Easy Apple play/waze solution

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Carlson
2nd Gear

Easy Apple play/waze solution

Post by Carlson » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

I thought i'd share what i've done to my C6 RS6 to enable the 2G sound system to
run my apple iphone to listen to music and use Waze.

On my C5 RS6 i had fitted a very modern and brilliant Pioneer Apple Play set.
I find it really important these days to use Waze everywhere i go due to the speed camera/police
updates.

When i purchased my C6 this year i instantly fell in love with the car, but i found the 2G system
compromised my driving experience too much.

I did not get as far as researching putting in a Pioneer set as i was concerned that i would lose the ability
to adjust suspension settings etc if i removed the 2G Audi system so this is my hack-

1. I bought a 'Brodit' iphone holder (i have one in my Porsche after much research it is the best, least obtrusive and
least like an uber driver prius phone holder. It is neat and looks as factory as a phone holder can do.

https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicle ... 653508.htm

2. I bought this blue tooth solution for the 2G MMI audi system (i wrongly purchased the 3G cable first, and the 2G MMI system will
not supply power to the blue tooth unit, the 2G cable has a USB input cable that you can power the blue tooth unit from your cigarette
lighter socket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373670965796

IT WORKS!

I now have the ability to listen to my iphone music whilst using the waze app at the same time (or digital radio through an app) using the Audi 2G MMI auxillary input which the blue tooth cable is plugged into in my glove compartment. My iphone is linked via blue tooth to the cable, but the even better news is, that my iphone is ALSO still linked to the Audi handsfree system at the same time (i.e. two bluetooth connections) meaning hands free phone calls still work whilst using waze/music.

It's a cheap fix to update the old 2G MMI system to be pretty much an Apple Car Play system.

I hope this helps some of the member here.

Ranger4130
Neutral

Re: Easy Apple play/waze solution

Post by Ranger4130 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:31 pm

I’ve just received a £6 cable from Amazon. I had hoping to plug my iPhone via lightening cable to a USB input on the MMI connection. No joy. Actually going to send it back as it literally does nothing.

Your solution seems like a great solution so I’ve brought on of these too.

I too use waze…. Guilty pleasure of mine, If I’m going long distances I’ll set it to avoid motors ways. Great fun doing it this way in these cars hehe.

I’m moving towards the idea of getting apple CarPlay onto the 2g system but haven’t got a spare £500 at the moment but will get there soon.

Great find there sir

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:19 pm

I'd love an android version, mainly as use Waze or (as an alternative) Google Maps & CamSam (speed cams) and want the audio to come over the cars speakers. For music I've got an old Classic iPod (120GB?) in the glovebox so losing that and moving to Spotify etc is not an issue.

***EDIT*** - Thinking about it, it should work for Android as well as you're just using your phone (irrespective of make) so you only need to bluetooth the audio over to the aux input. Thinking that way I've also given this a go and ordered the same parts (but a Samsung S20FE holder) and will report back once the bits arrive in a few weeks.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Carlson
2nd Gear

Post by Carlson » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:55 pm

Ian this will work with Android

VaudiGR
3rd Gear

Post by VaudiGR » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:46 pm

I'm looking into P&P solutions for android auto on the main screen. I think it's the way forward.
My car also has a TV tuner which only plays audi as I believe it doesn't have a dvb-t option and also a cd changer that I will probably never use anyway. I have seen systems that take over the cd changer for the android auto which integrates beautifully with the 3g mmi

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:04 pm

There's a few Android Auto/Apple Carplay devices for our 2G High MMI, using the screen and steering wheel controls etc but everything is around £500 for that level of integration, not including any fitting needed etc so, for me at least, whilst it's the "best" option overall it's not the best VFM at that price point.

Phuketpaul
1st Gear

Post by Phuketpaul » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:11 am

I have the extra box that does Android Auto/Car play and it works really well, although I paid quite a bit less than £500 but I have 3G High and the android auto boxes are different for the different systems. It is very well integrated with all the steering controls working and I can switch between the 2 systems simply by a long press on the Nav button (although you have to change the sound source to Aux on Media if you want sound the the Android Auto as well, the only minor drawback is that it doesnt use the screen between the dials to give directions.

