Cam Belt Plus Chain ?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Cam Belt Plus Chain ?

Post by Shoppinit » Tue May 04, 2021 5:53 pm

Just maintain gentle pressure. No point getting their backs up. Try to find out what the issue is. They might be struggling on a technical point and don’t dare say.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue May 04, 2021 5:53 pm

Where are they? Malvern?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Tue May 04, 2021 6:56 pm

norwichphoto
2nd Gear

Post by norwichphoto » Tue May 04, 2021 6:59 pm

I recently did my own cambelt. I borrowed the tools from Chris and it was all very straightforward, although time consuming. All the parts came via my local Audi dealer, who was cheaper than TPS, and whilst they weren't in stock locally, everything was ex-stock with Audi UK HQ and was waiting for me within 48 hours of placing the order. I ordered all new fasteners for everything I replaced.

All of the nuts and bolts used came undone quite easily provided the right tool was used. Audi seem to like a mixture of normal hex headed fasteners but also Torx, allen hex sockets and bi-hex types, and choosing the wrong tool can easily go wrong, and renders a 10 second undo into a 3 hour palaver. Tools also wear, and a worn tool is more likely to slip on a bolt that has been reused - which reminds me I need to replace my 6mm hex socket as its worn.
2003 Audi RS6 C5 Saloon in Avus Silver, with black leather upholstery
1977 Lancia Montecarlo Evoluzione track car. (wife approves)

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue May 04, 2021 7:30 pm

Mine to. Is there a particular brand that is good for hex sockets, without being snap on prices?
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

norwichphoto
2nd Gear

Post by norwichphoto » Tue May 04, 2021 8:04 pm

Facom usually have a good reputation.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue May 04, 2021 8:26 pm

Facom is my favourite tool brand.

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:41 pm

Yes facom are really good quality.
Mark. Something is not right. Been in that situation a few times with local garages and it is painful.
That’s why I now have a 5 to 6 hour round trip to unit 20.
Hope you get it sorted mate in the very near future.
Hope you are a lot calmer than me. I would go ballistic with the garage as I have a short fuse.
That doesn’t help in these situations but I cannot help myself.
Fingers crossed for you.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 pm

I'm beginning to wish I'd made the journey to Unit 20, I really am :-(

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue May 04, 2021 10:13 pm

Steve's right. It doesn't add up, all the hard stuff was already done in the pic you posted.

steve2003rs6
Top Gear

Post by steve2003rs6 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 pm

Personally I would visit the garage and discuss the problem with them. Confirm a agreed date for completion and get assurances that they will complete the work by that timescale.
Hopefully that will be the end of it.
Needless to say I wouldn’t be using them again.
I usually judge a company on how they perform when things go wrong.
I don’t think they have been honest with you.
Honesty to me is everything where a garage is concerned.
If there’s no trust then there is no point.
As I said earlier been there done that.
Last edited by steve2003rs6 on Tue May 04, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue May 04, 2021 10:44 pm

My "set" is a mix of all sorts, but I do fancy standardising a bit. I have various snap-on ratchets which are decent enough - but a set of 3/8" hex bit sockets is 304 quid. Bit much to be honest.
So Facom it will be. I assume proper Facom, not Expert by Facom.
Shoppinit wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:26 pm
Facom is my favourite tool brand.

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Wed May 05, 2021 12:18 am

I'd say the brand is not important, with global rebranding and off shore manufacture, the actual tool is the point of difference. Facom is sold in Aust along with just about every other world brand but I have never seen one in use. I have bought brands I never heard of and have brands that have long shut their doors and the thing they all have in common is they are functional and perform without fault. Form, Fit, Function.

I don't buy from chain stores, always use specialty shops and have found some real gems in the smaller businesses. Happy to spend top $ on something I might use every day or that has a safety implication but I wouldn't pay Rolls Royce (snap-on) figures for something that I only use once every few years.

No intention to preach, I'd assume that any professional mechanic will have a full suite of quality tools anyway and this is largely hobby or interest based plus those amongst us that have a property full of cars and trucks and boats...........
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:35 am

Mark-RS wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 pm
I'm beginning to wish I'd made the journey to Unit 20, I really am :-(
One year I went to Audi instead of Grizz for my cambelt chanhe (they price matched and my work also cut my holiday short). I had issues with them, they couldn't do it in a day/ snapped bolts off and only told me when I went to pick it up on the night. I said I'd go and rebuild it myself but they wouldn't let me, I stormed into the garage (didn't go down well) to look at the car, they knew after about 3 hours they couldn't finish it but wouldn't phone and tell me. Then, when I finally picked it up, the intercooler hose blew off on the way home!
I've always recommended Grizz/ Unit20, being a mechanic myself I can see how good he is.
IMO, either drive there or get it trailored there if its too far. I wouldn't trust anyone else personally.

Hope your car gets sorted Mark. That crowd look like a back street garage after seeing your pictures. I'd be concerned about the paintwork!!! This might end up costing 2x as much as taking it to Grizz in the long run :cry:
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

norwichphoto
2nd Gear

Post by norwichphoto » Wed May 05, 2021 10:17 am

"Expert by Facom" is Britool Expert. Whilst a cheaper solution, Facom are still backing it a lifetime warranty (assuming tool used correctly and not neglected / modified).

I have a Halfords Professional socket set and it seems quite robust and good value if you get a set on sale or have a Halfords trade card.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”