Inlet flaps

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
BenHol
2nd Gear

Inlet flaps

Post by BenHol » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:20 pm

My inlet flaps seemed to have created a fault in the car this week, PSI in stoke were great and reset them for me. I'm considering a flap delete now, do others think that's best and maybe a decoke at the same time?
Last edited by BenHol on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS4 B7 - Phantom Black, 20in RS6 C7 alloys, Joey mod, detango, led drl, black optics, Bilstein b16, Michelin ps4s, centre res delete, black tips, 8mm spacers, vx lenses, RS embossed xenon, Carbon splitter, 034 ARB.

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Re: I let flaps

Post by MIDZ » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:44 pm

I'd check for vacuum leaks in the system first, other circuits (power-flap solenoid, exhaust-flaps..etc) can affect separate vacuum circuits (IM-flaps) which are otherwise ok.
Ran VCDS output tests on mine the other day and it showed up that I have a vacuum leak at the power-flap on airbox, no vacuum pressure left as soon as engine was switched off.
The power-flap solenoid is dead and I'm losing vacuum pressure through it.
Removed hose to PF and plugged with golf tee as temp fix till I fit new solenoid. All systems working again during VCDS output test-plenty vacuum with engine off, just need to lose some skin and draw blood fitting new solenoid....magic

BenHol
2nd Gear

Re: Inlet flaps

Post by BenHol » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:51 am

Oops just realised how many spelling errors were in my original post.

If it is a vacuum fault would it have reset ok do you think? As it seems fine now he has reset it.
RS4 B7 - Phantom Black, 20in RS6 C7 alloys, Joey mod, detango, led drl, black optics, Bilstein b16, Michelin ps4s, centre res delete, black tips, 8mm spacers, vx lenses, RS embossed xenon, Carbon splitter, 034 ARB.

BenHol
2nd Gear

Post by BenHol » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:53 am

MIDZ wrote:I'd check for vacuum leaks in the system first, other circuits (power-flap solenoid, exhaust-flaps..etc) can affect separate vacuum circuits (IM-flaps) which are otherwise ok.
Ran VCDS output tests on mine the other day and it showed up that I have a vacuum leak at the power-flap on airbox, no vacuum pressure left as soon as engine was switched off.
The power-flap solenoid is dead and I'm losing vacuum pressure through it.
Removed hose to PF and plugged with golf tee as temp fix till I fit new solenoid. All systems working again during VCDS output test-plenty vacuum with engine off, just need to lose some skin and draw blood fitting new solenoid....magic
That's all makes sense out of curiosity is a VCDS system expensive ?

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:48 am

A reset does what it says really Ben, so if you went below the limit on vacuum pressure that day and the IM flaps never rotated enough as per ECU command up comes a fault, although that doesn't necessarily mean its the IM flaps at fault, again you could be losing vacuum somewhere else which is affecting the IMF circuit. Now you've reset it, all is good until you maybe dip below vacuum pressure limit again due to a small leak....just my opinion and there's loads of old threads on here which helped me understand.

VCDS is a great tool, and the output test is expertly posted on here in FAQ's
Loads of VCDS packages for sale now starting at @ £225 from Ross-Tech UK dealers, and flea-bay but be careful of Chinese rip-off copies, I found a web-page somewhere that shows the visual difference between rip-off & genuine...I'll try and find it again mate

BenHol
2nd Gear

Post by BenHol » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks for this, Iv now got a VCDS and found the fault. There is no faults relating the low vacuum. Will this be picked up by the VCDS?

BenHol
2nd Gear

Post by BenHol » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:43 am

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:49 pm

I don't think there is any way VCDS can show vacuum pressure as a figure or throw a fault to tell you it's low, but what you're trying to determine is there an electrical issue or a vacuum/mechanical issue with your IMF which the output test will provide by cycling that circuit.
I had no vacuum pressure stored with engine off so during testing solenoids would click away but nothing would move, power flap solenoid wouldn't click and no movement so decided to blank it off as a starter for six, low and behold ran engine to top up vacuum, switched off and now during output test IMF, exhaust-flaps all working.
Changed power flap solenoid today, audi wanted £86 for part-same new PIERBURG solenoid from ebay £34. All good and everything testing as normal
Last edited by MIDZ on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenHol
2nd Gear

Post by BenHol » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:29 am

I ran the out out test and everything worked ok, all flaps opened and closed. Although during the test the power flap did not fully close each cycle. It went from fully open to half closed and open again!

I also ran another fault test on engine ll this also brought up the same fault for bank 2.

It hasn't now got stuck in the past two days after intermittently sticking on Friday.

I'm going to call unit 20 today I think unless there are any other thoughts?

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:09 am

Sounds like your issue is with IMF control or position sensor and not vacuum then, that power flap should fully close aswell as I've read on here that can give you mixture issues by drawing in hot air

Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Post by Rw@@dy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:16 am

I had similar faults with the manifold flaps, ended up going to unit20 and had the manifold rebuilt, the runners were broke

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”