In the future...

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Wardy43
Neutral

In the future...

Post by Wardy43 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:55 pm

With these cars being 15 years old now and Audi now saying that parts have gone obsolete, where are you buying parts from? And what does it mean for these cars in the future when you simply just can’t get the part you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy43
Neutral

Re: In the future...

Post by Wardy43 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:03 pm

Do I take it no one else is concerned or am I missing a trick in where to buy parts?

ramy.abdelazim
Neutral

Post by ramy.abdelazim » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:11 pm

No you're totally correct. Scotty Kilmer on YouTube talks about this sometimes. It will be more and more difficult to get parts over time for sure. But really, the alternative is to buy, say, a Toyota Corolla. Those make much more sense but are a lot less fun.
I do think this community should take what you're talking about more seriously and find a way to fix the issue over time. I'm really not sure what the answer is though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:17 pm

I've had similar thoughts with my C6 RS6. I'm concerned that there isn't more of a culture of rebuilding parts etc. Look at other marques and you will see where supposedly sealed parts are now being rebuild and reused. The DRC on all these cars shouldn't be a case of throwing away parts.

Wardy43
Neutral

Post by Wardy43 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:53 pm

Surely like Porsche you should be able to keep older models of the RS brand looking mint with genuine parts

jamiej
2nd Gear

Post by jamiej » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:39 pm

I don't doubt that you will... The price of the parts to do this however will skyrocket.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Current
'07 - Audi RS4 Avant Daytona Grey
'16 - BMW M135i F20 (LCI)
Gone
'02 Audi 8L A3 1.9 TDI (PD)
'03 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
'96 VW Golf VR6
'91 Toyota MR2 NA
'90 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9
'90 VW Mk2 Golf GTI 8V

kerraddoo01
Neutral

Post by kerraddoo01 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:02 am

Interesting. We see other marques now offering manufacturer rebuilds back to as new. Would have thought there was similar mileage/prestige in this for Audi with the RS line as there is for Jaguar, Porsche etc, even Peugeot. My B7 is for keeps so I certainly hope a solution is found. Triumph Stag Owners Club bought the tooling for some parts if I remember.

Rhys-US
Neutral

Post by Rhys-US » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:36 pm

I totally agree with this post.
I find it much more difficult than before to find it. It bothers me a lot as I am a old car collector and I enjoy to renovate cars
“Some beautiful paths can't be discovered without getting lost.”

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:43 pm

That's pretty unsettling news, I know for sure that while I love the car and it's a keeper, it's a highly strung beast and tends to need parts...
If things are not available or command an even higher price than now it will be a tough job keeping it going..

How do older RS models fair at the moment, anyone have one?

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:00 pm

Well from reading the C5 RS6 pages, they are always hunting around for parts! Because of that, they have a very good community spirt, people searching for alternative parts to keep them on the road. They also have plenty of knowledgeable people always willing to help out because they have likely done the same job at least twice!

Hopefully the B7 forum will go the same way as the cars get older. And at least with more of them made, there will be more cars to break for parts. The DRC system on the B7 seems much more reliable once they switched to the V3 versions. I can't wait to get rid of my KW V3's.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:16 pm

coffey555 wrote:Well from reading the C5 RS6 pages, they are always hunting around for parts! Because of that, they have a very good community spirt, people searching for alternative parts to keep them on the road. They also have plenty of knowledgeable people always willing to help out because they have likely done the same job at least twice!

Hopefully the B7 forum will go the same way as the cars get older. And at least with more of them made, there will be more cars to break for parts. The DRC system on the B7 seems much more reliable once they switched to the V3 versions. I can't wait to get rid of my KW V3's.
Cheers, the DRC it's one of my worries.
I got two done under part goodwill, but the other two are original....

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:59 pm

TPS had the shocks, flexi-hoses and hard pipes in stock in November when I bought a complete SS+ setup. I also have a few brand new DRC central control valves as well.

And a pair of brand new front SS shocks that I might not need.

You can still get OEM springs but H&R and Eibach ones are easily available.

I believe there is a place in South Africa that rebuilds DRC shocks so no reason why it can't be done here in the UK as well.

If you want to keep the car OEM and it's a keeper, now is probably the time to buy some bits whilst you still can.

It's only really the DRC system that is a worry. Brakes discs, calipers and pads will be available for years. And trim can be sourced from breakers or repaired.

When I had my car painted there were already some parts unavailable. The painter also said he would not paint another B5 RS4 (he did one just before my B7, red with silver interior, which is the same as mine!) because you just can't get the bits anymore. If things break when taking it apart for painting, you have to fix what you have got!
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

irn_bru_ce
2nd Gear

Post by irn_bru_ce » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 pm

I recently had to source an RS4 steering rack after a leaky seal. I could pay Audi £1400 for a remanafactured rack, or send my own to a local firm for the same treatment for £180. Only issue was the garages are not keen on having a rackless car stuck on a ramp while the rack is refurbed, so I ended up getting one from a breaker on ebay, and fitted that for now, if it has an issue them I will get my original refurbed and have it refitted.

While I was getting quotes for the rack from Audi, I also asked about the power sterering pump, £1100+vat, mental prices considering there are plenty 3rd party available for £100

Think the newer cars will have it a lot harder, those new LED headlights are £2200 each, and I have already seen some units with elements that flicker or dont' light
Current - 07 Avus Silver B7 RS4 Avant : Ceramics, Non Valved Non Res Milltek, K&N filter, SS+, adaptive xenons, black optics, KW3, 034 rear ARB, rear drop links & front adjustable top arms.
Past - 00 Saxo VTS : 266mm Mi16 calipers, Quaife ATB, 20mm torsions bars, 24mm ARB, Vibratechnics mounts
87 Vauxhall Belmont: 1.6L, 15" rockford fosgate subwoofer in 3 cuft sealed box, 5ch Rockford fosate amp, JBL components

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”