cd disc for rnsd

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
carlssonaero
1st Gear

cd disc for rnsd

Post by carlssonaero » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:38 pm

I have a 2003 avant. I will need a new gps aerial as wherever the car goes it seems to say it is in some random place but the map software is also antique. Does anyone know the year of the latest cd map we can use with the rnsd system which I want to keep to retain originality

Many thanks

Julian

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: cd disc for rnsd

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:58 pm

The RNS-D takes Blaupunkt Travelpilot DX disks, if I remember correctly.

Looks like 2013-2014 was the last release.

I don't know about the RNS-D, but a couple of years ago I got an email from Tomtom saying that my (long since retired) sat nav would stop working because of the GPS week number rollover that happened on the 6 April 2019. This effectively turned the device into a paper weight. I don't know if the RNS-D is affected by this. I suspect not because we would have heard more about it. Worth checking before you spend money on a map update though.

Anyone still using nav on an RNS-D? I haven't tried mine for about 5 years.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Ditched mine within the first few months of getting the car. It's shelved in the garage now. It's honestly not fit for purpose for anyone who uses the car to travel. I put 10-15k miles on mine each and every year running around the Lake district, Scotland, Wales etc.... I'd be lost without Android Auto and Spotify.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 pm

Sure, but I get the desire to have it working correctly.

I have built in nav in most of my cars but always use my Tomtom. What’s the point of nav if you don’t have traffic and speed camera info.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:12 pm

Same here Ben. I rely on my Tom Tom.
It has never let me down.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 pm
Sure, but I get the desire to have it working correctly.

I have built in nav in most of my cars but always use my Tomtom. What’s the point of nav if you don’t have traffic and speed camera info.
Android Auto has both of these features :bigblink:

I'll always keep the old stuff just for originality, but then I have to ask myself, what really is the point ? Would you keep an old telephone set in a car ? When it has zero use. What about the TV systems that no longer work or have a function due to the digital age ?

I guess looking way down the line in another 15 or 20 years it would be a nice touch to have a fully original classic. I guess if I had a Ferrari Dino, I'd be horrified if someone had ripped out the cassette player for some digital Spotify monster :bash:

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:16 pm

That’s exactly it. That’s pretty much where we will be soon.

Think of all those RS2 that were modded and molested. Now a good one costs up to 80k.

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:18 am

My original sat nav works but it’s a hell of a faff using it.
So I use my Tom Tom which is just so easy.
I have the original boxed disc. Don’t think I have ever looked at it.
If I am going anywhere I automatically grab the Tom Tom.

norwichphoto
2nd Gear

Post by norwichphoto » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:45 pm

My RNS-D nav works but the map is out of date. At the moment I'm running Waze and audio books through an FM transmitter. I've yet to find an aftermarket head unit that looks as if it was factory fitment, both in terms of knobs and buttons, but style of display.
2003 Audi RS6 C5 Saloon in Avus Silver, with black leather upholstery
1977 Lancia Montecarlo Evoluzione track car. (wife approves)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:50 pm

You could use the TV tuner aux input to get video on the display using an Android device with video output.

carlssonaero
1st Gear

Post by carlssonaero » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:22 pm

Thanks all

I usually use waze or google maps from my phone and have the audio come through the car hi fi as I have a connects 2 Bluetooth unit hidden behind the rnsd. Like others have said I would just rather it all worked as well as it can so I will look for an updated disk. Also the gps aerial will need changing as it doesnt recognise where the car is and is usually about 40 miles out!

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:48 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:58 pm
The RNS-D takes Blaupunkt Travelpilot DX disks, if I remember correctly.

Looks like 2013-2014 was the last release.

I don't know about the RNS-D, but a couple of years ago I got an email from Tomtom saying that my (long since retired) sat nav would stop working because of the GPS week number rollover that happened on the 6 April 2019. This effectively turned the device into a paper weight. I don't know if the RNS-D is affected by this. I suspect not because we would have heard more about it. Worth checking before you spend money on a map update though.

Anyone still using nav on an RNS-D? I haven't tried mine for about 5 years.
Mine still works fine, in a 2002/3 D2 S8. Latest Blaupunkt DX maps as noted above.
To be honest for most places it's fine, most roads are unchanged since 2013 unless you're trying to battle central London traffic restrictions.
Though obviously you only get old-school RDS-TMC traffic congestion info, but it does still work.
(Actually it doesn't work as standard because Audi didn't pay the licence fee so their software won't do RDS-TMC, but the Mercedes version which I use works fine :thumbs: )

carlssonaero
1st Gear

Post by carlssonaero » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:47 pm

I have found a 2014 map for sale for £20. Will I also need a disk to update the firmware or will that not be necessary. Not sure when it was last done but in 2019 the system worked fine until the unit stopped recognizing where I was and out me about 50 miles away which someone says means the gps antennae needs replacing thanks all.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:02 pm

There are loads of forgeries of the travel pilot disks. The rms-d is fussy about CD quality. Make sure you can get a refund if the disk is duff.

Don’t think you’ll need new firmware. On my Volvo the firmware is included on the disk, but it’s a completely different system.

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:49 pm

carlssonaero wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:47 pm
Will I also need a disk to update the firmware or will that not be necessary.
There is a firmware update for older units, but that's a separate process and probably irrelevant. IIRC it enables map zoom resolution down to 0.05 miles rather than 0.1 miles, among other minor improvements.
The DX disk includes both the the map data and relevant software, so that's all you normally need.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”