Gear change clunky

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
shanek
1st Gear

Gear change clunky

Post by shanek » Tue May 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi all,

I have just taken my car into the Stealers complaining that the gear change (regardless of drive select mode selection) has become very jerky and clunky.
Thankfully the stealer agreed with me and carried out something called a 'standstill adaptation'.
Anyone got a clue what this is or had it done on theirs?

Has23
Neutral

Re: Gear change clunky

Post by Has23 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 am

My car also seems clunky, there is a distinct jerk when changing up under load. Interested to hear the outcome.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 am

It is just a software reset (and can be as simple as disconnecting the battery for 30 mins).

rtd
Cruising

Post by rtd » Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 am

Has23 wrote:My car also seems clunky, there is a distinct jerk when changing up under load. Interested to hear the outcome.
I think when changing up under load there is a noticeable thud from the gearbox think it’s normal. Mine does it and I’ve never thought it to be an issue unless I’m wrong in thinking this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:12 pm

Mine can be quite clunky at times to the point where it is quite vicious on upshifts in manual and underload. Reminds me of how my RS4 went when the gearbox oil was contaminated with coolant. Mines due for a two year inspection soon so will get Audi to check it out.

The adaptive drive reset is where the gearbox has to learn it's settings for clutch bite point etc from scratch. it can sometimes cure issues but I would suspect that if a car has developed a clunky gearshift then it may be the sign of a problem.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 pm

A tad tangential. Drove a Panamera Turbo S today. Gearbox in this makes the zf8 feel very clumsy.

Has23
Neutral

Post by Has23 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:08 pm

That’s it under load it’s like it thumps the front driveshafts.

shanek
1st Gear

Post by shanek » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:42 am

So, following on from having Audi conduct a 'Standstill Adaptation' (basically a reset of the gearbox and controller), I can safely say that the issue I had disappeared (at least for a couple of days) and my car felt like a new car again. Gear changes were swift and snappy, the engine felt stronger (much stronger actually, it pulled harder and revved out so much better), no throttle lag when getting on the accelerator and overall, the car was just a joy to drive again. Even the exhaust sounded louder!
Alas, it didnt last long at all. After a lovely spirited drive one evening the throttle lag was back, the gear changes were very sloppy and abrupt, a massive delay in the selected gear engaging (when switching between park, drive & reverse) and very little engine surge below 2,000rpm again. However, this time it seems even worse as the gearbox is now deciding to hold onto gears for no apparent reason (stayed in 3rd when driving along in comfort in a 30mph zone) and when applying what could only be classed as a light accelerator application to keep with the flow of traffic in front of me, the gearbox decided it was the right time to drop to 3rd from 6th almost sending me through the windscreen as it did so with very little rev matching!!
My local stealer are currently in communication with Audi UK to see if they have any ideas on what the problem is and any fixes available.

Fingers crossed it dosent take too long to get a fix as the car is not a pleasant drive anymore.

Has anyone had similar issues and if so, did you get a fix?

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:34 am

I am guessing it's not real throttle lag but the box is being slow witted so in too high a gear and not changing down quickly enough.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:24 am

Obviously different gearbox but it does sound very similar to how my RS4 went. It might be worth finding out if the gearbox oil can be tested for glycol. It may be a failure in the ATF radiator that has then contaminated the clutches and the car is doing it's best to manage the variables - hence the odd behavior.

My gear changes are sometimes not brilliant - there can be a noticeable thud through the transmission when going from 2 - 1. This was the first indicator the RS4 box had an issue. The RS4 also felt down on power - very sluggish. In the end it was a new clutch pack and ATF radiator but it did solve the problems. Car's booked in in a couple of weeks so will speak to Audi then about it.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

Post by h4rvsingh » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 am

If you are experiencing delays in gear changes then this could be related to the gearbox oil being low. I would get that checked out too - although you would assume Audi would have checked for leaks etc.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”