Audi A4 TDi cluster adaptation problem

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
teknobod
2nd Gear

Audi A4 TDi cluster adaptation problem

Post by teknobod » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Ok folks, not a S/RS but a VAG model just the same. To cut a long story short, I stuffed my father's 2003 A4 TDi instrument cluster trying to read out the pin code using the wrong kit (Wanting to code spare key (Note:- Don't use SuperVAG hand held unit on RB4 crypto dashes - RTFM!!!!!)) :bash: :bash: :bash:

Dash ended up with 'DEF' fault.
I purchased an identical replacement used dash from Ebay, and with my confidence knocked from trashing it in the first place, was recommended an Auto electrician with dealer level diagnostic kit to adapt it.

I had to pay for 3 hours of his time even though he was unable to adapt it (to say I was a little p**'d of is an understatement!!!), although he did disable the immo in the engine ECU so I can start the car should I need to take it anywhere to get it sorted. (immo lamp flashing on dash)

Anyway, I've done quite a bit of Googling and think I may have found a possible reason.

When trying to perform the adaptation, I can login using the new cluster pin, selecting adaptation value 50 and entering the pin for the engine ECU (I don't have the pin for the old cluster, the reason for this whole sorry saga! although I am informed they should be the same) block 1 changes from '?PIN' to Malfunction, although none of the lock timers increment (block 24 values all 0)

If I check measuring block 22 in instruments using VCDS, the second block (ECU responding) shows a value of 0 (which I believe will block adaptation)
'New' dash Block 22 values 0,0,1,0

Unfortunately, there's little information I can get from the old dash, as it's showing an internal memory error now (due to being corrupted)

I am reluctant to spend any more money with people who 'should' be able to do it, but would appreciate any advice from forum members.

Happy to pay anyone local who can fix it (Leeds, West Yorkshire area)

Cheers
Andy

teknobod
2nd Gear

Re: Audi A4 TDi cluster adaptation problem

Post by teknobod » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Looks like I may be on my own with this one!!!! :cry:

Does anyone happen to know if the dash needs to be 'virginised' in order to be adapted to a 2003 car (ie set to as new (mode 4))?

It's immo 3, if that helps those in the know.

Andy

teknobod
2nd Gear

Re: Audi A4 TDi cluster adaptation problem

Post by teknobod » Sat May 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Unfortunately, no-one seemed to know (or was willing to tell me) whether the dash needed to be virginised in order to be adapted, so in the end I bit the bullet and had it virginised by a local company (who coincidentally did confirm to me that I would not be able to adapt a dash that wasn't new or virginised).

However, that wasn't the end of the problem.
The information here Ross-tech Immo3 measuring-blocks is the key to getting it working (along with the knowledge about cluster modes above)

From my original post:
If I check measuring block 22 in instruments using VCDS, the second block (ECU responding) shows a value of 0 (which I believe will block adaptation)
I discovered that I had to re-enable the immobiliser in the engine ECU which changed the 0 value to 1 in field 2 of the Instruments measuring block 22 (ECU Responding), thus allowing the 2 controllers to communicate.

But, again that wasn't the end of the problem.

Even though I had managed to read the SKC from the engine ECU, I was unable to login using the aquired SKC.

The other thing that will block adaptation is any fault codes stored in the controllers or non 0 values in Instrument measuring block 24 (Cluster Lock Time, ECU Lock Time and Transponder Lock Time).

What was misleading, was the fact that all these values were 0 (minutes) with the 'new' cluster installed. With the old cluster fitted, all values were 255.

In order to clear the timers, the ignition needs to be switched on, so with the old cluster installed, I attached a battery charger to the car and left it powered on in my garage for 4.5 hours!!

Once the timers had cleared, I tried to enter the Engine ECU SKC and it worked! Eureka..
I left the ignition on, disconnected the old cluster, installed the new cluster, performed the adaptation for new cluster as per Ross Tech's site and it worked worked fine. All keys were then matched succesfully and because the cluster mileage had been reset to 0 at the same time as the 'virginisation', I was also able to input the correct mileage.(one useful tip when applying the mileage is to change the soft coding of the cluster to use a country code where mileages are measured in kilometers (eg Canada), enter the mileage, then reset the coding back to UK)

Job done. :jump:

I hope this serves to help anyone who finds themselves in the same predicament in future.

I've taken a dump of the new dash and hope to write this to my 'trashed' cluster in order to make it usable again, although I'll make a jig to connect it rather than doing it in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bash:

Andy

Return to “General Car Chat”