R8 Mag Ride - can I replace a single failed shock?

Models: V10 plus, GT, GT Spyder, V8 Limited Edition, Exclusive Selection Edition, China Edition and LMX
4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp (2007-2011) - 424 bhp (2012-2014)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 518 bhp (2012-2014) - 542 bhp (Plus 2012-2014) - 562 bhp (LMX 2012-2014)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 533 bhp (2015-)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 602 bhp (Plus 2015-)
alpinestars
2nd Gear

R8 Mag Ride - can I replace a single failed shock?

Post by alpinestars » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi, looking for a bit of advice. I have a v10, on which the front two shocks are leaking/weeping oil. The car is under an Audi extended warranty. After a lot of debate, the dealer has agreed that the front driver's side should be subject to a warranty claim and Audi warranty services has agreed to meet the claim.

My question is that, common wisdom suggest that both shocks on an axle should be replaced. Given the passenger side shock is showing signs of oil leaks, should the dealer have tried to get both shocks replaced? What's the advice from the forum and what should my next steps be?

Thanks in advance.

Nudenut
4th Gear

Re: R8 Mag Ride - can I replace a single failed shock?

Post by Nudenut » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:12 am

I had a single shock replaced by Audi without issue, if you can blag the pair then happy days.
R8 V10 Coupe, R-Tronic - Ibis White & All the Carbon + Ceramics + Heffner Performance Twin Turbo.

mpg
Neutral

Re: R8 Mag Ride - can I replace a single failed shock?

Post by mpg » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:32 pm

I had the right mag shock replaced on my TTS. The car was noticeably bouncy on the right side when you pushed down on each front corner. The right shock was providing very little resistance compared to the new mag shock. Now the right side is perfect in Sport and in non-sport mode. The other shock, on the left, isnt quite as firm in non-sport mode or when the shock is not electrified. On sharp bumps there is more noise coming from the left side, which has the original shock than on the right side that has the new, replaced shock. When I hit the Sport switch the shocks seem to have less contrast from each other and equally firm unless you hit a very hard road blemish and then you notice noise more on the left.
Conclusion, shocks deteriorate over time. My left shock, although not totally gone, is not like it was when it was new. My right side is like new. Ideally, you should replace both shocks. They are approximately $1000 CDN per shock plus 2.5 hours labour per shock. I'm thinking about replacing the the left shock as well. The shocks are an essential element of this car. I would never consider swapping out out the mag ride shocks for regular shocks. You would alter the whole dynamics of the TTS. It's too bad that the magnetic shocks are so expensive.

Return to “R8 Coupé / Spyder (Typ 42) 2007-”