An equivalent Android Auto solution for my other car is £1795 !!!!!!!
2010 RS6 plus Avant, MRC Stage 2 747bhp 1059Nm
2008 Aston Martin DBS Volante
2001 Discovery 2

VaudiGR
3rd Gear

Post by VaudiGR » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:16 am

Phuketpaul wrote:I have the extra box that does Android Auto/Car play and it works really well, although I paid quite a bit less than £500 but I have 3G High and the android auto boxes are different for the different systems. It is very well integrated with all the steering controls working and I can switch between the 2 systems simply by a long press on the Nav button (although you have to change the sound source to Aux on Media if you want sound the the Android Auto as well, the only minor drawback is that it doesnt use the screen between the dials to give directions.

An equivalent Android Auto solution for my other car is £1795 !!!!!!!
Which one did you get?

Phuketpaul
1st Gear

Post by Phuketpaul » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:49 am

[/quote]Which one did you get?
[/quote]

Don't know, bought it off someone who had bought who had mistakenly bought it for his 2G RS6
2010 RS6 plus Avant, MRC Stage 2 747bhp 1059Nm
2008 Aston Martin DBS Volante
2001 Discovery 2

c3nturi0n
3rd Gear

Post by c3nturi0n » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:54 pm

I checked one car with 3G MMI before summer... slightly better interface but it is worth knowing that the B/tooth streaming (SpotifyYT premium etc.) wasn't supported.
2008 RS6 Avant (Monza Silver)
- Stage II MRC tune with gearbox (720PS/850Nm)
- MIJ Powerflow exhaust (non-res)
- H&R ARBs

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 pm

IanH755 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:19 pm
Thinking that way I've also given this a go and ordered the same parts (but a Samsung S20FE holder) and will report back once the bits arrive in a few weeks.
Bits arrive tomorrow so I'll give it go and let folks know if it works and, if it does, how easy it was to setup.

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:58 pm

Right, yes it "works" but it's all gone wrong with these three things -

1st - I'm a moron - I bought the holder for my S20 FE Phone but forgot I have a whopping great hard plastic protective case on it, so to use the holder I have to take the phone in/out of that every time right now which is a faff. The holder is, unsurprisingly, designed for only the phone and holds it very tightly so I don't think even a slim protector could still be fitted and yet still fit in the holder. So I have a choice to make on how I use my phone, is it car use mainly (so no protector can be fitted) or walking around use mainly (fit the protector, don't use the car holder), or option three get a different protector which is easier to fit/remove (mine is very tight so a mare to get off). This blends into No2 really..........

2nd - The "trim prising tool" did absolutely nothing as the plastic tool is so flexible it can't open any gap, never mind one big enough between the trim and dash for the holder to be fitted so, combined with point No1, I've held off fitting the holder for the time being. Next time I'll use something a little stiffer which should get the job done as I really like the holder and it's looks/position, it's just a faff to use/fit right now.

3rd - The BT dongle worked great and does everything you would want, only my unit maybe defective as I only get audio out of the cars left speakers when I use it (drops the volume too and has a buzzing sound when muted). Other than that the functionality is fantastic and it does allow music/waze etc to all interact seamlessly.

So, if I decide to take my protector off AND then fit the holder AND get a replacement BT dongle then everything will work out brilliantly. If I don't do just one of those things the whole exercise has been a waste.

FML :D

Carlson
2nd Gear

Post by Carlson » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi Ian,

Ok: I completely get the case thing. I solved this by moving
onto an "SP Electronics" hard case with one of their sticky plastic mounts stuck onto the phone holder: it works a treat and will provide everything you require (a phone case to protect your phone plus a way of attaching your phone to the holder without removing it from its case).

Regarding the plastic tool: I've used it successfully in two cars: 997 and RS6; it just opens a *small* gap wide enough for the holder to enter the first 2mm of the trim, you then push the holder in further to seat it correctly.

Carlson
2nd Gear

Post by Carlson » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:16 pm

https://sp-connect.co.uk/collections/ph ... 6836410466

I'm not sure if your exact model of S20 but there are a few to choose from.

I use SP to mount my phone on my motorcycles too, which get ridden at speed without ever losing a phone, so it's a good system. I also have an armband to attach the phone to me when I'm jogging or cycling.
Last edited by Carlson on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carlson
2nd Gear

Post by Carlson » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:19 pm

You stick this on the phone holder: it's solid as a rock.

https://sp-connect.co.uk/collections/ca ... hesive-kit

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”