Japan import speedo conversion

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
RS4_Dan
Neutral

Post by RS4_Dan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:31 pm

Hi all,

Considering buying a Japan import RS6 (c6) in the UK - am aware of the radio and Tv tuning compatibility issues along with the Speedo being in km/h.

Has anyone had experience of having the speedo converted to mph? Or can recommend a company that does this work?

Having looked through eBay the scaling looks different from Japan to uk so not just a dial face swap. Don’t fancy the task of recoding a complete unit with the old mileage (if even possible). Maybe possible that the US or Australian version is the right scaling?

Just thought I would see what others have done? Any thoughts appreciated.

Dubbsley
1st Gear

Re: Japan import speedo conversion

Post by Dubbsley » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:50 pm

RS4_Dan wrote:Hi all,

Considering buying a Japan import RS6 (c6) in the UK - am aware of the radio and Tv tuning compatibility issues along with the Speedo being in km/h.

Has anyone had experience of having the speedo converted to mph? Or can recommend a company that does this work?

Having looked through eBay the scaling looks different from Japan to uk so not just a dial face swap. Don’t fancy the task of recoding a complete unit with the old mileage (if even possible). Maybe possible that the US or Australian version is the right scaling?

Just thought I would see what others have done? Any thoughts appreciated.
Check out Lockwood dials, I’ve got to do the same for B7 RS4 as it’s a jap import, the dial kit for mine is £95. Hope that gives you some help, link below.

https://lockwoodinternational.co.uk/pro ... t-no-c080/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS4_Dan
Neutral

Post by RS4_Dan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:05 pm

Many thanks. I had hoped that it was that simple however from photos I have seen of uk / Japan dials the Japan dials show 112kmh (70mph) at about 12:30 - the uk dials show it around 11:00 so there appears to be a calibration difference.

If only it was stick n play!

Dubbsley
1st Gear

Post by Dubbsley » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:23 pm

RS4_Dan wrote:Many thanks. I had hoped that it was that simple however from photos I have seen of uk / Japan dials the Japan dials show 112kmh (70mph) at about 12:30 - the uk dials show it around 11:00 so there appears to be a calibration difference.

If only it was stick n play!
Yea if you select the correct dial kit u need, it’s a simple peel your kmh dial off & stick down the new mph, they advise to do it when cold & take a pic before you start for reference of the needle position at rest.

https://lockwoodinternational.co.uk/pro ... t-no-c299/

This should be the kit for yours.

RS4_Dan
Neutral

Post by RS4_Dan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:36 pm

Had another look and yes it does look like it works with the sweep of the original dial.

Will double check with Lockwood first to make sure it has the outer cruise control transparencies.

Many thanks :thumbs:

RS4_Dan
Neutral

Post by RS4_Dan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:00 pm

Just a shame that they didn’t follow Audi’s font / colour scheme. Maybe a copyright issue.

Return to “General Car Chat”