Horrible braking issue, warped genuine discs in 500 miles

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
onurserkan
Neutral

Horrible braking issue, warped genuine discs in 500 miles

Post by onurserkan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:21 am

Hi guys, just want to see if anybody has experienced the same issues i’m having. When I bought my car coiple months ago, part of the deal was to carry out major service inc ATF, Diff oil and plugs too. Also areed on replacing 4 brake discs and pads wothin the deal.

So West London Audi carried out all the repairs. After 400 miles i got excessive steering wheel judder, brake pedal pulsating and some horrible grinding noise as I approached traffic lights. So i rebboked it in with them, and tgey replaced front discs and pads under warranty after keeping my car for two weeks. Now 500 miles after its back again :audibash: rebooked in with them.

Have you guys had any experience like this with genuine brakes?

Im driving away in July going on a 11k mile trip, im scared it’ll be back before i reach Germany!

Markp
5th Gear

Re: Horrible braking issue, warped genuine discs in 500 miles

Post by Markp » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:44 am

Yes, with my first replacement set. Sold the car with then like that.
My first set were perfect and lasted 25K. There are lots of theories as to why replacement discs cause problems. Poor fitting (muck on hub face) is one. But the most popular is uneven pad deposits (not actual warping which is rare) caused by them not being bedded in properly / bad habits like sitting on hot brakes at junctions and lights. You will read advice to bed them in hard using repeated braking interspersed with time to cool, but I prefer a gentle approach. I have been lucky enough to have had lots of performance cars all of which I run in carefully for at least 750 miles and have never had a brake issue on a new car. But I have loads of vibration issues with replacement discs on those same cars, including those when I have tried the bedding in advice like this: https://www.carid.com/brembo/info/bedding-guide.html

RSVI
5th Gear

Post by RSVI » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Just had front and rear discs fitted, 3rd complete set in 3 years, totalling 35k miles.

Something MRC told me, they have found that the majority of the RS6’s with warped discs, had also referbed wheels, something about the back of wheel, where it sits on the hub of the disc, being painted.

MRC said this they feel, could have something to do with causing the discs to warp....

Either way, it’s a bitch how many discs I’ve gone through.... last set didn’t even have a pad change, was a 1/1 ratio. It’s not as if I even drive hard braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image Image Image

Iain
4th Gear

Post by Iain » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:47 pm

My discs screech at a low speed and braking gently, my previous 6 did too. Have given up trying to reach a solution as the screeching disappears once it's rained.

As it's under warranty, just throw the car back at them and say "sort it" - get a decent replacement from Audi UK - I've had Q8, Q7, A8 when mines previously been in for warranty work.

Good luck, and if as a dealer, they are any good (no experience of them), then they should be able to sort it. Ask to speak to their Master tech rather than the guy on the service desk. Let the group know how you get on
2018 Brabus G63 Widestar
2017 RS6 PE -Nardo, Air, HUD, Pan.....Millie Non Res
2015 RS6 - with Added Milltek
2015 RRS - utter sh1te
2010 X5 4.0D M Sport Every conceivable extra
2010 X5 4.0D M Sport
2009 R8 V10 Manual
2004 Lambo Gallarado Manual
3 x 997 C4S / C2s
2003 Fezza 360 Spider - Airfix kit build quality
2007 M3 - car number 2 in the UK
2006 RS4 Avant
2000 RS4 MTM Stage 3 - R55 BYE
2001 RS4 - R500 FOR
1990 Dimma Cosworth H20 COS
2003 996 DMS Turbo
multiple 205's Dimmas

daddyone
1st Gear

Post by daddyone » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:34 am

RSVI wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:30 pm
Just had front and rear discs fitted, 3rd complete set in 3 years, totalling 35k miles.

Something MRC told me, they have found that the majority of the RS6’s with warped discs, had also referbed wheels, something about the back of wheel, where it sits on the hub of the disc, being painted.

MRC said this they feel, could have something to do with causing the discs to warp....

Either way, it’s a bitch how many discs I’ve gone through.... last set didn’t even have a pad change, was a 1/1 ratio. It’s not as if I even drive hard braking. Image

Mmmm.. strange explanation but may have some sense in it. I highly suspect the original wheels are left bare metal and greased slightly so as to ensure heat transfer from the bell of the disc, perhaps it does indeed really need the extra cooling. That said my last few cars all had factory wheels with no paint and I still managed to warp discs. If I get caught out on a hard braking attempt and have to come to a standstill, I usually try to slow right down before the (traffic lights, obstruction) stop and "float" to a standstill on very light braking in neutral. Sitting at lights on the brake pedal would keep the heat in one place and no doubt help distrort the discs.

