Anybody bought an S6 recently?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 420 bhp
Babw
Neutral

Anybody bought an S6 recently?

Post by Babw » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:01 pm

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I was initially looking to buy a used C7 RS6 for about the 60k mark as a second car. I have a Nissan GTR which is a keeper and my "best" car, unfortunately such is the performance of the thing; it's rendered owning anything as slow as a diesel A6 estate impossible.

The RS6 is fantastic but it would just be a daily car for me (and the girlfriend), I never considered an S6 until today when a dealer offered me a very good rate on a brand new made to order car with far better spec than any RS6 I can find in my budget. The only new car I've bought is my GTR and I've been very lucky with the depreciation (or lack of it).

The rate being offered is 3.9% for Audi finance for the S6 which is making me very tempted to buy the new S6 on finance, I would be keeping it for a number of years with probably purchasing it if there's equity remaining at the end of the deal to keep for even longer.

I can see the S6 is nowhere near as popular as the RS6 but the understated appearance really appeals to me, the performance is more than adequate for a daily.

Anything I should be aware of? Are RS6's that much better than an S6?

Ian_C
Cruising

Re: Anybody bought an S6 recently?

Post by Ian_C » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:40 pm

I think the current S6 is possibly one of the most under rated Audis of recent years. It was on sale for such a short period before the RS6 arrived it never really got a look in. Used, I think they are an absolute bargain. And for just over 2k you could have a Milltek and an MRC remap.

However, new would only make any sense if the dealer was giving you something bonkers like 25% discount. Sadly the S6 S7 + S8 are massive depreciators from new. At a glance, on Audi Approved, there are two October 2015 cars (one just under and one just over 40k) and a Jan 2016 for £43k. And thats what they are asking. You wouldn't get anything like that if you were having to sell. Try using the Audi 'value my car' tool to get an idea. People might plan to buy new and spread the epic initial depreiction over a few years on finance, but sometimes situations change and if you needed to move the car on you'd be in negative equity (unless you put down about a 25% deposit cash - which you'd lose immediately of course)

A new S6 is going to lose far far far more over 3 years from new than say an RS6 would depreciate between ages 2 and 5 years. And which would you rather be cruising around in for three years?!
B5 B6 B7 B9

bigchunk
Neutral

Post by bigchunk » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:04 am

I bought my S6 a couple of months ago, traded in my 2002 911 Carrera 4 for it and I absolutely love it to bits.
It was a pre registered 6 months old car (November 2015, so the facelift model) with 26 miles on the clock, and it was over 23k cheaper than if I ordered the same car/spec new, a couple of options that I would have liked that it did not have, but overall I love it, I am not a PCP fan, only ever buy cars on HP or outright, I know it suits some people but its not for me.
I would recommend one but not new, so much money to loss on a car after only 6 months, never mind a year, but they are a great car to buy second hand if you can live with not getting the exact spec you want, there is also a good chance most of the additional things you want could be retrofitted anyway (I am going to add keyless entry and the ambiance lighting to mine when I get the time), but may not be cheap to do, so worth investigating if the additional things do mean that much to you.

Babw
Neutral

Post by Babw » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks for the input guys. Much to think about.

Firstly I think I need to drive the S6 and RS6 back to back. I'm hoping to get near 20% discount on a 73k order S6 so that should offset a lot of the first couple of years depreciation. An RS6 with the spec I want is over 20k more than the brand new S6 so purely on a value point I'm finding it hard to justify extra money for car I don't really want but I completely see the point about resale/depreciation.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:35 pm

bigchunk wrote:It was a pre registered 6 months old car (November 2015, so the facelift model) with 26 miles on the clock, and it was over 23k cheaper than if I ordered the same car/spec new......
One thousands pounds depreciation a mile!!! :jump:

So that's mid 40s if you don't mind me being blunt?
B5 B6 B7 B9

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Babw wrote:Thanks for the input guys. Much to think about.

Firstly I think I need to drive the S6 and RS6 back to back. I'm hoping to get near 20% discount on a 73k order S6 so that should offset a lot of the first couple of years depreciation. An RS6 with the spec I want is over 20k more than the brand new S6 so purely on a value point I'm finding it hard to justify extra money for car I don't really want but I completely see the point about resale/depreciation.
73k S6. Are you mad?! A 20% discount will not even begin to offset the titanic depreciation! Let's say you get it for 20% (58k), it will still lose another 20k in the first 12 months (see bigchunks post above)

Definitely worth ringing around a few dealers to put the feelers out there for your perfect spec 12-18 month old RS6, speak to a few different dealer networks if you can (rather than neighbouring dealers in the same group) and set up an email alert on Pistonheads etc etc! :thumbs:

Or just post your 'absolutely must have' and 'desirable to have' list on here. :thumbs:

60k buys you a LOT more RS6 than it did 12-18 months ago. Personally I'd sit and wait for the right one to come up. It was painful doing this when I was S4 hunting many years ago, and although a significantly lesser car, as a family we recently spent ages waiting for the right 6-12 month old A3 with all the toys crop up at Audi. Sometimes its worth the wait
B5 B6 B7 B9

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:24 pm

Does it have to be an estate? If not then you can look at the RS7s too. From memory they seemed to depreciate quicker than the 6 so may be some bargains to be had.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:17 pm

The rational thing to do is to try and think how many years you're likely to own the car for, take your best estimate how much each the RS6 and S6 will be worth at the end of your ownership, and then compare the total depreciation cost over the ownership.

