Steering wheel RS4 badge & S button – How to replace both

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Surrey Sam
Cruising

Steering wheel RS4 badge & S button – How to replace both

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Ok, so your RS4 badge is peeling along with the S button. Unfortunately these are common occurrences on the RS4’s fitted with the flat bottom steering wheel. Neither are they cheap to fix, which is why they’re often left as an eye sore or bodge repaired – like the badge painted silver for example.

Mine were not in that bad a condition but over-zealous cleaning when I first bought the car had rubbed off a little from both and has since bugged me. Typically with RS4 ownership you cannot buy the items separately and instead have to buy the complete trims – RS4 Tax!

Click on pictures for larger resolution.
1.)
IMG_1554.jpg
Worn RS4 badge and Sport button
RS4 Badge Notes:
  • Correct badge is not available separately (read on for more details)
  • Air bag removal is required to remove the lower trim where the badge is fitted.
  • Complete RS4 badge & trim part number: 8E0498685 (circa £80 from your main dealer)
  • Tools required:
    10mm socket for battery terminals
    Torx T9 for RS4 badge trim
    Torx M12 for steering wheel centre lock nut
    Long & thin Torx T8 for lower steering column trim
    Torx T30 for Airbag
    Trim removal tools
2.)
IMG_1613.jpg
RS4 badge trim - 8E0498685
There is a similar RS4 badge available which is often advertised on the likes of eBay. This item is for B5 RS4’s and B7’s with the circular multi-functional steering wheel only. Some owners have fitted the badge from these models with some degree of success; the main issue being is that the fixing posts on the back are different to the apertures on the trim. Therefor it will require modification to fit the flat bottom steering wheel trim. I will not be detailing how to do that, in this post.

My advice is to buy the correct trim as a whole item and fit that. The reasons for this are because the 4x T9 torx screws often break the fixing posts they screw into. You’ll know this has happened if the screws just keep rotating around and around when trying to remove them. Secondly, the snap together clips holding the two bottom halves together are very fragile and can break easily in the removal process. Thirdly, in trying to release these clips you can chew up the edges which makes the trim unsightly once re-assembled.

RS4 Sport Button Notes:
  • You cannot buy the S button for the steering wheel separately
  • Airbag removal is required
  • Lower RS4 badge trim removal required – Read the above notes (you may think twice)
  • Complete steering wheel multifunction trim (4 button) part number - 8E0419689 (circa £198 from your main dealer)
  • Tools required – as per RS4 badge trim removal
3.)
IMG_1667.jpg
Sport button trim - 8E0419689
The main issue with replacing this button/trim, other than cost, is that you need to remove the lower RS4 badge trim first. This is because the multi-function trim laps up underneath the badge trim - see image 27. With the badge trim being quite delicate and problematic to remove, it may cost you an additional £80 to replace that item due to inadvertently damaging it in the removal process - One thing to bear in mind before starting out.

RS4 badge trim removal process:
Most important – I do not accept any liability for any damage or accident that could happen as a result of trying to follow these DIY instructions. The Airbag is an explosive device and when handled incorrectly, it could potentially detonate leading to personal injury. If you respect it, handle with care, all should be well and good.

First and foremost - DISCONNECT the battery before you do anything else to the car. The terminals are 10mm nuts, remove the earth lead before the positive lead. When the positive lead has been removed from the battery, refit the plastic terminal cover. Should the positive lead become displaced it will not be able to come into contact with the live terminal. I tuck both leads down the side for added peace of mind. Finally I switch the lights on to be sure that there is no power left.

4.)
IMG_1562.jpg
Negative terminal disconnection
5.)
IMG_1560.jpg
Positive terminal disconnection
Next, slide your driver seat into the full back position so that it can allow you some room to work in.

We're looking to separate the steering column trims by undoing two Torx screws located underneath on either side. You’ll require a Torx T8 for this but one that is long and thin - the Torx heads are a fair distance up into the holes and a short T8 driver cannot get onto the heads – you will need one that has a minimum 70mm length shaft that fits into the hole circumference - I used a Laser 3420 tool, as some advertised 100mm tools include the handle in the advertised length.

6.)
IMG_1570.jpg
Steering column cowling separation - Laser 3420 T8 driver tool
With both T8’s removed you can separate the column cowling trims, lift the top one up and fold it back onto the binnacle out of the way. Now you can remove the two covers located on the back of the steering wheel which hide some larger T30 Torx bolts - these secure the airbag to the steering wheel and are found at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock. I find pulling the steering wheel around to keep the bolt at the 12 o’clock position makes it easier to work on. You’ll need the key in the ignition to stop the steering lock from engaging though; this won’t be a problem as the battery has been disconnected. Right?

