Newbie with a questions

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
spidmack
Neutral

Newbie with a questions

Post by spidmack » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Hi Folks, Today I dropped off my 3 year old M4 Competition and picked up a new RS4 Vorsprung then very happily drove around 300 miles back to my home. Saying that also Ioved my M4 but wanted some more comfort. So far I'm happy to say my new RS4 seems perfect.

Due to COVID there was no handover or quick 10 mins demo. My last 3 cars have been BMW's and I'm not fully familiar with display options yet.

One issue I had which I hope is me rather than some odd quirk is regarding moving up a menu on my iphone. For example. Using the steering wheel I can see tracks on an album and choose, a track, skip forward or pause however I cant find anyway to move up a level to list all my albums or artists. The same goes with listing phone no's I can see all my recent phone no's but cant move up a level and choose to list all the no's. This issue is only when I use the steering wheel controls. I can move around menus using the big centre "ipad" screen. I have an iphone.

If someone has any tips I'd appreciate the help

Many thanks

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Re: Newbie with a questions

Post by RS Owner » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:01 pm

Are you using CarPlay or the Audi MMI?
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

spidmack
Neutral

Post by spidmack » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi I was using Apple car play. Any ideas would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spidmack
Neutral

Newbie with a questions

Post by spidmack » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:28 am

RS5 Owner wrote:Are you using CarPlay or the Audi MMI?
After many hours spent trying to look at a fix. Here’s where I am -

If you choose Apple talk as the connection. The steering wheel controls don’t work at all. In fact a message appears on the digital dash to say as much.

If I choose MMI as the connection for my iPhone. The steering wheel controls have very limited functionality. For example you can choose a track on an album you have selected from the touchscreen however there is no way to choose another album or show playlists

The same is similar using the phone when it’s connected via Audi MMI you can select a recently dialled no but there is no way to list my iPhone phone directory from the steering wheel controls.

(Updated) I tried adding up the telephone numbers manually as a favourite in the touchscreen however there is a limit of twenty.

It seems the audi digital dash has a huge basic flaw when you try to control an iPhone via the steering wheel controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partymonkey
Neutral

Post by partymonkey » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi Spidmack,

Not sure this is much help to you as I have a pre-facelift B9 (assuming yours must be a facelift model) and an Android phone.

When connected via MMI, I have no issue accessing my phone's directory on the Digital dash (see attached pic..sorry, no idea why it's landscape). I'd need to do a bit more playing around with the music to replicate your experience there, as I just dumped all my tracks onto the Juke Box and play them on shuffle mode. I've not yet tried Android Auto with the car but I'm still only in my first few weeks of ownership and still navigating the tech in the 'Starship Enterprise'

I understand the facelifted B9s have a new infotainment system, but I'm afraid I have no clue if that would be the reason for your phone directory difficulties on the digital dash or indeed if the MMI is more Android friendly over IOS.

Good luck with your efforts to find a solution.
20201023_173035.jpg
Jon - RS4 B9

Isleaiw
Neutral

Post by Isleaiw » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:14 pm

420m range - how does that happen?

nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Post by nastro azzurro » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Yes, only ever shows 335 range with full tank on mine...

Isleaiw
Neutral

Post by Isleaiw » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:11 pm

nastro azzurro wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Yes, only ever shows 335 range with full tank on mine...
That’s more what I am expecting....do you get 335 or is that a struggle?

spidmack
Neutral

Post by spidmack » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:54 pm

Hi many thanks, On my 2020. You only have two options "calls list" & "favourites"

It's really pretty lousy. I thought about adding my address list no's manually to fav's and started doing this however it's limited to 20 no's .

This may seem a bit extreme but if I don't get a solution sadly my new car will go back. I've already veered into the middle of the road once while trying to search for a name using the new updated touchscreen MMI. I've tried to use voice recognition and 9 times out of 10 it fails.

My dealer has been advised of my situation. I regularly go on long journeys. At the moment, if I want to find a phone no which isn't on my recent dialled no's I have to pull over into a lay by or motorway service station. I've even considered buying some basic add in hand's free blue tooth kit but having just bought an £80K car dont want any extra wires / hardware,

Thanks for your reply. It's appreciated. I really hope there is a solution. It's fabulous car but just isn't fit for purpose if there aint a solution to this problem :-(

partymonkey wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:56 pm
Hi Spidmack,

Not sure this is much help to you as I have a pre-facelift B9 (assuming yours must be a facelift model) and an Android phone.

When connected via MMI, I have no issue accessing my phone's directory on the Digital dash (see attached pic..sorry, no idea why it's landscape). I'd need to do a bit more playing around with the music to replicate your experience there, as I just dumped all my tracks onto the Juke Box and play them on shuffle mode. I've not yet tried Android Auto with the car but I'm still only in my first few weeks of ownership and still navigating the tech in the 'Starship Enterprise'

I understand the facelifted B9s have a new infotainment system, but I'm afraid I have no clue if that would be the reason for your phone directory difficulties on the digital dash or indeed if the MMI is more Android friendly over IOS.

Good luck with your efforts to find a solution.

20201023_173035.jpg

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:03 pm

The thread reminds me of the frustrations of MMI in the pre-facelift B9 RS4 I had.

My current RSQ3 has the latest MMI system with the touch screen and it works absolutely perfectly - the voice command to call a number us "Call - 'the contact name in your phone' ", for Navigation its "Drive to - 'the desired destination' ".

What we don't know is how extensively Audi have reworked the FL B9 MMI, if it's the latest touch screen UI on top of the previous generation infotainment system then that was flaky at best.

Audi MMI has, historically, made extensive use of the Bluetooth protocol stack so things like the Remote SIM Access profile (used for a data connection), where as Apple have selectively implemented parts of the stack which has meant iPhone users are continually disadvantaged.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”