ABS Controller problem

4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 450 bhp
4.2 V8 40v biturbo - 480 bhp (plus)
jamrowls
1st Gear

ABS Controller problem

Post by jamrowls » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:11 pm

ABS / TC lights came on, due to G46 speed sensor fault.
Next day the DIS was flashing due to everything on the controller in fault.
Removed the plug to the controller which was cracked and found it all very wet.
Cleaned it with contact cleaner and most looks good, apart from 1 pin from the controller is stuck in the plug.

///For search ability PN for controller is 4B0614517AD, plug is 8E0973042A.

So going to try a ACTronics for the repair of the controller, but not sure if they can repair a connection pin (not the usual fault). Or buy another unit.

Its the plug thats the biggest headache at the moment.

Anyone had any experience with these terminals with the rubber boots?

Where I have pulled the plug out of the housing the boots pull out OK but they don't go back in, so can't release them from the old plug.
But as they will have some element of corrosion its probably best to replace anyway.

There are things that look similar on eBay, but does anyone know if Audi would be able to sell 'repair wires' of the correct size, or how I can find out what the correct size/PN is etc?

Easiest and probably most acheivable option is a 2nd had plug chopped off and join the wires, just got to find one.

Thanks if advance for any help anyone can give.

Some photos attached.
Attachments
IMG_8847.jpg
IMG_8865.jpg
IMG_8869.jpg
IMG_8872.jpg
Used to own an RS6 C5 Avant :-(

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: ABS Controller problem

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:27 pm

If it's just that pin that's snapped off it looks like an easy enough repair.

You can get the pins and plugs from Audi. Bit of a faff finding the right one. You could look in ETKA or one of the parts catalogues in the FAQ.

Someone also posted up a picture with all the different pins and part numbers. Might still be on here somewhere or search the internet for it.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:31 pm

Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

jamrowls
1st Gear

Post by jamrowls » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for the link, very handy, but could not find the terminals this has.
Nor could Audi advise what it has in it or what repair wires may be suitable.
It not just the one terminal, it needs a new plug as that was damaged and you can't pull the grommets back out through the old one.
So needs all new plug and wires.
So I bought a new harness from Audi for £299.36. Due of 7-10 days.

Both ACTronics and BBA Reman have said they can not repair the controller with its missing pin.
Audi want £2188 for a new one!
So I bought a S/H unit from the USA via eBay for £245.64. Due 10-19 days.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:25 am

Sorry to read this James. Dads previous A3 (55 plate) had the ABS unit fault, car had full Audi history at the time but was too far outside warranty period unfortunately, was £1200 ish I think at Audi? Vaguely recall I collected the car for him, cannot remember exact reason why, I definitely didn't pay the bill though. Before his went, I had no idea it was such a common failure on more modern Audis. Even found a receipt for one in the file that came with my workhorse B5 A4

Fingers crossed both elements arrive within quoted time scales and you can get them into the car without too much grief
B5 B6 B7 B9

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:39 am

His failure is unusual, though. Most of the time it's the little golden wires inside the controller that become detached from the PCB. That's a pig of a repair.

Presumably that £2188 is for a complete ABS unit complete with hydraulics?

jamrowls
1st Gear

Post by jamrowls » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Yes Ian, after some research a problem with the unit is very common, but companies such as ACTronics have it well under control they even have a YouTube vid of how they fix it, very professional, as Shop says for an internal wire.

But mine is different, it involves a plug that was cracked, not fully seated and a big puddle that took me by surprise - a week later this is the result. There is a nice route from the road to the plug via the cooling cutouts in the arch liner, oh well.

jamrowls
1st Gear

Post by jamrowls » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 pm

And yes £2188 is the complete unit, its just one PN. Same as what I have coming, but I'm just going to use the electronics.

madi
2nd Gear

Post by madi » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Hey there, i had a similar fault with my abs module and ended up replacing it with a second hand one.. I was getting the same symptoms and the same codes along with ABS etc.

I have a spare abs controller in the garage somewhere, which i am willing to sell.

If you need more info PM me please.

Thanks

jamrowls
1st Gear

Post by jamrowls » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Collected the harness today, shouldn't be too bad, photo attached.

Madi -I already have one on the way from the USA, but thanks.
Attachments
IMG_8990.jpg

jamrowls
1st Gear

Post by jamrowls » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:36 pm

The harness is fun, when it comes into the cabin on the passenger side the power goes behind the dash to the drivers side, a large part of it goes under the front seats and over the transmission tunnel and to the drivers side, with smaller parts going to the back on each side. I was hoping it was all going to the back on the one side, but no, lots of bits have to come out. And of course its intertwined with the loom, which is all wrapped up.

So im about 8 hours in, its in place in the engine bay, all through to the cabin, old harness removed. So all the hard work out of the way, just need to run the new harness in the cabin and put everything back in. And the controller arrived from the USA yesterday so all set for a return to service on the weekend.

The car will be a bit lighter afterwards as I found a tracker under the carpet which is now in the bin.
Attachments
IMG_9019.jpg

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:26 am

Holy crap
B5 B6 B7 B9

jamrowls
1st Gear

Post by jamrowls » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 pm

And its done.

About 20 hours total I guess, and having done a lot of it before at different times, this is a big job for what it is.

The controller was not coded - do they somehow reset when attached to a different car?
Or rather the car only knows the exact one. Like they have a mac address, so even if replaced with an RS6 coded controller from another car it shows up blank as its a different 'mac address'?

Anyway, coded and test driven - no faults.

Lessons:
-Make sure your abs controller plug is 'closed' properly
-Make sure your abs controller plug is not cracked
-Don't drive through big puddles on the near side

Great to get the car back to life - 3 weeks off the road was not fun (its my daily driver).

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:42 pm

The first time you code a new unit it learns the VIN. I have heard there is a limit to the number of new VINs it will accept but I have no hard data.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Glad you got it sorted James
B5 B6 B7 B9

Return to “RS6 / RS6 plus (C5 Typ 4B) 2002-2004”