Koni shock absorbers

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
dhali
4th Gear

Re: Koni shock absorbers

Post by dhali » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:10 am

Another one here with Koni shocks and H&R springs . Very happy with them . Just to add I have KW V3s on the B5 and personally find them too harsh for my liking ( have set them to recommended settings ) . And reliability ( maybe I've been unlucky ) issues is another matter :-(

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 pm

aby1 . The firmness is a result of the lowering kit not so much the dampers . The sport springs are 20 % stiffer than standard because the lowering spring gives the suspension 25 mm less travel, everything has to think a lot quicker. the result is a firmer ride, but not unpleasant and definately more comfortable than a coil over kit would be !
Any issues with the suspension keep us in mind its still under warranty and happy to extend this to you !!

aby1
Neutral

Post by aby1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 pm

Shockerboy wrote:aby1 . The firmness is a result of the lowering kit not so much the dampers . The sport springs are 20 % stiffer than standard because the lowering spring gives the suspension 25 mm less travel, everything has to think a lot quicker. the result is a firmer ride, but not unpleasant and definately more comfortable than a coil over kit would be !
Any issues with the suspension keep us in mind its still under warranty and happy to extend this to you !!
Thankyou for your reply, Shockerboy, it's nice to know it's still under warranty. Will definitely recommend this system to my friends

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:47 pm

aby1 the shocks have a 2 year guarantee so there is definately some time left on them i think Max purchased late in 2017 , would need to check . I think H&R offer a life time warranty , not sure whos Life Ha ha

alcam21
Neutral

Post by alcam21 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:36 am

I also went for the Koni option after a pair of shocks started rattling on my Avant.

The car is used daily, and I couldn't wait around to diagnose and rebuild the DRC. The cost too didn't appeal, especially as the car has given me some big bills already this year (front arms, electric faults - several engine lights, several appearances of limp mode, MAF, tyres, battery). Its on its second set of DRC dampers, fitted by the PO, and as the car is now at 125k miles, I see the DRC as a wear and tear item. Just the oil coolers to fail and I've had all the RS4 maladies.

The car felt weird with rattling dampers, like it was teetering on the working dampers with the knackered shocks acting like limp wrists. Strange and unnerving to drive not to mention the toe curling sympathy for the springs over broken roads.

Like many, I don't need a ride that is more sporting than the DRC, I could even go a touch softer as my car is on SS springs, so the re-valved Konis gave me the option of a reasonably priced replacement with good quality. The swap was straight forward by my local mechanic and the car feels supple with the right amount of damping, although it does feel a bit softer than with DRC and I think I can detect that it isn't a linked system by the car's behavior over things like curbs and speed bumps. Osculations like these are relatively seldom in daily driving, especially on the commute. Its on the open road where I feel that there is a compromise with the Konis.

Loading the car up in a sweeping turn at 70mph unloads the inside wheels, and although you don't have much change in the roll of the car, there is a slight change through the wheel in the feeling that the car is planted four-square. I've also noticed that under hard braking the rear axle has less grip than with DRC to the extend that on a familiar bit of sweeping downhill slip road, on the brakes, I noticed the rear feeling unweighted and a bit loose. The car is lacking the extra grip on the unweighted axle, generated by the dampers on the loaded axle. This is a road that I drive every day of the week, so its a reasonable test. I've yet to drive the Konis in the wet, but expect that the front axle might lose a bit of traction under heavy acceleration due to the downward force that previously acted on the front dampers through DRC when the car squats at the rear; we'll have to wait and see.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Konis, and for me in my situation they were the right choice at the right time, but when applying the car to a road, you see the previously unseen hand that the DRC dampers provide. So although the DRC is somewhat of an Achilles heel, I think its a 'well done' to Audi for the effect it has on the RS4 at speed.

Quango86
2nd Gear

Post by Quango86 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:07 pm

alcam21 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:36 am
I also went for the Koni option after a pair of shocks started rattling on my Avant.

The car is used daily, and I couldn't wait around to diagnose and rebuild the DRC. The cost too didn't appeal, especially as the car has given me some big bills already this year (front arms, electric faults - several engine lights, several appearances of limp mode, MAF, tyres, battery). Its on its second set of DRC dampers, fitted by the PO, and as the car is now at 125k miles, I see the DRC as a wear and tear item. Just the oil coolers to fail and I've had all the RS4 maladies.

The car felt weird with rattling dampers, like it was teetering on the working dampers with the knackered shocks acting like limp wrists. Strange and unnerving to drive not to mention the toe curling sympathy for the springs over broken roads.

