DRC: While you’re in there jobs

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MapleSyrupJizz
Neutral

DRC: While you’re in there jobs

Post by MapleSyrupJizz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:57 pm

Hi all,

I’m getting the DRC overhauled before the car comes back on the road on the summer. This is all shocks, flexi hoses, hard lines, the lot.

I understand the hardlines are a big job and lots of stuff needs to come down to cater to get this done. Especially in the rear.

What I’m asking while all that work is getting done are there any “while you’re in there” jobs that are worth doing?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
B

coffey555
5th Gear

Re: DRC: While you’re in there jobs

Post by coffey555 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:15 pm

Rear subframe needs dropped and the fuel tank lowered.

See how bad any corrosion is and fix it. Subframe will likely need to be refurbished (blasted, zinc coat primer and then epoxy painted) with new bushes.

Fuel filter may as well get changed at the same time. Diff mounts etc.

This is my next job, replace the entire DRC system (currently on coilovers), new brake lines and everything else underneath that needs doing!

Probably better doing now before the DRC parts are no long available....

Hope you don't need the central control valves, they are not cheap!
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

MapleSyrupJizz
Neutral

Post by MapleSyrupJizz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:56 pm

Yeah that’s my thinking. Get it all sorted while parts are available. I have front shocks, all flexis and hard pipes. Just need rear shocks.

Fuel filter has been done not too long before it went into the shed for winter. I wanted to put braided hoses for the brakes on but the hard lines were quite bad so I’ll be doing them too. Are the fronts tricky?

Half thinking of buying a 2nd hand subframe (there’s one I know of in Germany) and prepping that an doing a swap

Thanks a mill for the info. Pretty much confirmed my thinking.

Let’s hope the valves are good now.

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:28 am

Iirc the engine has to be slightly lowered to access the front brake line. I fitted braided lines to mine and the rear hard lines were pretty corroded at the joints to the flexis. There was no way they were coming undone so I cut them off at a straight run and flared both ends and put a joint in similar to the ones at the front left wheel housing . Brought a nifty flaring tool which let's you do it in situ and you cant go wrong with it .
Can echo what has been said about corrosion on parts of the underbody .Shocking really how under protected it is in some places .. Apply Bilt Hamber products and they should see you well .

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:52 am

There's central valves going for a good price on ebay from the US. I bought two and no drama, parts arrived quite quickly. I have to be honest and say I've not opened the box yet to have a look at them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-OEM-Audi ... 4802203223

MapleSyrupJizz
Neutral

Post by MapleSyrupJizz » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:36 pm

dhali wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:28 am
Iirc the engine has to be slightly lowered to access the front brake line. I fitted braided lines to mine and the rear hard lines were pretty corroded at the joints to the flexis. There was no way they were coming undone so I cut them off at a straight run and flared both ends and put a joint in similar to the ones at the front left wheel housing . Brought a nifty flaring tool which let's you do it in situ and you cant go wrong with it .
Can echo what has been said about corrosion on parts of the underbody .Shocking really how under protected it is in some places .. Apply Bilt Hamber products and they should see you well .
Yes same thing has happened me and the guys working on it have suggested what you have said (if I'm understanding them correctly). Thanks for the info!

MIDZ wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:52 am
There's central valves going for a good price on ebay from the US. I bought two and no drama, parts arrived quite quickly. I have to be honest and say I've not opened the box yet to have a look at them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-OEM-Audi ... 4802203223
Thanks for that. I've seen a few central valves for sales on ebay at not too bad a price. Is there any way of telling if they're still OK or not?

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:59 pm

I bought 3 from the seller listed above. All brand new so should be fine once installed. They are genuine Audi parts so exactly what you would receive from a dealer parts department.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”