7.)
IMG_1576.jpg
Fold upper cowling backwards
8.)
IMG_1577.jpg
Airbag T30 fixings
The T30 bolts don’t come out all of the way and are held in the steering wheel, unless you use a pick to pry them out. With those undone the Airbag can start to be withdrawn from steering wheel, it will still have two connectors which will need to be unfastened before it is fully disconnected from the car. You should be able to do these next steps whilst holding the Airbag in one hand, do not let it dangle by the wires. Get assistance if you’re struggling.

9.)
IMG_1585.jpg
Airbag removal
First off is the yellow connector, it has a purple sliding catch which needs to slide all the way towards you whilst pulling the whole connector gently. It should release, leaving the white material covered wires going down towards the bottom and a black connector. At this stage there may be enough slack in the wires to place the Airbag on your lap (if sitting in the seat) whilst you disconnect the Black connector. When that is done the Airbag should be free and can be stowed safely. I popped it into the passenger foot well, while I carried on with the rest.

10.)
IMG_1587.jpg
Yellow Airbag connector disconnection
11.)
IMG_1589.jpg
Black Airbag connector disconnection
Now turn the steering wheel to be as straight ahead as possible, remove the key and engage the steering lock by moving the wheel slightly. It will probably lock slightly off centre, don’t worry. I find removing the steering wheel totally makes things far quicker and easier but you could do all the rest with the wheel still fitted to the car. I’ll carry on though and detail its removal.

12.)
IMG_1597.jpg
Engage steering lock
The centre bolt is a 12 splined Torx M12, some people use a Torx T55 but there is a small risk of damaging the bolt head if you choose to use a T55. With the M12 removed DON’T remove the steering wheel just yet. You will need to mark the splined shaft position to align the centre mark notch on the steering wheel. If you get this wrong, your steering wheel will be off centre come re-assembly. Look at the second picture to see what I mean.

13.)
IMG_1601.jpg
Torx M12 removal
14.)
IMG_1602.jpg
Marking the centre line
With the centre alignment mark made, you can remove the steering wheel from the splined steering shaft. I took the wheel inside the house and placed it onto a soft towel where I carried out the rest of the process. The towel will help protect the wheel from any scratches being inflicted onto both the aluminium effect trims and perforated leather.

15.)
IMG_1607.jpg
Steering wheel removal from splined shaft
16.)
IMG_1608.jpg
Reverse of steering wheel - 4x T9 torx
With the wheel flipped over you’ll see 4x T9 Torx screws which will need removing. If they just spin around and around, unfortunately the posts they screw into will have broken. You’ll now have to lever the trim off with them in situ. Take a look at the picture which shows all the catches arrowed, carefully these will need to be freed off as you separate the halves using thin trim tools. Mine had lots of contact adhesive applied previously which made it especially hard to remove, hopefully yours should be easier. Unfortunately I don’t have many pictures of the process as you could do with about 3 pairs of hands and I only had one hand with the other trying to document it using the camera.

17.)
IMG_1609.jpg
Remove 4x T9 torx screws
18.)
IMG_1621.jpg
All push clips arrowed
19.)
IMG_1623.jpg
Use trim tools to carefully separate halves
In this photo you can see the posts which have broken off from the opposing trim half.
20.)
IMG_1634.jpg
Broken posts - means the T9 screws spin around & around
With the bottom RS4 badge trim removed you can now move to image 25 in my next post below. Also if you are doing the S Button then that process is also detailed below. So keep scrolling down :thumbs:
Last edited by Surrey Sam on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Re: Steering wheel RS4 badge & S button – How to replace bot

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:32 pm

***continued***

Sport button trim removal - you must complete all the previous steps first:
To remove the S button trim put your fingers underneath the button areas and gently ease the trim up. Do this a little bit from each side at a time, as the fixing posts are not that strong if you pull it up fully from one side and then the next.

21.)
IMG_1643.jpg
S button trim removal
22.)
IMG_1644.jpg
Do each side, little at a time.
The large multi connector just lifts out of its place easily enough, then the whole multi-function button trim can be removed.

23.)
IMG_1645.jpg
Lift connector from the cut out

Sport button trim fitting:
Fitting the new multi-function button trim is just a reverse of what you have carried out. Be careful with the wires, make sure that they are tucked in and routed correctly in the trim. As you don’t want to trap them.

24.)
IMG_1647.jpg
Route wires through trim making sure they don't get trapped

RS4 badge trim fitting:
Now take the new RS4 badge trim and turn the steering wheel onto its face, you’ll see four holes which the back half of the trim fits into. Make sure that you line the posts up with the holes, push gently and evenly downwards.

