RS4 B7 Cab - Bye Bye DRC

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MrBlueSky
Neutral

RS4 B7 Cab - Bye Bye DRC

Post by MrBlueSky » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Just completed a complete suspension overhaul on my RS4 B7 Cab. DRC system was in good health with no sign of issues (had been replaced under legacy warranty by previous owner). But wanted better stance and adjustability and better to plan to fail!

Off came the DRC system and all bushed arms, droplinks and tre's (yes the front upper pinch bolt was completely seized on both sides) and on went KW V3's, a full Meyle suspension arm set, new front strut upper mounts, new rear upper mounts and lower spring cups which had perished. Quick chat about settings with the really helpful KW guys at the Autosport International show last week. Final adjustments made, put a bit of positive rake in. Set of 8mm and 10mm H&R HC spacers fitted front and rear respectively and first drive yesterday.

Dont have words really! thought it rode and drove well on the DRC system before the change (albeit sitting a bit high as Cabs invariably do!). Cant believe the difference! Like driving a new car out of the showroom and cant stop smiling.... would recommend to anyone with a B7 on DRC that is a bit wary of changing.

Still sitting a little bit higher than I would ultimately like but will settle and I can reset ride height in a few hundred miles.

Also fitted an ECS H-pipe which sounds glorious....

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

RS4 B7 Cab - Bye Bye DRC

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Nice! I swapped mine out (B7 RS4 Avant) last year for v3s and h&r ARBs and had the same experience. Amazing difference in handling and feel and like you I thought it was good before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrBlueSky
Neutral

Re: RS4 B7 Cab - Bye Bye DRC

Post by MrBlueSky » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:04 pm

AlexB7RS4 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:22 pm
Nice! I swapped mine out (B7 RS4 Avant) last year for v3s and h&r ARBs and had the same experience. Amazing difference in handling and feel and like you I thought it was good before.

That sits well and wheels work nicely with colour. What rims are they and size pls.?

12th
3rd Gear

Post by 12th » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:12 pm

MrBlueSky wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:55 pm
Just completed a complete suspension overhaul on my RS4 B7 Cab. DRC system was in good health with no sign of issues (had been replaced under legacy warranty by previous owner). But wanted better stance and adjustability and better to plan to fail!

Off came the DRC system and all bushed arms, droplinks and tre's (yes the front upper pinch bolt was completely seized on both sides) and on went KW V3's, a full Meyle suspension arm set, new front strut upper mounts, new rear upper mounts and lower spring cups which had perished. Quick chat about settings with the really helpful KW guys at the Autosport International show last week. Final adjustments made, put a bit of positive rake in. Set of 8mm and 10mm H&R HC spacers fitted front and rear respectively and first drive yesterday.

Dont have words really! thought it rode and drove well on the DRC system before the change (albeit sitting a bit high as Cabs invariably do!). Cant believe the difference! Like driving a new car out of the showroom and cant stop smiling.... would recommend to anyone with a B7 on DRC that is a bit wary of changing.

Still sitting a little bit higher than I would ultimately like but will settle and I can reset ride height in a few hundred miles.
Where did you get the work done, and (if you don't mind me asking) how much?

My car's just turned 12 and covered 85k, all with me, and at the risk of tempting fate DRC has never been an issue - but it's always good to understand your options.
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Saloon with MRC tweakery.

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

RS4 B7 Cab - Bye Bye DRC

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:43 pm

Cheers! They are Work Ultimate Kiwami in bronze, 19x9.5 ET25 I believe. You can order them from work in the right pcd but probably hard to find of the shelf. No spacers needed.

MrBlueSky
Neutral

Post by MrBlueSky » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:59 pm

12th wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:12 pm
MrBlueSky wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Where did you get the work done, and (if you don't mind me asking) how much?

My car's just turned 12 and covered 85k, all with me, and at the risk of tempting fate DRC has never been an issue - but it's always good to understand your options.
Did the work myself. I'm a VW T5/T6 Campervan converter so have reasonable facilities for mechanical work i.e. workshop but sadly no lift as don't need one. Sourced KW's from local Cambridge company (cheapest around) and Meyle set from Autodoc who were superb and cheap and top mounts from local motor factors. Took me a full day plus the time it took to remove the pinch bolts (most of another day to be honest). Only real issue was pinch bolts. Dropped the rear subframe to remove rear springs.

Irrespective of life of DRC units, the steel pipework connecting the valves to the shox also have a finite life and didnt look great with the sands of time definitely running out on those. Brake pipes were all fine and as new in comparison. Glad to have abandoned them really.

Its a difficult decision but if you know your car from new and inspect DRC units and any exposed pipework around wheel arches regularly you should be fine. However you dont realise how the handling and taughtness are deteriorating. Really is like driving new again.

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:28 am

Interesting to hear all the good comments about KW , CRS ( the suppliers of the RS4 KONI Damper kits ) have joined forces with Maximum Motorsport in Brum and we have been appointed a KW , "Race Technical Partner" Most KW dealers are limited to the suspension kits they can represent based on the Facitlities and resources they have . There are only 4 such partners in UK at the moment who have access to the FULL KW range . We will be the VAG related one and look forward to supplying these parts along side all the other Performance accessories we do. We have a full Workshop facility in Brum where we can carry out any tuning and suspension work.

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:14 pm

Shockerboy wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:28 am
Interesting to hear all the good comments about KW , CRS ( the suppliers of the RS4 KONI Damper kits ) have joined forces with Maximum Motorsport in Brum and we have been appointed a KW , "Race Technical Partner" Most KW dealers are limited to the suspension kits they can represent based on the Facitlities and resources they have . There are only 4 such partners in UK at the moment who have access to the FULL KW range . We will be the VAG related one and look forward to supplying these parts along side all the other Performance accessories we do. We have a full Workshop facility in Brum where we can carry out any tuning and suspension work.
Do you guys do the servicing on the KW struts aswell ??

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi there dhali , Once we are fully trained up we will be able to do this work on the KW models that are indeed serviceable . The training is booked for the 11 th of February in Germany at the factory.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:01 pm

What sort of cost for KW? I’ve a few sets.

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:51 pm

When I had the ones on my B5 done ( V3s) was iirc £440 for the front . They only service in pairs .
Btw . Really happy with the koni on the B7 :jump_clap:

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:55 pm

marc1 i have just returned from KW head office in Germany where we completed technical training . in all honesty it will be a while before we are ready to do service work on shocks , but ill let everyone know asap . Pricing on new stuff we can give immeditaly and ill get on to that in the next day or so . I have to say as a major player in the suspension industry i was truly impressed with the forward thinking staff at KW and i am looking forward to supplying their product which is highly advanced and technologically superior to many well known tried and tested systems on the market here in UK

Please also note , not all the KW components are servicable . we will advise on this as soon as we can .

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:05 am

Good man. Cheers buddy

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”