BC Racing Coilovers

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
alex760
1st Gear

BC Racing Coilovers

Post by alex760 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Thought I would put up a post as I am just in the process of completing my swap from DRC to BC Racing coilovers. Potentially a risky choice to move away from the well documented Bilsteins/KW's. I thought I would give them a go as I have friends who've been very happy with them in the past on other marques and was interested due to the same price bracket as B14's but with the adjustable damping and the ability to rebuild/overhaul them should it be needed in the future relatively easily.

Anyway I thought I would put up a post detailing how I get on with them as I go for anyone that may be interested as there isn't a lot of info from people running these on our cars outside of a couple of US posts.

They are currently fitted and the first thing that I will say is the can certainly go low, they are set a bit too low out of the box for me so I'm just waiting on a bit of time to get it up in the air and set the height to where I would like it before I can go out and really test them in anger. Not the easiest with a new baby but hopefully this weekend I can get it all done and get some feedback.

Cheers
Alex

Covkiller
Top Gear

Re: BC Racing Coilovers

Post by Covkiller » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:45 pm

Just watched the video and the manufacturing process looks very good. You can pay the earth for coil overs depending on what you want to use them for. If you’re like me i.e. fast road and occasional track use, then these look fine. I have KW's on my RS4 B7 and Yellow Speed on my E36 M3. Both have been set low as I like my cars and professional setup and corner weighted by Centre Gravity. KW speak for themselves but for the Yellow Speed I was really impressed when I took my E36 M3 to the ring last summer.

Please can you post some photographs of your RS4, as it is now i.e. low as Rule1 applies here. Mine sites 64cm rear and 63cm front, floor to top of wheel arch.
:thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:06 pm

Apologies as I don't have any photos atm due to destroying another phone just before Christmas :bash: . I will grab some as soon as I can, damn it being so dark by the time I get home from work!

I will definitely take some measurements and get plenty of photos before I raise it up as well, it isn't too far away from where i'd like it but it is catching slightly on lock on the front and the rear is squatted quite a bit so it needs raising to level it all up. If you were so inclined you could definitely tuck rim on the standard 19's on the front :shock:

So far I'm happy with the quality for sure and the fact that you adjust the ride height without altering the preload on the spring is definitely a nice touch. Once I've got it setup and I've corrected for the added camber as best as I can i think I may well go and get it corner weighted to make sure it's all corrrect.

Am I right in thinking that I can correct the camber on the rear with what looks like an eccentric bolt on the upper arm?

cheers

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:34 am

So this is where it's at as I start today.

Its 62.cm at the front and 61.5 at the back. To be honest I quite like how the front sits so I'm going to raise it only til it doesn't catch maybe 5mm and the the back 15mm so its all levelled up

IMG_20190105_102408.jpg
IMG_20190105_102356.jpg
IMG_20190105_102341.jpg
IMG_20190105_102333.jpg

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Here's a couple of pics of the rears, I've mounted the adjuster on the top so I shouldn't have to drop the subframe if I want to make any future adjustments.
IMG_20190105_110421_1.jpg
IMG_20190105_110428.jpg
And the front,
IMG_20190105_130419.jpg
IMG_20190105_130530.jpg
IMG_20190105_130446.jpg
I've raised the rear 15mm and the front 5mm and I've also stiffened the damping as it was a bit soft when I went round the block the other day.

Currently I'm 10 clicks from hard in the from and 6 from hard in the back. For some reason it's sitting about 25mm higher now at the back even though I've only wound it up 15mm and closer to 15mm higher than the 5mm i wound at the front
lB5wmMp.png
lB5wmMp.png (142.18 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
Maybe it's because I've stiffened the damper up, who knows. Gonna go out for some fuel and a drive and will take some photos see how it feels. Now sat at 63ish at the front just a smidge under 64 at the back so will see how it settles.

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:27 pm

So a few pics from a little drive today, she's settled a little bit now as well.
IMG_20190106_114401.jpg
IMG_20190106_114606.jpg
IMG_20190106_114429.jpg
IMG_20190106_114449.jpg
IMG_20190106_114618.jpg
It feels very good, slightly firmer than DRC I'd say but handles very well. Very planted, I was worried it would be about wallowy but it doesn't seem to feel that way at the minute will have to see as I get used to it again and if so then I'll look into doing the anti roll bars.

