Our day at Cadwell ...

Organise and discuss trackdays and meets
HYFR
Cruising
Posts: 15530
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by HYFR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Mr Nudenut, PhilT and I have a great day today at Cadwell Park !

Image

:biggrin3:


So, our day started VERY early ! 0530 I woke up, and set off to meet nudenut on the A1M, this is where Adaptive Cruise Control is very handy ... set it at *ahem* 70mph, and relax ... 0635 and I hit the A1M section at Peterborough, ring Nudenut and he is 5mins away via the M11/A14 ... good planning !

So I do a go slow in the slow lane until I spot the tell tell LED's of a certain R8 :bowdown: .... drop it into Sport and bury the throttle .... oh yes, the 2 daddies of Audi are in convoy.

Nice run up to Cadwell, get there for 0815, just in time for noise testing.

Very funny ... LOON registers his standard 96dB ... but nudenut, who's Capristo is on par with ASBO with valves open, simply pressed a button, closed valves and his car was almost silent for the noise test .... they would soon find out how it really sounded !

Drivers briefing done and also find PhilT, who made a shorter 1hr dash over to Cadwell.

Having never been to Cadwell before, I was really impressed by it immediately, its in the country side, in the forests, lovely and green ! I think its nicknamed the UK Nurburgring, and no I was starting to see why, but I would find out fully why once we got out there

Weather was great, dry first and foremost, but with the sun breaking through the clouds it was actually boardering on hot !

So, out for the sighting laps ... WOW, really impressed by the circuit, a real good mix of bends, dips, blind crests, straights, inclines, sweeping corners, tight chicanes .... LOVE IT !

Image

Only problem was the track is very tight, quite narrow and really not suited to a big 2tonne barge ! well to be fair, i dont think the RS 6 is really suited to any track, but hey, I'll give it a go!

but I think even for the R8 and GT-R its a bit small, but still great fun.

Good mix of cars there, not much exotica, I'd say out R8, RS 6 and GT-R were the best cars there, lots of purpose track cars, including one very very quick widebody Ford Escort.

out on track proper, its great fun ! ok, the RS 6 is big fat and heavy, but can still have some fun in it, but as I was still learning the circuit, was not pushing it, but quickly found the tyre temps getting hot very quickly due to the warm day and lots of corners ... when they got to 80c I would call it a day and come in.

Nudenut took PhilT out in the R8 and so I went to view and take some photos

OMG .... the sound of that bloody R8 is so immense ! It would go past you and you'd still hear it for the next 2 minutes ... I swear at times it was the only bloody car I could hear on track !

:<beep>_you:

:jump:

another session, nudenut jumped in with PhilT and I went out ... getting faster now

btw, do my brakes look small in this ? :bigwave:

Image

final session of the morning, nudenut came out with me, which is always good as he's quite knowledgable and had some good tips. on his instruction i put ESP into Sport Mode and drove with the paddles in S mode. These two things made a huge difference as now the TC wasnt cutting the power everytime I was exiting a corner and putting the power down, and I was fully in control of the gears .... this made me much faster, and more enjoyable - cheers nudenut !

Image

Afternoon came, it rained briefly at 1pm, but quickly brightened up and back to warm sunshine !

So some more sessions. I went out with nudenut in the R8 ! FECK

:notworthy:

Its just epic, epic epic !!

grip everywhere, outright speed, balance, noise, brakes .... wow

also some brilliant sideways action, just laugh out loud fun!



Also, went out with PhilT in his GT-R .... was very impressed. Never been in one before, but its great. Very very quick and hides it weight fantastically, you wouldnt know it was 1800kg. and I had no idea it was RWD in the corners, and you really felt it as a passenger, it was so adjustable mid corner and had loads of grip....also, PhilT can drive, despite him saying he cant! only reveal he hauled a fat ass C5 round the ring in 8.30 !


So, all in all, a great great day out. 420 miles, 2 / 3 tanks of fuel and lots of money later

great track, great weather .... car, mmmm not so great, but its no track car .... need to find myself an R8 V10

:kissmyrings:

Image

Image

Image




nudenut / PhilT - show us your pics !!!


:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

HYFR
Cruising
Posts: 15530
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by HYFR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:49 pm

when I got home, I couldnt resist washing it and getting it back to gleaming

Image

Image

Image

Image

ps. do you like the Ring Bus ?

HYFR
Cruising
Posts: 15530
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by HYFR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:49 pm

stolen from nudenut

Image

Image

User avatar
Nudenut
4th Gear
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:05 am
Location: Essex UK

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by Nudenut » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Great write-up DK and yep, what a great day, awesome!

