Neutral

Re: Factory ordered RS4

Post by mxm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:32 pm

DadRacerX wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:26 pm
mxm wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:18 am
Thanks for the replies

From all the above answers, I guess the majority here would vote towards not optioning the sports exhaust and use the 1250 towards a miltek system.
WOAH WOAH WOAH There!!

I bought a 70 Plate (Facelift) RS4 in January with a stock exhaust. I was never lucky enough to own an RS model, let alone anything over 200ps for a long time. It was/is my dream car.

Before taking the plunge, I read alot of negative comments about the sound. The V8 purists who belittled the V6. We need to accept these are different times. V8 days are over.

I picked the car from the dealer, popped it in Dynamic mode and WOW!! It sounded great, inside and out. People turn when they hear me coming, so I know it's loud enough. It is a little contrived, but I suppose that's what happens when you get a heavily tuned, but efficient German engine.

I wasn't spolied with the b8 V8 sound, so I thought the RS4 sounded brilliant. I also have 3 kids so there are times, when comfort mode NEEDS to be comfortable.

HOWEVER, I have decided to call back to my dealership and have the factory optional RS Sports Exhaust (black tips) fitted... and NOT a miltek.

Having heard all the exhausts, the factory RS one has a better tone (subjective, I know) But I feel the Audi one screams much more (Ferrai-esque), what you would expect from a V6.

The miltek / Remus, just seem to be louder and a much more of a low grumble, not what a V6 sounds like in my opinion. The ABT one sounds great, but who buys an RS only to have quad pipes fitted!?!? 😂

That's my two cents anyway. Good luck with whatever you do!
Went and drove the RS4 a final time and a few others cars as per suggestions from others.

I actually quite like the sound as is too although is a bit quiet. I suspect I'll be content with a valve controller and maybe the middle res delete but we'll see. I think I've decided to get the sports exhaust also.

As for the other stuff...

Audi are being sneaky it seems, with the introduction of "Functions on Demand" they are hiding some features on newer cars. Most importantly for me, speed limit display on the MMI. (it looks like it will be hidden completely behind a software paywall for cars without the assistance pack). It also seems like traffic sign recognition will be purchasable through this new store front in the near future without having to spec the assistance pack.

Anyhow, I'm happy the RS4 Is the car which fits my criteria and was about to order Nogara blue but have been offered a slot for the Nogaro edition which would be 1 of the 25. I'd have to lose my lunar silver interior and carbon bits though... so have some decision making to make!!

Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Post by Avantgarde » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 am

I believe the Nogaro Edition costs more than Vorsprung? If it does, I’m not sure if I’d go that route.

nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Post by nastro azzurro » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am

It’s 80 odd grand, which is a bit cheaper than a Vorsprung.
Don’t know what options it comes with though.
Love the colour but the black wheels and ally trim would put me off.

stevo55
5th Gear

Post by stevo55 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:44 am

DadRacerX wrote:
mxm wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:18 am
Thanks for the replies

From all the above answers, I guess the majority here would vote towards not optioning the sports exhaust and use the 1250 towards a miltek system.
WOAH WOAH WOAH There!!

I bought a 70 Plate (Facelift) RS4 in January with a stock exhaust. I was never lucky enough to own an RS model, let alone anything over 200ps for a long time. It was/is my dream car.

Before taking the plunge, I read alot of negative comments about the sound. The V8 purists who belittled the V6. We need to accept these are different times. V8 days are over.

I picked the car from the dealer, popped it in Dynamic mode and WOW!! It sounded great, inside and out. People turn when they hear me coming, so I know it's loud enough. It is a little contrived, but I suppose that's what happens when you get a heavily tuned, but efficient German engine.

I wasn't spolied with the b8 V8 sound, so I thought the RS4 sounded brilliant. I also have 3 kids so there are times, when comfort mode NEEDS to be comfortable.

HOWEVER, I have decided to call back to my dealership and have the factory optional RS Sports Exhaust (black tips) fitted... and NOT a miltek.

Having heard all the exhausts, the factory RS one has a better tone (subjective, I know) But I feel the Audi one screams much more (Ferrai-esque), what you would expect from a V6.

The miltek / Remus, just seem to be louder and a much more of a low grumble, not what a V6 sounds like in my opinion. The ABT one sounds great, but who buys an RS only to have quad pipes fitted!?!? Image

That's my two cents anyway. Good luck with whatever you do!
The biggest bugbear in many many reviews is the lack of sound. With the FL model it’s even worse with the filters. It’s a performance car so it should sound like one! Look at the sound Alfa get out of their 2.9 V6-the RS4/5 is knocked out of the park and that’s with the sports exhaust. I had the sports exhaust on my 5 and it’s just wasn’t good enough hence the Milltek going on.
I think you’re in the minority of thinking it sounds amazing am
Afraid. It’s your car so if you’re happy that’s all that matters but it’s the biggest gripe most people/reviewers make about the platform.
We’re all going EV slowly so may as well go out with some noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust. now gone
2017 BMW M3 Comp Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2012 BMW M135i 3 door. MP brakes and AC Schnitzer springs. JB4 tuning box
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
2001 BMW 330 ci convertible.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

mxm
Neutral

Post by mxm » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:26 pm

nastro azzurro wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am
It’s 80 odd grand, which is a bit cheaper than a Vorsprung.
Don’t know what options it comes with though.
Love the colour but the black wheels and ally trim would put me off.
I agree about the wheel/trim combo of the Nogaro edition.

That coupled with a higher price + an interior colour which wasn't preferable, I've gone for the carbon black w/ exclusive paint option.

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Do bear in mind on the exhaust sound, as heard inside the car is synthetic as the car's audio system is fed with fake exhaust sound - you can turn it off with VCDS/OBD11.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Post by Avantgarde » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:53 am

RS4John wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:21 pm
Do bear in mind on the exhaust sound, as heard inside the car is synthetic as the car's audio system is fed with fake exhaust sound - you can turn it off with VCDS/OBD11.
Yes, as I mentioned in an earlier post I turned the soundaktor off and it sounds the same as an RS4 without Sports Exhaust, so I question the difference if at all between the two types of exhaust, other than the black tips.

Alfa_nut
Neutral

Post by Alfa_nut » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:55 am

Am I reading this correctly? The £1,250 sports exhaust option on a B9 RS4 may only be an embedded soundtrack and different coloured tips??
Can anyone verify this, I mean are there different part numbers for the various bits of exhaust ?

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:50 am

It seems possible, yes. We have the same issue with F3 RSQ3, when you look at the physical exhaust system (twin outlets, valves each side) the part numbers on the boxes themselves on the chrome trim (non-sport) and black trim (Sport) are identical. Both current RS4 and F3 RSQ3 have the OPF filters downstream of Cat' and this seems to rob us of aural delight.

We can add an AVC, set the valves to permanently open and get something back that is at least half way likeable.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Dannyboy123
1st Gear

Post by Dannyboy123 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:44 am

It does seem audi are ripping us off on the sports exhausts. If you were to buy the two different silencers with different colour tips from the parts depth, Audi change the same price for them.

mxm
Neutral

Post by mxm » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:45 pm

Just to finish off a topic, It's arrived, here is a pic! :mrgreen:

Attachments
IMG_7239.png

nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Post by nastro azzurro » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:15 pm

Lovely!

Dannyboy123
1st Gear

Post by Dannyboy123 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:33 pm

mxm wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:45 pm
Just to finish off a topic, It's arrived, here is a pic! :mrgreen:

Car looks lovely. What full spec did you go for?

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”