One thing I'm getting is a bit of rubbing on partial lock when cornering or turning on an incline for example, the drivers side only weirdly. I'm holding back from pushing too hard til I can sort that.

I've removed the arch liner screw and it's not resolved it as it seems to be either side of the centre of the arch. I'm happy the coils are set within about 0.5mm of each other. I have adjusted the preload when changing the ride height and am fairly confident I set it back to as it came both sides but will double check that also.

They're definitely seems to be less room on the drivers side when going from lock to lock even though wheel to arch measures the same. Will see what an alignment reveals and go from there, but realistically I'm going to either raise it another 5mm or have the arches rolled.

Cheers
Alex

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:29 pm

The stance looks great, don't roll your arches; you're heading for a world of pain. Have them heated and tapped back at a decent body Shop as I did. These cars look super menacing when low.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Cheers Cov :thumbs: I think the fact that I'm on goodyears and they are pretty square tires isn't helping me. I'd rather roll than go higher as I also really like the way it sits at the minute .

Have you had trouble with having them rolled in the past?

I was thinking of having a crack at them myself as I have done a few cars over the years and if the paint cracks its not a major issue as they are due to be repainted this year anyway because they are starting to show some corrosion towards the bottom, but perhaps not.

daytonamart
5th Gear

Post by daytonamart » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Ride height looks great to me, shame about the rubbing.
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:12 pm

alex760 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 pm
Cheers Cov :thumbs: I think the fact that I'm on goodyears and they are pretty square tires isn't helping me. I'd rather roll than go higher as I also really like the way it sits at the minute .

Have you had trouble with having them rolled in the past?

I was thinking of having a crack at them myself as I have done a few cars over the years and if the paint cracks its not a major issue as they are due to be repainted this year anyway because they are starting to show some corrosion towards the bottom, but perhaps not.
Yes my paint split and they still rubbed, I'm on 20's and need 4mm spaccer to clear the callipers. Mods always mean grief but when you get it right your car looks fab :beerchug: . Also Jon_J recently tried rolling and they cracked the lips, so new wing/s.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=130486&start=15

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Hi there , Just a quick bit of info on the height changes not being the same as the adjustments you made . Due to the Motion ratio on the suspension on these cars ( the shock doesnt move the same distance up and down as the wheels do ) the adjustment on the actual shock will always relate to much more height in reality . There fore if you want a 15 mm lift 7 to 10 on the shock will do it . Very hit and miss unfortunately because when you adjust the rear up and down you change the weight on the front which also makes the car go up and down . Good luck with the set up . My personal experience with BC coilies is that they run too hard. But hope you are happy .
I know in the past RS4 owners thought Bilstein and KW were the only answers other than standard Audi parts . We have been very successful with the KONI set up, but its more for Standard height and min lowering clients who are concerned about comfort .

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Cheers Shocker, now that you say that and thinking about the position where the shock mounts to the lower arm it makes sense.

A fair bit of trial and error it seems to get it set right although it is fairly close now I feel. It is definitely firmer than DRC but having run some truly awful setups on low cars in the past it still feels plenty compliant enough for my tastes.

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:50 am

Alex , Good to hear . By the way corner weighting the car is probably not a great idea , the RS4 is perfectly balanced because the engine runs longitudinally . the important thing is to set the spring perches identically so the car sits even both sides from a Visual point of view .. Often Corner weighting cars specifically Front wheel drive transverse engine cars, where the driver and motor are both in one corner is very difficult . Once the weight balance is right the heights are drastically different left to right and the car looks odd .

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:15 am

Shocker I disagree about the corner weighting. I have had my RS4 done and it handles like a dream and the stance and height are spot on. I'm on KW's, everyone who's driven it loves it.
I know suspension is very subjective and emotive; this is only my view point and experience. :thumbs:

ollys
4th Gear

Post by ollys » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Shockerboy wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:50 am
Alex , Good to hear . By the way corner weighting the car is probably not a great idea , the RS4 is perfectly balanced because the engine runs longitudinally . the important thing is to set the spring perches identically so the car sits even both sides from a Visual point of view .. Often Corner weighting cars specifically Front wheel drive transverse engine cars, where the driver and motor are both in one corner is very difficult . Once the weight balance is right the heights are drastically different left to right and the car looks odd .
It won't be perfectly corner weighted from the factory regardless of engine orientation. A professional corner weighting will take into account driver weight, a specific fuel load etc... None better at this than Chris at Centre Gravity.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”