B8 > B9

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Yanto
Neutral

B8 > B9

Post by Yanto » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:19 pm

I’ve had a B8 RS4 (15 plate now on 20k miles) for just under a couple of years now. It has been great, reliable and served us well, particularly last year with a trip to Marbella and back.

Just fancy trying something different and a B9 is an obvious contender along with other stuff (RS6, Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Macan etc.).

I assume several folks have made the B8>B9 jump and was seeking perspectives (regrets / no regrets !)

Cheers

Silverfox42
4th Gear

Re: B8 > B9

Post by Silverfox42 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:48 pm

Following this thread response with interest.

I went to a Mini Clubman Cooper S as did not want to spend the money on a B9 or a '6, and have reverted to a B7 'vert in the garage for the V8 fix.
2017 RS6 Performance
Previous:
2006 RS4 B7 Cab, 2014 RS4 - Suzuka + a ton of toys, 2011 RS5, spec'd up + ABT exhaust, 2006 B7 RS4 'loon - 5 years of fun! 2006 Aston V8 Vantage, 2006 S4 Cab, 2005 S4 Avant, 2000 TT 225 Cab, 2001 2.5 A4 TDI Quattro, 2000 A4 1.8T Sport, 1996 2.6 80 Cab, 1997 A4 1.8 T Sport

Elpeterol
1st Gear

Post by Elpeterol » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:56 am

I went from a B8.5 S4 to a B9.5 RS4 and the difference is amazing , not just the performance but the overall interior and the usability of the on board systems. The touch screen mmi and matrix headlights are just a couple of examples.

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:38 am

coming from a 13 plate B8 to a 18 plate B9 its night and day performance and handling wise
the B9 is sharper in the bends as it considerably lighter for me it feels like i can push it harder in the corners which i felt lacking in the B8
the obvious big leap is the tech i don't have the touch screen system but everything is easy to use and nice crisp graphics on the virtual cockpit
the interior is what you would expect from Audi excellent fit and finish
the 1 minus for some is the sound the B8 had a great V8 noise but form me im happy with the V6 sound (i have the sports exhaust) when pressing on
have owned all the RS4 to date my visceral feelings for the are

B5 loved it the turbo boost pushing you into the seat the look just enough to tell you its not a boring estate car my first proper fast car
B7 loved it the roar of the V8 the shove after 5500 revs the ease as it took the B roads the bucket seat connecting you with the chassis and it was a good progression form the B5
B8 the gear box was fantastic but the car over all was too heavy to push on the B roads as well as the B5 or B7 an upgrade in tech form the B7 but looking back it a model i could have missed
B9 love it the power the handling the ease as it eats the B roads properly in love with the RS4 again
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Post by nastro azzurro » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:23 am

I have a B9 facelift now and owned a B8 from new too. Both on DRC with sports pack.
I didn’t go from one to the other but had a Range Rover and a JCW’s mini between the two. The mini I still have.
I test drove the B9 on launch and impressed as I was with performance I wasn’t enamoured with the front end looks, enough to actually put me off ordering one straight away.
Hence the other cars in between.
By the time I’d convinced myself to get one they had shut the order books and I didn’t want a used one.
Roll on 2020, the facelift was out and to me looked so much better so I bought one. Couldn’t be specced up as previous B8 so bought a Vorsprung which had all the bits I wanted.
As mentioned, aside from the noise, the cars are very different. Interior is lovely and feels modern unlike the B8 which had been around since 2012 (saw one on the road the other day, still looks good though!)
Performance feels so different. Power is more linear and feeds in smoothly which makes for a nicer (for me) driving experience. It’s lighter too and doesn’t crash around so much on the rubbish roads I have around me.
Matrix headlights are excellent and I prefer the MMI now I’ve got used to it. Voice control is really good too.
Also, I like the sound the V6 makes. I know some have changed the exhaust for something louder but my shouty days are over I feel!!
I don’t think you would regret changing and there are some tempting machines around, but once you’ve had an RS it’s hard not to have one in your life.
Good luck, it’s a nice thing to have to contemplate!

Yanto
Neutral

Post by Yanto » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:24 am

Great feedback guys, thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:49 pm

Yanto wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:19 pm
I’ve had a B8 RS4 (15 plate now on 20k miles) for just under a couple of years now. It has been great, reliable and served us well, particularly last year with a trip to Marbella and back.

Just fancy trying something different and a B9 is an obvious contender along with other stuff (RS6, Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Macan etc.).

I assume several folks have made the B8>B9 jump and was seeking perspectives (regrets / no regrets !)