Just wish Cadwell was nearer, did 530 miles today :shock: but couldn't think of a better car for it!

Few pics....

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Only regret was not putting the 888's on yesterday! Roll on the 'Ring next week, happy days indeed !!
R8 V10 Coupe, R-Tronic - Ibis White & All the Carbon + Ceramics + Heffner Performance Twin Turbo.

rs6666
2nd Gear
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by rs6666 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks for the write up guys!! top motoring! What do reckon would be faster around that track GT-R or R8 V10? did you have any battles?

User avatar
Nudenut
4th Gear
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:05 am
Location: Essex UK

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by Nudenut » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:55 pm

rs6666 wrote:Thanks for the write up guys!! top motoring! What do reckon would be faster around that track GT-R or R8 V10? did you have any battles?
Was a trackday, no racing allowed :wink:

In a straight line theres nothing in it really, R8 was just slightly quicker but in the corners and on the brakes the R8 wins due to weight and mid engine balance.

Have to say the GTR is VERY well behaved for a front engined car, turns in well, hooks up nicely and Phil is a very good driver, plus remember it's the first time Phil had tracked the GTR so some learning to be done and he was getting faster and more relaxed as the day went on.
R8 V10 Coupe, R-Tronic - Ibis White & All the Carbon + Ceramics + Heffner Performance Twin Turbo.

User avatar
gdavison
5th Gear
Posts: 1233
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: Hampshire / Berkshire

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by gdavison » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 am

great pics guys thanks for sharing :biggrin3:
Ex RS6 C6 Driver, gone but not forgotten.. The best car I have ever owned

User avatar
Nudenut
4th Gear
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:05 am
Location: Essex UK

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by Nudenut » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:06 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j4rWaCSnZA

Nice and sideways over the mountain for the crowd at 5:40ish LOL
R8 V10 Coupe, R-Tronic - Ibis White & All the Carbon + Ceramics + Heffner Performance Twin Turbo.

User avatar
Ian_C
Cruising
Posts: 6411
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 10:11 pm
Location: Bedford

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by Ian_C » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:20 am

Good write up guys. :thumbs:
B5 B6 B7

HYFR
Cruising
Posts: 15530
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by HYFR » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:51 am

Nudenut wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j4rWaCSnZA

Nice and sideways over the mountain for the crowd at 5:40ish LOL

:jump:

User avatar
PhilT
RS246.com
Posts: 8616
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:03 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by PhilT » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Sorry for the delay... Got home, washed the car, spent some time with the kids, had some dinner and fell asleep!!!

What a day!!! So excited that I woke up at 4:30am and decided to get up. Had been bricking it due to the weather; the GT-R does not like standing water. I decided I needed to build my confidence with the GT-R and not wimp out and take the RS4. Got there just after 8am and made sure I was following the instructor on the sighting laps to refresh my memory (I went to Cadwell last year with Open Track and had a session with instruction).

First few laps were a getting a feel for the car and trying to remember all the lines. The GT-R was in Race/Race/Race (Gearbox/Suspension/Traction). Not sure how many laps I did, but started to get worried as the brakes were fading. Turns out that I think I glazed them a little and managed to sort it with some good heavy braking attempts and trying not to lean on the brakes for too long.

Highlights for me:
- GT-R was awesome. The reason I bought it was to have a 2+2 that I could use at the track after a long break whilst the kids grew up a bit.
- Nigel and Dave are top fellas
- The laps with Nigel were ace. Nigel has way more confidence than me and hats of for rescuing the cars from a few "moments". Made me realise I could push the GT-R a little harder :)
- Dave's RS6 was sadly a little heavy to take around. I think that once the lines were cleaned up, Dave was putting better times in and keeping the heat out of the tyres. The laps with Dave were absolute luxury, especially with the double glazing :D
- I took 5 different passengers. Dave and Nigel and some random people who couldn't believe it when I asked if they wanted to come round with me. Always enjoyed taking passengers and I'm pretty sure they enjoyed it too. Each session was followed by a pic and upload to Facebook.

Anyway, it was an excellent day. Love the GT-R and found that I was starting to get a rhythm and doing what seemed to be consistent and tidy laps. Need to see what the deal is with the brakes and maybe investigate the path to ceramics. Suspension may need some work too.

