AGM Battery Replacement?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Banbury
Neutral

AGM Battery Replacement?

Post by Banbury » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi Chaps, I need your advice ...

I am ordering a replacement battery for the car. But - I am not sure if this is the correct type/ size etc?

-YUASA 020 9000 Series AGM Car Battery - 4 Year Warranty. Part No : 971NA0490 4 Year Guarantee
-Car is RS4 Avant B8 model registered December 2014

Note: My old M3 had a Bosch battery and I have no clue about "YUASA"... Also I had to have the CTEK charger connected M3, while I changed the battery, as folks said it would need "recoding" if no battery connected for too long.

Happy to go with your recommendations if you know what will fit and work. :D

Many thanks!

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Re: AGM Battery Replacement?

Post by johnnydog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:31 am

I have a January 2015 registered B8 (manufacturered Oct 2014) which threw up a suspension fault light in November last year on a cold start up. Took it to Audi, who stated the battery was knackered and it had shut down systems detecting low battery voltage throwing up the fault light but there was no actual suspension fault. As it is an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery a genuine replacement would be in the region of £250, but they would do it for £150.
But as a bonus, they then said that it would be replaced under warranty as the car has a 5 year 90k extended manufactureres warranty purchased when the car was new.
The actual replacement battery has to be programmed to the car otherwise some of the electrical systems will not work correctly. This took about 1- 1 1/2 to fit and and reprogramme - I was lucky that it was all done under warranty.
When I was looking at the price of batteries before it was confirmed it was a warranty job, they weren't much cheaper than buying a genuine battery from Audi. Out of warranty, the reprogramming factor has to be taken into account too.
Subsequent extended warranties don't cover batteries so I am glad it decided to fail when it it did.

Banbury
Neutral

Post by Banbury » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:37 pm

That’s a great idea. Also appreciate the heads up on the coding. 👍

RSrichmond
Neutral

Post by RSrichmond » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi there, my rs4 b8 sat in the garage last year only moving to run and free up brakes etc. The day it was booked in for MOT & service it threw up a suspension fault code/warning. After its test I gave it a long drive to charge up battery but same thing happened following day, Also noticed the MMI screen border went from orange to red. Changed the battery myself with one from eurocar parts! Instantly the red changed back to orange and has been perfect since. I had also heard that the battery would need re-programming, but I took the chance and Everything works as it should.
Rs4 b8 Sepang blue
Rs5 b9 Riviera blue

Banbury
Neutral

Post by Banbury » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 pm

RSrichmond wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:14 pm
Hi there, my rs4 b8 sat in the garage last year only moving to run and free up brakes etc. The day it was booked in for MOT & service it threw up a suspension fault code/warning. After its test I gave it a long drive to charge up battery but same thing happened following day, Also noticed the MMI screen border went from orange to red. Changed the battery myself with one from eurocar parts! Instantly the red changed back to orange and has been perfect since. I had also heard that the battery would need re-programming, but I took the chance and Everything works as it should.
Great info’. I was going to book into Cheltenham Audi but will try this first.👍

FreddieWatts
Neutral

Post by FreddieWatts » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 am

I’m not sure if you have already found the right car battery for your car, but to answer your question, any AGM car battery is an ideal choice as long as it meets the requirement of your car. In my case, I got a Bosch S6 AGM battery from this Audi battery provider online. So far, I have no complaints. All I had to do was ask a professional mechanic to see my car and check the manual, so I won’t pick the wrong battery in terms of size, voltage, and CCA ratings. I suggest you do the same. Also, nowadays, the actual replacement battery has to be programmed to the car otherwise, some of the electrical systems will not work correctly.

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 pm

Yuasa are good batteries. I have had several on other cars and they lasted well (as long as they were looked after and not allowed to stand discharged for long periods).
I don't know how accurate this is, but I was told by an Audi Master Tech that one function of the reprogramming is that the cars electrics need to recognise the new battery. If you have been running a low voltage battery before changing it, the charging relative to the battery condition is different. It didn't really make sense to me as I thought that was what the alternator did, but apparently that's why the battery should be programmed to the car. It will work without the reprogramming, as others have said, but apparently it should be done. The QR code on the battery is the information the reprogramming requires.

Banbury
Neutral

Post by Banbury » Sun May 09, 2021 8:23 pm

FreddieWatts wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 am
I’m not sure if you have already found the right car battery for your car, but to answer your question, any AGM car battery is an ideal choice as long as it meets the requirement of your car. In my case, I got a Bosch S6 AGM battery from this Audi battery provider online. So far, I have no complaints. All I had to do was ask a professional mechanic to see my car and check the manual, so I won’t pick the wrong battery in terms of size, voltage, and CCA ratings. I suggest you do the same. Also, nowadays, the actual replacement battery has to be programmed to the car otherwise, some of the electrical systems will not work correctly.
Thank you for all the feedback.
Sorry for the very late reply... Purchased a latest gen CTek. Ran the AGM conditioning mode.
Everything works a treat now. :D

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Mon May 10, 2021 7:21 pm

Yay!
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”