25.)
IMG_1651.jpg
4 holes
IMG_1655.jpg
Align with previously shown holes
The top half can now be lined up and then the two pieces squeezed together.

27.)
IMG_1656.jpg
Clip the two halves together
28.)
IMG_1657.jpg
Squeeze to ensure clips fasten tight
This leaves the 4x T9 Torx screws left to fit, they do not need to be fastened tight so just nip them. You are only holding a piece of plastic together which already has 10 clips holding it together, over tightening will just break the posts inside.

29.)
IMG_1660.jpg
Insert 4x T9 torx and just nip tight
Finally the steering wheel is complete and looking good. Re-fitting it to the car is a reverse of what you have done to get it out. Remember to connect the battery up as the very last thing.

30.)
IMG_1662.jpg
Complete
Last edited by Surrey Sam on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Epic Sam. Simply Epic.

A guide with decent, in focus well composed shots - makes a refreshing change. Top work.

The steering wheel removal guide alone, is worth its weight...

Started to activate my 'S' button on the outer edge as opposed to the centre - it's in sound condition and can't be arsed to go through this with the associated cost!
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Superb attention to detail as ever Sam. :bowdown:

Please please do not sell the Sprint Sledge!
B5 B6 B7 B9

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Top man Sam

CellDamage
3rd Gear

Post by CellDamage » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Yeah excellent guide, shame it's so bloody expensive to correct this!

TimDogg
4th Gear

Post by TimDogg » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:24 pm

Excellent, truly - well done bro.
'13 Audi A4 Allroad - White (loaded)
'06 Audi RS4 - Sprint Blue (Non-res Milltek, valved)
'04 Lotus Elise 111R (Aubergine NOT purple) - will sell in the spring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez4KN_l7 ... SVUBYBWtEA
'56 ST220 (Sold)
'97 ST24 (Sold - loved lots)

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:07 am

Superb writeup Sam.
I searched everywhere for a compatible badge for the steering wheel.... short of some delicate painting with some model enamel, it was a non starter.
So i opted for a complete replacement of the lower trim which i bought from stoke audi for about 80 quid all done.
To re-use the old one with a suitable badge made no sense as it would have been wrecked while removing.
80 quid well spent just tosee a pristine scratch free badge.... even if im the only one who notices it! :-D

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:10 am

Many thanks guy's :thumbs: I do appreciate the comments, as it did take a fair amount of time to compile and put together.

Neil - The button covering should be ok with pressing inwards, just don't rub the surface of it like I did :bash:

Ian - The Blue sled's clock is ticking down but it's safe for now :nodder:

Audi_ddd - Details matter, good on you for doing it 8)

Tile Diver
4th Gear

Post by Tile Diver » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:58 am

Class write up Sam, a great help for all!!!! Cheers for taking the time!!!!! :beerchug:
B7 RS4 Avant 2007 Daytona Grey
Black Optics / Ti Pack
SS Suspension +
Sunroof
H&R Hubcentric Spacers
Milltek Res / Valved Cat Back
Stage 2 MRC Map
Cold Air Feed
Carbon Clean
Pre-Cats Gutted
447 PS

If in doubt.. Power out!!

Tile Diver
4th Gear

Post by Tile Diver » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:00 am

Gotta be a Sticky for sure!!
B7 RS4 Avant 2007 Daytona Grey
Black Optics / Ti Pack
SS Suspension +
Sunroof
H&R Hubcentric Spacers
Milltek Res / Valved Cat Back
Stage 2 MRC Map
Cold Air Feed
Carbon Clean
Pre-Cats Gutted
447 PS

If in doubt.. Power out!!

rob-s
3rd Gear

Post by rob-s » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:24 am

Very nice write up & pictures! More detailed stuff like this:)
Now you can remove the two covers located on the back of the steering wheel which hide some larger T30 Torx bolts - these secure the airbag to the steering wheel and are found at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock
In order to loose the airbag screws it is not necessary to remove these covers.
Daytona Grey B8.5 & Guards Red 981 / Ex.Audi RS4 B7 Sedan, Daytona Grey.

daytonamart
5th Gear

Post by daytonamart » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:06 am

Sam,

This is what the forum is all about for me. The time and effort involved in this write up is not to be under estimated.

Proper job. :nodder:
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

Ozzyz
3rd Gear

Post by Ozzyz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:10 am

daytonamart wrote:Sam,

This is what the forum is all about for me. The time and effort involved in this write up is not to be under estimated.

Proper job. :nodder:
+1 Top job Sam, this is what makes this forum so great :beerchug:

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:28 am

Brilliant work and guide, much appreciated although when I break down and spend a silly amount of money on a cosmetic detail a few millimeters in size I'll probably have my mechanic do it :)
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”