Perhaps other forum members can help fill in the blanks, as I haven't the foggiest on depreciation on these 2.

Is the S6 deal on PCP? What's the GFV and how many years if you don't mind me asking? Could be a good indication.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Babw
Neutral

Post by Babw » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Ian_C wrote:

73k S6. Are you mad?!
:drink: My girlfriend certainly thinks so!

The S6 depreciation in real life isn't quite as bad as you perceive. There's a 2016 car on the approved used site for 50k (it's actually less than 50k with the discount offered to me for an equivalent new car). With 5k miles and at about a year old they would buy it back for 43k which is about 6k depreciation. The list price is 63k so that could be seen as 20k depreciation but I don't think anyone is naive enough to pay list for one of these.

I also don't think the RS6 is going to hold it's value as well as the previous incarnations due to so many being sold; I assume due to PCP discounts. 3 year old cars with 30k miles are valuing at mid to late 40's so 10k loss per year (at a discounted price) which is pretty much inline with the S6.

In an ideal world I would happily buy a low mileage 3 year old car with the specs I want but as a daily driver the thought of buying new with peace of mind/warranty certainly plays a part. If it was purely emotional and I was buying to replace the GTR I would hold on for an RS6 as no contest it's the more special car but the S6 is very appealing. Just wish there was more choice on the used market.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:43 pm

Babw wrote:
Ian_C wrote:

73k S6. Are you mad?!
:drink: My girlfriend certainly thinks so!

The S6 depreciation in real life isn't quite as bad as you perceive. There's a 2016 car on the approved used site for 50k (it's actually less than 50k with the discount offered to me for an equivalent new car). With 5k miles and at about a year old they would buy it back for 43k which is about 6k depreciation. The list price is 63k so that could be seen as 20k depreciation but I don't think anyone is naive enough to pay list for one of these.

I also don't think the RS6 is going to hold it's value as well as the previous incarnations due to so many being sold; I assume due to PCP discounts. 3 year old cars with 30k miles are valuing at mid to late 40's so 10k loss per year (at a discounted price) which is pretty much inline with the S6.

In an ideal world I would happily buy a low mileage 3 year old car with the specs I want but as a daily driver the thought of buying new with peace of mind/warranty certainly plays a part. If it was purely emotional and I was buying to replace the GTR I would hold on for an RS6 as no contest it's the more special car but the S6 is very appealing. Just wish there was more choice on the used market.
50k is still waaaay too much to spend used - as you say yourself, a fairly basic spec factory order can be had for this figure (discounted). 1 year old for 40k makes much more sense - maybe 45k if its loaded / only six months old like bigchunk above. I'm not sure Audi would buy back a 12 month old with 5k miles @ 43k? They are selling two 12 months olds for 40k as mentioned above. After that, the depreciation slows down a bit - a three year old with sensible mileage are still 30k. There is no hiding from the first 6 / 12 months - no matter which way you look at it, it's just hideous. Which is a shame as its an awesome car - more than C5 RS6 levels of power torque and performance - but the high list price and high options price means second hand there is a huge price correction down to the level people will pay for a used one

You are exactly right, the RS6 definitely depreciates equally fast - if not faster - from new. The point I was trying to make - put 55k into an 18-24 month old RS6 instead of a new S6. No matter what discount you get, an S6 will depreciate more over three years from new than an RS6 will between 18/24 months and 4.5 / 5 years. The RS6 might also be easier to sell on than the S6! And you'll have more fun and more kudos!
B5 B6 B7 B9

bigchunk
Neutral

Post by bigchunk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:12 am

Ian_C wrote:
bigchunk wrote:It was a pre registered 6 months old car (November 2015, so the facelift model) with 26 miles on the clock, and it was over 23k cheaper than if I ordered the same car/spec new......

Not at all Ian, got it for low 40s, and to me was as close to a new car as can be, without actually being a new car! :D

Babw
Neutral

Post by Babw » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:00 am

FaisalJ wrote:The rational thing to do is to try and think how many years you're likely to own the car for, take your best estimate how much each the RS6 and S6 will be worth at the end of your ownership, and then compare the total depreciation cost over the ownership.

Perhaps other forum members can help fill in the blanks, as I haven't the foggiest on depreciation on these 2.

Is the S6 deal on PCP? What's the GFV and how many years if you don't mind me asking? Could be a good indication.
I think it's a car that I would keep for 3-4 years minimum especially if I bought it new with the 4 year warranty pack.

My criteria is - petrol V8, faster than the normal TDi/BiTdi level, Q car appearance as it'll be used for business trips/supermarket/parked in town, lots of toys and gadgets, 4WD and late 20's/early 30's mpg on a run. I hardly even get bored of a car due to appearance rather performance so if after 4 years I feel the S6 is a bit slower than I'd like I can always go down the modifying route.

Looking at the GFV the RS6 is -50k and S6 -40k. I'm sure the RS6 will retain more than the S6 eventually but even looking at the C6 the RS6 demands about 15k more than an equivalent S6 which I think means the RS6 has lost more money. I'm not sure of the exact prices when new but I would be surprised if the RS6 cost less than 15k over the S6.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:26 pm

bigchunk wrote:
Ian_C wrote:

Not at all Ian, got it for low 40s, and to me was as close to a new car as can be, without actually being a new car! :D
Even better than I thought then! Sooooooooo much car for the money. :beerchug:
B5 B6 B7 B9

Return to “S6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2012-2018”