RNS-D to RNS-E conversion?

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
Foxmeister
4th Gear

RNS-D to RNS-E conversion?

Post by Foxmeister » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 am

What's involved if its a proper unit out of a 6 and faceplate is same etc, is it plug and play or does anything need changed/updated/coded?

Also, is it worth bothering with, better nav, sound etc or will it still be an outraged piece of sheeoit?

Considering the one in the classifieds if it's worth the effort

benh999
3rd Gear

Re: RNS-D to RNS-E conversion?

Post by benh999 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:15 am

Some people like it for the OE looks however I personally feel that there are much better aftermarket units out there from Kenwood/Pioneer and you can buy the fascia adaptor plates and Bose loom adaptors too :thumbs:

Ajc
4th Gear

Post by Ajc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 am

I've just fitted one , if you know your way around wiring then it's a really easy conversion. I wanted too get back too the OE look of the car as someone had put an aftermarket unit in and I didnt like it . The sound quality of the rnse is way better than the alpine unit that was in mine , which I was surprised at . I've added a gateway so I can stream music ect . I may add dab too it as some point too . It's all about what you like and want out of it I guess
Cheers Al

04 c5 rs6 , Ebony Black, Bare shell repaint , Milltek's, PSS9's,Hotchkis Arb's,Gutted precats, hybrid turbos, Bosch 044 ,And an annoying EML light

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:54 am

Ajc wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 am
I've just fitted one , if you know your way around wiring then it's a really easy conversion. I wanted too get back too the OE look of the car as someone had put an aftermarket unit in and I didnt like it . The sound quality of the rnse is way better than the alpine unit that was in mine , which I was surprised at . I've added a gateway so I can stream music ect . I may add dab too it as some point too . It's all about what you like and want out of it I guess
Don't mind a bit of wiring, but what are we looking at? Do you have any diagrams?

So it will be an upgrade in terms of sound from the D anyway? I currently have an Alpine freeview unit, imagine this can be connected again?

I have a Sony double din also but rather keep things oe inside so not bothering with going aftermarket so much

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:02 pm

It's plug and playish if you buy the correct quad lock adapter and then splice 2 wires into the TMC canbus and a bit of coding with VCDS. Also you need a gps puck.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:08 pm

I noticed the other day that Sony have a new headunit out that looked like it might fit the C5 style pretty well:
Sony XAV-AX100
Last edited by Mɐʇʇ on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

benh999
3rd Gear

Post by benh999 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:08 pm

MattV8 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:08 pm
I noticed the other day that Sony have a new headunit out that looked like it might fit the C5 style pretty well:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-c ... /xav-ax100
Link doesn’t work :-(

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm an idiot and deserve to spend the night in the company of the RS4 owners club. I'm sorry.
Link now fixed.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am

MattV8 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:07 pm
I'm an idiot and deserve to spend the night in the company of the RS4 owners club. I'm sorry.
Link now fixed.
Aw come on, don't be so hard on yourself ...

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 am

bilko1 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:02 pm
It's plug and playish if you buy the correct quad lock adapter and then splice 2 wires into the TMC canbus and a bit of coding with VCDS. Also you need a gps puck.
Generic quad lock adapter?

Not used the ole VCDS yet, how hard is this? Something I plan on learning anyway

Is the current rns-d puck not compatible with the E then?

bilko1
Top Gear

Post by bilko1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:21 pm

You can buy kits to convert the iso connectors that go in to the RNSD to Quad lock which is what the RNSE uses. The GPS connector on the RNSD is different to the connector on the RNSE so it's easier to get a puck with the right connector from eBay / Amazon and stick it under the dash. If you have a solar reflective windscreen you will need to put it under the bonnet. Coding is pretty straight forward using VCDS as there are pop up prompts for the various settings. Just search for RNSE fitting kit on Google and you will see what I mean, also there is an adapter for the diversity aerial.
Avus Avant, RNS-E mk2 with sds and Bluetooth, Milltek, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Forge, ITG, A.C.E, Wagner, FBMFSW, MTM.

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 pm

With all the android headunits around and such easy fitting, I just don't get why someone would want something so old and antiquated ?

It's not like it's a car from the 40's or 50's and you want everything exactly as it was....

Foxmeister
4th Gear

Post by Foxmeister » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:27 pm

bilko1 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:21 pm
You can buy kits to convert the iso connectors that go in to the RNSD to Quad lock which is what the RNSE uses. The GPS connector on the RNSD is different to the connector on the RNSE so it's easier to get a puck with the right connector from eBay / Amazon and stick it under the dash. If you have a solar reflective windscreen you will need to put it under the bonnet. Coding is pretty straight forward using VCDS as there are pop up prompts for the various settings. Just search for RNSE fitting kit on Google and you will see what I mean, also there is an adapter for the diversity aerial.
Cheers mate, good info

Mark - normally agree and usually always went aftermarket with previous cars, I had assumed converting to E would be relatively cheap and hassle free, but with time and cost now weighed up, I may well just stick to the Sony xav 601bt that I already have and update speakers and amp if I'm gonna bother

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”