Alloy insurance

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
robster
1st Gear

Alloy insurance

Post by robster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:24 am

Bought the alloy wheel insurance when I picked up my car so thought I'd test it.

Got some minor kerb damage on one of my v spokes. They offer a cosmetic repair which will put silver paint over the spoke where the damage is. Guy said he could do a good job but if u were looking for it u would probably be able to spot it.

Dilemma is whether to have it done, you get 18 repairs in 3 years or cancel the policy and have the wheel skimmed on a lathe.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Alloy insurance

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:09 am

Hang on - they paint the diamond cut edge? That’s less than ideal. I thought if insurance is paying it’d get a proper repair - not a botch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:28 pm

do your self a favour forget the diamond cut and just get them powder coated looks much better IMO
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

robster
1st Gear

Post by robster » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Yeah they put paint over the diamond cut. It's a "cosmetic repair". Its a bolt on plan that uses dent wizard as the supplier.

I'm not one for kerbing my wheels but there is virtually no rubber so thought they could be prone to the odd nick. Tempted to have it done and then have a full refurb if they ever need it in the future

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:09 pm

Allowed 18 repairs in 3 years? I'm not being critical, but if someone needs to have the full quota of repairs in that time, then I'm sorry, but they should go back to steel wheels - alloys are not for them!
How much was the insurance for the wheel repairs? I doubt any repair would be of a decent standard if the insurance company can offer that cover.
The 'man in a van' repairs are very poor - I have seen them attacking alloys with an orbital sander and then spraying them with a very thin coat of paint which doesn't last long with the effects of hot brake dust which will 'glue' itself to the soft paint. The profile of the rim edge is sanded down every time and there is only so many times it can be done .
I wouldn't bother with the wheel insurance. There are a good number of very reputable wheel repair companies around that will fully restore powder coated rims without losing the original contours of the wheel, and diamond cut repairs are also not mega expensive now either.
I wouldn't touch a smart repair with a barge pole - either on an alloy or on a minor body repair.
Try and be more careful with your parking abilities a bit more!!

robster
1st Gear

Post by robster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:57 am

Pretty sure the kerb jumped out on me johnny...

Was £400, like most insurance policies they rely on the probability of people not claiming.

Diamond cut repairs are about £130 a corner so could get 3 of those if I needed if I cancel.

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:25 pm

robster wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:57 am
Pretty sure the kerb jumped out on me johnny...

Was £400, like most insurance policies they rely on the probability of people not claiming.

Diamond cut repairs are about £130 a corner so could get 3 of those if I needed if I cancel.
They do that ever now and then I guess :lol: , but (touch wood) my set are totally original and unblemished 4 1/2 years down the line - that's done it now I guess :?
I know what I would be doing - unless you can stipulate where your wheels go to. Even some diamond cut repairers just sand the alloy rim back and then relaquer (which isn't very durable unless done in an oven) the damaged area which stands out a mile to me because the edge / lip disappears at every 'V'. The more reputable alloy wheel refurbers actually do an alloy weld / repair and then recut them on a laithe to exactly the original profile so they are undetectable as having had a repair. They are also guaranteed to be the exact colour match too. It isn't unknown for cheaper alloy repairers to change the wheels over side to side so that the repaired rims are on the same side of the car, and any colour / shade variation isn't then as noticeable on any repaired rims.
Just my six penn'th.....

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”