Like many, I don't need a ride that is more sporting than the DRC, I could even go a touch softer as my car is on SS springs, so the re-valved Konis gave me the option of a reasonably priced replacement with good quality. The swap was straight forward by my local mechanic and the car feels supple with the right amount of damping, although it does feel a bit softer than with DRC and I think I can detect that it isn't a linked system by the car's behavior over things like curbs and speed bumps. Osculations like these are relatively seldom in daily driving, especially on the commute. Its on the open road where I feel that there is a compromise with the Konis.

Loading the car up in a sweeping turn at 70mph unloads the inside wheels, and although you don't have much change in the roll of the car, there is a slight change through the wheel in the feeling that the car is planted four-square. I've also noticed that under hard braking the rear axle has less grip than with DRC to the extend that on a familiar bit of sweeping downhill slip road, on the brakes, I noticed the rear feeling unweighted and a bit loose. The car is lacking the extra grip on the unweighted axle, generated by the dampers on the loaded axle. This is a road that I drive every day of the week, so its a reasonable test. I've yet to drive the Konis in the wet, but expect that the front axle might lose a bit of traction under heavy acceleration due to the downward force that previously acted on the front dampers through DRC when the car squats at the rear; we'll have to wait and see.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Konis, and for me in my situation they were the right choice at the right time, but when applying the car to a road, you see the previously unseen hand that the DRC dampers provide. So although the DRC is somewhat of an Achilles heel, I think its a 'well done' to Audi for the effect it has on the RS4 at speed.
How did you go about order these? The website I found doesn't look like an online Shop. My drc pipe has starting leaking and these seem like a good suggestion
B7 saloon, koni Shocks and h and r springs, h and r spacers 8mm f+r, milltek non res with valves, milltek d/ps, k and n filter, full mrc carbon clean, mrc stage 2 with l/c and f/s 456bhp 522nm.

neil_f
2nd Gear

Post by neil_f » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:03 pm

[/quote]

How did you go about order these? The website I found doesn't look like an online Shop. My drc pipe has starting leaking and these seem like a good suggestion
[/quote]

I bought mine last July from a listing on EBay by CRS performance. There a listing on EBay just for them. Search Koni rs4 and they come up.

neil_f
2nd Gear

Post by neil_f » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:06 pm

alcam21
Neutral

Post by alcam21 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:20 pm

If shockerboy is reading this, might I suggest that the rebound rate is increased in the rear shocks to prevent a light back end under hard braking. This is one area where the DRC kept things nice and taught.

Quango86
2nd Gear

Post by Quango86 » Wed May 01, 2019 3:08 pm

neil_f wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:03 pm
[/quote]

I bought mine last July from a listing on EBay by CRS performance. There a listing on EBay just for them. Search Koni rs4 and they come up.
[/quote]

Ordered a set yesterday. Spoke to Steve on the phone a very knowledgeable man and was happy to answer any questions on them. Anybody with any doubts I would recommend speaking to him. Looking forward to getting them fitted
B7 saloon, koni Shocks and h and r springs, h and r spacers 8mm f+r, milltek non res with valves, milltek d/ps, k and n filter, full mrc carbon clean, mrc stage 2 with l/c and f/s 456bhp 522nm.

Quango86
2nd Gear

Post by Quango86 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Got my Shocks fitted on Tuesdays night pinch bolts took hours to come out that's another story! Really easy to fit and right out the box the car seems much more darty through the corners but definitely a bit stiffer than the drc. It's not too crashy either so I would recommend these to anyone looking to change there drc. It feels really planted pushing round corners and has been said before the faster you go on them the better they feel. Really happy with them for the money

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:44 pm

Quango . glad to hear all went well with the shock conversion , I forgot to warn you about the top pinch bolts . i dont take chances and undo the control arm on the inside rather no chance of damaging the upright
Steve

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Alcam 21 . Sorry only just read the Interesting comment about increasing rebound on rear shocks . adding more rebound to rear shocks can make the rear go lighter under harsh braking > Stiffer rebound will of course try to lift the rear tyres off the ground when the weight suddenly transfers to the front as you brake ! If you have KONI fitted you can try this adjustment quite easily as the rears are easier to remove than the fronts . I can guide you through the process if you want to try it.

alcam21
Neutral

Post by alcam21 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi Steve, Thanks. I've got used to the slightly more mobile back-end on the car, and actually, when pushing on it can be rather handy.
For 4-square unflapability that the DRC gave, I feel that a bit move support to the rear would assist. It might be that putting a bit more into the fronts would eliminate dive.
My 2nd car is a minty JDM Honda ITR, so I know all about lift off oversteer :)

energybutton
Neutral

Post by energybutton » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:11 pm

Could someone with Koni shocks and H&R lowering springs post up a few photos of the ride height?

My drivers rear DRC has just started knocking and I'm trying to decide if H&R lowering springs are going to make my car too low as there are some unavoidable speed bumps around where I live.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”