DRC replacement with DRC

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
mister_g
1st Gear

DRC replacement with DRC

Post by mister_g » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:04 pm

The car is just over 80k and still has original DRC intact.

I'm not driving it in wet weather or after roads have been gritted as I don't want to increase the likelihood of DRC steel pipe corrosion.

But then again it'll probably happen at some point anyway, so... I was thinking of pre-empting all that, and replacing the DRC like for like even though it doesn't need doing (yet).

Not interested in coilovers, don't even start :bigwave:

So the question is, can a new DRC be fitted in such a way that will make it have a longer life? By smearing grease over the steel bits perhaps, or something like that? Or are there any aftermarket replacement parts available that are stainless or plastic and therefore won't corrode?
With my black B7
I'm in B7th heaven
And with DRC
My ride is heavenly
:blackrs4:

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Re: DRC replacement with DRC

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:09 am

I had all my new DRC pipes coated in waxoyl when they were fitted to help preserve them for years to come. I kept my old pipes to potentially use as templates for making up new stainless steel pipes for much less than Audi would want. Haven't got round to doing a set yet though.

mister_g
1st Gear

Post by mister_g » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 am

Cheers PP. How long has it lasted so far, and have you had a look at the pipes recently to see if they're doing OK?
With my black B7
I'm in B7th heaven
And with DRC
My ride is heavenly
:blackrs4:

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:51 pm

How much was it to have all the pipework replaced?

I might go back to DRC in a year or two once the KW3's need replacing. Either that or going to go with Ohlins option.

Had enough of the stiff KW3 and H&R ARB setup.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 am

Don't grease use wax oil.
Last edited by Covkiller on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:03 pm

You should consider the KONI RS4 special Dampers , they are like for like , fit straight in dont change height and improve handling and comfort from the standard DRC . You are right to shun Coil over , its not right on these cars . The KONI option will save you a ton of money and lots of very satidfied RS4 owners have done it . you can search on here for their comments .

Quango86
2nd Gear

Post by Quango86 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Shockerboy wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:03 pm
You should consider the KONI RS4 special Dampers , they are like for like , fit straight in dont change height and improve handling and comfort from the standard DRC . You are right to shun Coil over , its not right on these cars . The KONI option will save you a ton of money and lots of very satidfied RS4 owners have done it . you can search on here for their comments .
How much is a price for the shocks and h and r lowering springs? Are they direct from yourself
B7 saloon, koni Shocks and h and r springs, h and r spacers 8mm f+r, milltek non res with valves, milltek d/ps, k and n filter, full mrc carbon clean, mrc stage 2 with l/c and f/s 456bhp 522nm.

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:30 pm

hi Quango86
the RS4 shock kit is £595.00 and the Springs from H&R £235.00 Forum discount 5 % off these and depending where you are £35.00 courier costs
Parts normally in stock and delivery with in 2 days .

My company CRS performance is the official supplier of the RS4 Shocks from KONI .

Quango86
2nd Gear

Post by Quango86 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Shockerboy wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:30 pm
hi Quango86
the RS4 shock kit is £595.00 and the Springs from H&R £235.00 Forum discount 5 % off these and depending where you are £35.00 courier costs
Parts normally in stock and delivery with in 2 days .

My company CRS performance is the official supplier of the RS4 Shocks from KONI .
Excellent thanks for the info
B7 saloon, koni Shocks and h and r springs, h and r spacers 8mm f+r, milltek non res with valves, milltek d/ps, k and n filter, full mrc carbon clean, mrc stage 2 with l/c and f/s 456bhp 522nm.

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:30 pm

mister_g wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 am
Cheers PP. How long has it lasted so far, and have you had a look at the pipes recently to see if they're doing OK?
Pipes have only been on a year now but still look like new. I love the DRC system and when the pipe failed, I could have gone for coilovers but for KW V3’s it would have actually been more expensive than I paid for all new pipes inc fitting and system recharge.

My car is 2006 and has only ever had 1 damper weeping and replaced but I upgraded all mine to v3 dampers at the same time as the pipes. I don’t think replacement dampers on a 12 year old car is unacceptable even if they had failed.

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 pm

Shock absorbers are a serviceable part of the car . the oil in the shock gets very hot and suffers the same degredation as the engine oil . Not as quick or aggressively but you must accept that as the oil gets thinner with age and mileage the damping forces arent as they should be . Some shock manufacturers recommend replacement every 40 k miles but generally 60 k to 100 k is definately the outer limits .
The koni shock kit is equivalent to the Standard DRC in as much as it leaves the car standard height ( unless lowering springs are used ) KW V 3 is a completely different animal , this is a very hi quality Height adjustable kit that simply can not attain standard height . it would be 25 to 50 mm lowering and its a BUMP and rebound adjustable damper . This is why they are expensive, they are made from Stainless steel which is very rare in suspension components but it fights corrosion well unlike the normal steel parts typically used in shocks . Coil over kits were originally used to replace DRC because suppliers were not aware that there was indeed normal solutions to replace DRC .

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:48 pm

I can’t dispute that when it comes to suspension dampers, Koni are and have been one of the best for many years, but I still don’t see how a replacement spring/damper combination can maintain the same body control using the same ARB’s without being stiffer and less compliant. What I love about the DRC system is the ride compliance but lack of body roll due to being diagonally linked through the control valves. It really is a superb system for a road car. It corners so flat and is beautifully balanced.

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Ill try to explain why there is no need to uprate anti roll bars when fitting KONI dampers. Most modern cars give a linear graph of Forces over shaft speed ( not car speed ) this means that the dampers generate lower forces on low frequency movements and much higher forces on hi speed frequencies ( ie 4 to 7 hertz ) . The Anti roll function of the DRC clearly helps this in all types of corners . The KONI damper design offers much stiffer forces at LOW shaft speed which is designed to limit roll and pitch, however at higher shaft frequencies the stiffness is backed off by the valve system to offer greater comfort ( non linear ) . The fitting of uprated Anti roll bars to improve handling with the DRC and KONI ( or equivalant after market parts ) is still an option for owners , but it isnt a neccessity to get the DRC performance back after removal if the correct product is used .

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”