4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
DuncRS6
3rd Gear

Re: New C5 Owner

Post by DuncRS6 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:43 pm

Greenslade wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:56 am
Ahh, THAT car ;-) It was on my shortlist last year (May/June), when I bought mine.

I recognised the story of the power reduction straight away, and then clocked the red lens deletes above the rear number plate.

Welcome aboard.
Cheers,

To be honest, as it was on eBay, I wasn't sure what to expect when i got in touch about it as I have found people selling cars on their can be a bit hit and miss. But after contacting him and going to see it, it pretty much felt like it was meant to be, upfront about everything that had been done to it and talked about about all the usual thing to look for in the car, could tell he really looked after it as I think he was quite sad that it was going.
Gav66 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:11 pm
Looks nice with the lens delete😎
Welcome bud.
Ajc wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 pm
FON and welcome . Lovely looking bus you have yourself . I'm liking the fog delete , Looks cleaner
Cheers,

Yeah it is definitely one of those mods that just looks right.
If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, when doctors eat apples do they disappear?

Greenslade
1st Gear

Post by Greenslade » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 am

I had a few lengthy chats with the seller via email. He seemed like a decent honest chap :-)
2003 RS6 Avant in Ebony Black/Silver Nappa - Wagners, Millteks, MRC Stage 2 map, Bosch 044, Sports Cats, Bilsteins, Hotchkis ARBs, 390mm C6 discs, Recaro CS, RNS-E, LED tail-lights, Goodyear Eagle F1s,......Porsche filler caps :mrgreen:

DuncRS6
3rd Gear

Post by DuncRS6 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Hey guys,

Thought I would update this thread instead of starting a new one.

So got the car back from MRC today after they worked their magic on it and fixed the F125 switch.

They did the health check first and found that the car still has the stock downpipes and intercoolers, found no codes in the gearbox and no boost leaks. It is on coilovers, with red unbranded spings which they think is older h&r or other, as they were fitted 2005 I would assume they were the older h&r. The one thing they did find was the bank1 mafsensor boot is split.

The notes on the old remap found it was running .08 bar flat.

Now on to the MRC remap, below is the dyno read...
dyno-read.jpg

Oh lord! The MRC tune runs 1.05 bar. The car feels so much better now, also for my piece of mind I am happy now I know what type of tune she is running. A very happy man right now. :jump:

Obligatory picture of the beast after coming home.
car.jpg

Cheers

Dunc
If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, when doctors eat apples do they disappear?

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm

I remember when an MRC stg1 tune was 0.9bar - 545PS on stock DPs and ICs is amazing. Have you got another sheet showing DT losses?
No matter where you go, there you are.

DuncRS6
3rd Gear

Post by DuncRS6 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Unfortunately not.

I have the above dyno sheet & the health check sheet.

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Very impressive figure, are you not concerned about gearbox/torque converter lifespan?

DuncRS6
3rd Gear

Post by DuncRS6 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Ben_r1 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 pm
Very impressive figure, are you not concerned about gearbox/torque converter lifespan?
Not something that worries me too much.

It is just the stage 1+ remap and as long as I don't give it full beans from standing and drive it like an absolute nutter all the time, which, I must admit, can be hard sometimes then it should be alright.

I think people on the forum have had more power and torque than mine but it may be worth a search of the forum by myself to see if it was something that was an issue. Stage 2 possibly 3 could be something I look into in the future, along with all the other mods that would be needed then I would speak to MRC in regards to gearbox and torque converter but for now just going to enjoy the car.

The next major thing would probably be some new suspension as the coilovers on it are 13 years old, some spacers possibly and upgrade the head unit to an Alpine one that i think some of the other members have.

Cheers Dunc

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:57 pm

The gearbox failure thread seemed to suggest that standard cars failed as much as mapped ones.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

DuncRS6
3rd Gear

Post by DuncRS6 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 pm

I am part the way through that thread.

The gearbox on mine was replaced at 85K miles in 2010 by one of the previous owners.

That bill, which did include a few things, came in at the princely sum of £9,686! :shock:

Ben_r1
3rd Gear

Post by Ben_r1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:21 am

vagmachine wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 pm

The gearbox on mine was replaced at 85K miles in 2010 by one of the previous owners.

That bill, which did include a few things, came in at the princely sum of £9,686! :shock:
Bet your glad that was sorted before your ownership.

Steveo
3rd Gear

Post by Steveo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 am

Ben_r1 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:21 am
vagmachine wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Doesn't mean to say it won't go again! Some have had 2 or 3 rebuilt boxes.
But I have a feeling that most of the current owners are a lot more sympathetic towards their gearbox. I would say that most of the original and early owners of these cars drove them harder from standing. Most of the current owners aren't as wealthy as the early owners so we treat the box with a bit more respect
RS6 C5, MTM

DuncRS6
3rd Gear

Post by DuncRS6 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:58 am

Ben_r1 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:21 am
Very much so.
Steveo wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 am
Doesn't mean to say it won't go again! Some have had 2 or 3 rebuilt boxes.
But I have a feeling that most of the current owners are a lot more sympathetic towards their gearbox. I would say that most of the original and early owners of these cars drove them harder from standing. Most of the current owners aren't as wealthy as the early owners so we treat the box with a bit more respect
This is true. As long as i do the required maintenance I hope it will keep itself together for the foreseeable future.

I think your right, when I was looking there were a few for sale which were owned for a very small mount of time, the owner could afford to buy the car but not afford the maintenance that goes with these it looked like. I am not exactly the worlds wealthiest man but when I was looking I saved more than what was required to buy one so I had an amount left over for maintenance and running costs.

Cheers Dunc

Mɐʇʇ
Cruising

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Exactly the situation of the previous owner of my car.
vagmachine wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:58 am
...the owner could afford to buy the car but not afford the maintenance that goes with these it looked like.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

TechNick
5th Gear

Post by TechNick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 am

bam_bam wrote:I remember when an MRC stg1 tune was 0.9bar - 545PS on stock DPs and ICs is amazing. Have you got another sheet showing DT losses?
^this!

MRC Stg1 used to result in around 500ps on the dyno (with torque similarly limited to around 800Nm to help preserve the transmission)... and a bit more with catback, but stock DPs.

That's quite an increase!
Simply down to v.low IAT (it's been pretty cold!) and higher boost? Or are we missing something from the history (e.g. hybrid turbos/Wagners/gutted pre-cats/aftermarket cats)...?

DuncRS6
3rd Gear

Post by DuncRS6 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 am

TechNick wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 am
That's quite an increase!
Simply down to v.low IAT (it's been pretty cold!) and higher boost? Or are we missing something from the history (e.g. hybrid turbos/Wagners/gutted pre-cats/aftermarket cats)...?
To be honest with you I was a surprised as you with those figures. I was expecting it just to scratch the 500 mark. Probably should have asked Doug when I picked it up but I was probably a little too excited to drive it after seeing those figures.

As I said in the OP it had Stage 3 AMD Tune and aftermarket DP's but they were removed to stock and de-tuned to Stage 1 by the owner that owned it before the guy I bought it from due to it being to loud for him. The Stage 3 tune and aftermarket DP's were added in 2005 but not sure when it was de-tuned though, there doesn't seem to be any paperwork I can find for that, hence the reason for taking it to MRC alongside the F125 switch that was failing.

Will go through the paperwork again to see if I have missed anything, which is entirely possible but even then the previous owner wasn't aware of it ever having hybrid turbos or Wagners. I will do some more digging and speak to the previous owner again just to double check.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”