All that said, they are made of chocolate compared to other such heavy cars and luck as well as mechnical sympathy (or lack of) seems to play a part IMO.

daddyone
1st Gear

Post by daddyone » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:36 am

daddyone wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:34 am
RSVI wrote:

Either way, it’s a bitch how many discs I’ve gone through.... last set didn’t even have a pad change, was a 1/1 ratio. It’s not as if I even drive hard braking. Image

Mmmm.. strange explanation but may have some sense in it. I highly suspect the original wheels are left bare metal and greased slightly so as to ensure heat transfer from the bell of the disc, perhaps it does indeed really need the extra cooling. That said my last few cars all had factory wheels with no paint and I still managed to warp discs. If I get caught out on a hard braking attempt and have to come to a standstill, I usually try to slow right down before the (traffic lights, obstruction) stop and "float" to a standstill on very light braking in neutral. Sitting at lights on the brake pedal would keep the heat in one place and no doubt help distrort the discs.

All that said, they are made of chocolate compared to other such heavy cars and luck as well as mechnical sympathy (or lack of) seems to play a part IMO.
Back to the original question, yes 500 miles is a bit excessive unless you are the Stig, perhaps you have a brake bias issue or binding of caliper(s).?

MikeBirt
Neutral

Post by MikeBirt » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:13 pm

My 4 developed a warp when hot but it was not enough to warrant replacement, though spoiled the car (B8 has the same style of disk)
My 6 had new brakes on when I bought it - they were fine for 1k miles, now they have the same thing.
I have had similar problems on cars in the past and one common theme comes to mind. Cheap nasty disks.
I would never ever buy another audi oem disk.
I massively regret not buying my 6 with ceramics.
The 4 I drove with ceramics was absolutely beautiful.

onurserkan
Neutral

Post by onurserkan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:35 am

daddyone wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:36 am
daddyone wrote:
RSVI wrote:

Back to the original question, yes 500 miles is a bit excessive unless you are the Stig, perhaps you have a brake bias issue or binding of caliper(s).?
I have done a brake roller test and braking efficiency on all four calipers are even. Also nothing unusal with the fitment of the disc where it meets the hub. I can’t figure out how quick these discs could warp, especially with that price tag. The problem is they end up keeping the car there for two weeks doing nothing until the last day. I think i’ll give them 1 last chance to put a descent set of discs back on otherwise i’ll take the money and do them in my workshop.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am

daddyone wrote:
RSVI wrote:

It's not heat transfer MRC are talking about, but paint on the hub face causing run out - 0.5 mm high spot here can cause significant run out issues at edge of disc.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 am

Just my 2 cents on brakes...

Having had a problem with discs on the RS4 and now I suspect on the 6, I think a lot of the problems seen could well be to do with run-out. The discs are fine initially but if there is an issue with run-out they will wear at a slight angle and then over time they start to w over time the pads start to catch the disc as it rotates. I had the RS4 tested by Audi on their Brake test machine and it didn't show any issues but got it up on the ramp with the wheels off and you could rotate the disc by hand up to a certain point and then it would grab for maybe 80 degrees rotation and then free up again. I think this is what would appear as warped discs. They aren't warped as such they are just worn at an angle.

Pad deposits can also be a problem - I tend to brake quite hard in one hit and then come off the brakes rather than light braking over a longer distance. This seems to help keep pad deposits down.

One area to also be mindful of that seems to have an impact on the brakes - when washing the car ensure the discs are dried afterwards by driving it and using the brakes. Certain cleaning products can also either introduce this problem or exacerbate it as it seems to lead to issues. Basically keep Iron X (or similar) chemicals off the discs etc.

Having said all that I won't be going back to OEM discs and pads after this set as they cause too many problems which ruins the way the cars drive.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

MikeBirt
Neutral

Post by MikeBirt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:38 pm

innercry666 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 am
Having said all that I won't be going back to OEM discs and pads after this set as they cause too many problems which ruins the way the cars drive.
My thoughts exactly sir.
Lots of excuses, cant get the idea that audi are using us as a revenue stream with such a poor design.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”