Warranties and guarantees

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
liffy99
2nd Gear

Warranties and guarantees

Post by liffy99 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:19 pm

I am looking at a possible purchase of a B9 RS5. The first owner had an Audi extended warranty which expires in a few months time. Towards the end of his ownership the whole engine was replaced under warranty. In the two months since then the car was purchased by the second owner who, just weeks later, is selling again ( he was offered a great deal on a newer RS3 apparently although this has now fallen through) . Sounds a bit weird I know but maybe it’s legit.

Anyway, as far as I understand it Audi will not simply transfer the remaining extended warranty to me as the third owner ( just Audi’s typical lack of support as there is no reason they could not choose to do so). I would have to buy a new one.

But, would the engine still be covered ? I’ve been told that Audi fitted parts carry a two year guarantee - is this irrespective of owner. Or does the fact the engine was replaced under warranty mean the guarantee does not apply ?

I have tried speaking to Audi but am getting conflicting responses.

Dubbsley
1st Gear

Re: Warranties and guarantees

Post by Dubbsley » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:19 pm

My vague recollection of Audi warranties are;

1 - if the complete repair was paid for by the warranty then the 2 year rule doesn’t apply & the warranty on those parts expire with the main warranty (even if it’s 1 day since new parts was fitted). Bonkers I know.

2 - if part of the warranty cost was paid by the owner then the 2 year warranty on parts rule will apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liffy99
2nd Gear

Post by liffy99 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:34 pm

Thanks. The payment contribution part is a little opaque in that the owner would a) have paid for the warranty and, presumably, paid an excess on the claim. Don’t either of these count as ‘payment ‘.

I’ll try Audi UK for a definitive response in the week.

liffy99
2nd Gear

Post by liffy99 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:42 pm

Getting horribly mixed messages from Audi - no-one seems to know.
I also asked about transfer of an extended warranty ( to me as a buyer of a private car) - apparently not, which seems daft - the full cost of the warranty has already been paid - surely the warranty goes with the car ( along with the original conditions such as level of cover, excess and annual mileage) ?
I’ve also hear that repairs with genuine Audi parts ( esp if fitted by Audi) carry a 2 year guarantee, irrespective of warranty or owner. But no idea where this came from. Anyone out there with a policy document that can check the Ts and Cs ?

Return to “General Car Chat”