This is the picture that sums it up for me; flat out, pax and huge grin :)

[album]1136[/album]

More pics here - http://forum.rs246.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=130
RS246 Shop - RS246 Window Stickers and RS6 Keyrings

Current : 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI, 2010 Nissan GT-R Premium Edition, 2014 Audi S3 Sportback

Ex : Clio 172 Cup, B5 RS4, C5 RS6+ (249/999), S2 Coupe, Ex-Police Senator 3.0 24v, Ford Escort 1.3

User avatar
sonny
Cruising
Posts: 10278
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:30 am
Location: Kent

Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by sonny » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:33 pm

WOW great write up guys, glad to read that you lot had a nice day. Also chuffed that you three*s exotica ruled the roost :)

Dave, glad you liked the circuit, its amazing, my fav UK track.

Gutted I had i pull out.... Dam it!!!!

Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a well sorted racecar

User avatar
Reflect Russ
Unauthorised Trader
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:50 pm
Location: where ever work takes me....
Contact:

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by Reflect Russ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:13 am

PhilT wrote:Sorry for the delay... Got home, washed the car, spent some time with the kids, had some dinner and fell asleep!!!

What a day!!! So excited that I woke up at 4:30am and decided to get up. Had been bricking it due to the weather; the GT-R does not like standing water. I decided I needed to build my confidence with the GT-R and not wimp out and take the RS4. Got there just after 8am and made sure I was following the instructor on the sighting laps to refresh my memory (I went to Cadwell last year with Open Track and had a session with instruction).

First few laps were a getting a feel for the car and trying to remember all the lines. The GT-R was in Race/Race/Race (Gearbox/Suspension/Traction). Not sure how many laps I did, but started to get worried as the brakes were fading. Turns out that I think I glazed them a little and managed to sort it with some good heavy braking attempts and trying not to lean on the brakes for too long.

Highlights for me:
- GT-R was awesome. The reason I bought it was to have a 2+2 that I could use at the track after a long break whilst the kids grew up a bit.
- Nigel and Dave are top fellas
- The laps with Nigel were ace. Nigel has way more confidence than me and hats of for rescuing the cars from a few "moments". Made me realise I could push the GT-R a little harder :)
- Dave's RS6 was sadly a little heavy to take around. I think that once the lines were cleaned up, Dave was putting better times in and keeping the heat out of the tyres. The laps with Dave were absolute luxury, especially with the double glazing :D
- I took 5 different passengers. Dave and Nigel and some random people who couldn't believe it when I asked if they wanted to come round with me. Always enjoyed taking passengers and I'm pretty sure they enjoyed it too. Each session was followed by a pic and upload to Facebook.

Anyway, it was an excellent day. Love the GT-R and found that I was starting to get a rhythm and doing what seemed to be consistent and tidy laps. Need to see what the deal is with the brakes and maybe investigate the path to ceramics. Suspension may need some work too.

This is the picture that sums it up for me; flat out, pax and huge grin :)

[album]1136[/album]

More pics here - http://forum.rs246.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=130
Glad you guys enjoyed it as it sounded a great day for you....just one thing though Phil see the highlighted in bold....YOUR SUPPOSED TO FILL ME WITH CONFIDENCE not scare the living shizzle out of me mate....

User avatar
PhilT
RS246.com
Posts: 8616
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:03 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by PhilT » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 am

I have a spare set of tyres that are supposed to be better in the wet.... No guarantees though!!!
RS246 Shop - RS246 Window Stickers and RS6 Keyrings

Current : 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI, 2010 Nissan GT-R Premium Edition, 2014 Audi S3 Sportback

Ex : Clio 172 Cup, B5 RS4, C5 RS6+ (249/999), S2 Coupe, Ex-Police Senator 3.0 24v, Ford Escort 1.3

User avatar
W8PMC
Cruising
Posts: 3052
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:18 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Our day at Cadwell ...

Post by W8PMC » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Looks like you had fun:)

Phil, regarding the R8 vs GT-R question, was the R8 quicker in the corners? Never went head to head with an R8 on track other than straight line.
Paul
03 Black AmD Stage3 C5 RS6 Saloon (Sold)
05 Blue DMS E60 M5 (Sold)
07 Blue DMS B7 RS4 Saloon (Sold)
10 White Nissan R35 GT-R Premium Edition SVM Stage 4 (Sold)
12 White D4 A8 TDi SE Executive (Sold)
14 Grey LCi F10 M5 (Rejected)
14 Blue DMS Stage 2 LCi F10 M5 (Sold)
17 Grey FFRR Autobiography (Rejected)
17 Black D4 A8 TDi Black Edition (Sold)
18 White APR Stage 2 Golf R 7.5 Estate

Post Reply

Return to “Trackdays and Meets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests