Transferring NCB

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
liffy99
2nd Gear

Transferring NCB

Post by liffy99 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:52 pm

Well, here’s something I didn’t know !
I always though the No Claims Bonus was a personal thing to reflect one’s degree of care when driving ( ie not needing to make claims).
I have built mine up over many years over a number of cars.

As I am likely to have two insured cars for a while ( selling the old one, buying a replacement) I presumed by NCB would apply to both. After all, I can only drive one at a time.

Not so ! My insurer tells me I would need to transfer the NCB to the new car, leaving the old one less protected.

This seems bonkers - it certainly does not work like that on much of the continent 👿

HPsauce
4th Gear

Re: Transferring NCB

Post by HPsauce » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:28 pm

Most insurers will offer temporary cover at "reasonably fair" rates to cover such situations, certainly for a few days maybe weeks.
I've done this many times and never felt overcharged.

Or are you trying to keep both for a extended period? In which case that is the way NCB works and ALWAYS has in the UK, it's per policy not per individual.

liffy99
2nd Gear

Post by liffy99 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:49 pm

Seems it does indeed ! Nonsensical ? Just another way for insurance companies to squeeze a bit more 😂

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:41 pm

Not nonsensical at all, unless you're used to an equally nonsensical system that works differently!
The driver is only a part of the risk insurers cover. e.g. if you have two cars and are out driving one, the other is available to be nicked!

liffy99
2nd Gear

Post by liffy99 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:28 pm

Fair enough 😉

Return to “General Car Chat”