Cheers
As a left field suggestion take a look at the current RSQ3 - space wise it is pretty similar. Audi conservatively rate the engine at 400PS, Dyno tests suggest stock engines on 99 Octane fuel push out 420PS. The driving experience is different - the 2.5 5 pot engine adds a lot of aural character, with or without the Sports Exhaust option. It is frighteningly quick and the sound sends a tingle down the spine.

I went from a 340PS RSQ3 to a B9 RS4 with almost every option (ex factory press car) and never felt the drama and excitement that RS Audi vehicles are supposed to have - most likely because the B9 was good at everything, and sold it to return to an RSQ3, changing in October to the current F3 version.

Very few press reports rave over the model and yet all the owners love the things - maybe would be worth looking at.

2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

simundo777
2nd Gear

Post by simundo777 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:36 pm

No real regrets but do miss some elements of the B8. Handling is worth it alone, the car feels so much lighter on it's feet. The B8 felt like a big barge to me.

I miss the v8 noise so much, the V6 sounds so average whatever mode you have it in.

For making progress down the road it just feels so much more usable and a much better daily.

Looks wise, to me the B8 felt like a neater design and showed off the arches more but there is no denying the road presence the B9 has.

Alfa Quad would be hard to ignore though, I purposely didn't test drive one as I knew I'd want one but amazingly when I was looking last year prices were similar. Now the Alfas have plummeted where as the RS4 would still cost me the same to get a like for like car.
Current: B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
Gone: B8 RS4 Nogaro Edition. BMW 1M. Cayman 981S. E90 M3. E46 M3 CS

nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Post by nastro azzurro » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:04 pm

I drove the Alfa and it’s great. Rear wheel drive so you do have to respect that and feels (is!) phenomenally quick. The noise is something else, especially for a V6. Inside though....oh dear. Doesn’t feel like a 65k car. Not many options and no pan roof because of carbon roof so ruled out for me.
Rare on the road though but as said, don’t hold value very well.
A consideration nevertheless!

Rs4spark
3rd Gear

Post by Rs4spark » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:09 am

Good morning Yanto,

Don't really look on this forum much, tend to be on the Facebook RS4 Owners Forum now which has great members too .
I suppose its easier to use on my mobile.

Best of luck deciding what to go for,
I have owned 3 B8's really wanted a B9 and missed the boat on ordering the first time round when I was ready due to WLTP etc etc.

Finally ordered the B9.5 end of 19 and it arrived march 20- Carbon Black edition .

What a fantastic bit of kit, far advanced in every way over the B8 , I did not opt for the DRC suspension and have really enjoyed the last 5K over the last year without it.
if you can stretch for the facelift model you will not regrets it, it should hold better future value and has much better tech.
I love the lighting - makes me smile every time Iopen / lock the car in the dark.

I have also owned 3 Macan, one was the GTS - which was a fantastic bit of kit- slightly down on space over the RS4 , and certainly down on power but also did everything required of it.

For me the any RS4 Avant's are the only cars I think you will ever need, great all rounders- good for holiday - shopping trips & even trip runs but most importantly they are great for fast road driving and putting a smile on your face

Enjoy what ever you chose :D
Sold B9.5 RS4 !! WHY i keep asking ! looking sat ordering another before a new model arrives
RS4 2020 Navarra & Jet Blue Gen 1 R8
RS4 Sepang 2015
RS4 Suzuka 2014
RS4 Cab Daytona 07
RS4 Cab Phantom 58
RS4 Cab Phantom 06

Crazy, also too many to list in between, get board too quickly but hopefully not this time !!

Yanto
Neutral

Post by Yanto » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 am

Again, thanks for the feedback. Good to hear these viewpoints.

Graeme4130
Cruising

Post by Graeme4130 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:47 pm

I went from from two B8's over 80k miles to a B9 early 18 and have covered 45k in mine now
You do miss the V8 noise a bit, but you soon get over it as soon as you smash the pedal and don't need to be at 7k rpm to get anywhere
The B9 is quite a bit faster everywhere than the B8 and the lighter V6 motor means the car doesn't understeer into every corner
It's no rear drifting M3, but it's quite neutral and you can get all 4 wheels to slide pretty well in it, if that's your thing
The tech and interior is obviously a lot more modern than the B8 and the full digital dash is really nice as you can customise it
MPG is a bit better if you're concerned about that, and I think I'm on about 27mpg lifetime whereas the B8's were around 20
For daily driving, which is what I use mine for, the B9 is another level as the TT motor layout means you have pretty much instant torque in any gear, and although the Torque converter gearbox isn't as good as the DSG in the B8, you don't need to go down 3 gears every time you floor it, so you soon get used to the slightly lazier shift speed
Personally, I think the B8 looks better, but looks are entirely subjective
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”