rear end too low due to DRC? (another coilover question i guess)

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
Mark_b
Neutral

rear end too low due to DRC? (another coilover question i guess)

Post by Mark_b » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Hi all.

I know the whole coilover vs DRC debate has been done to death, but I'm interested to hear if anyone has experienced (and permanently remediated, preferably!) the rear end of their B7 RS4 sagging to a point that they find unacceptable due to DRC specific problems.

Ideally I'd prefer to keep the DRC on my car, but I don't want to sink thousands and thousands of pounds into retaining something that will just do the same thing over and over.

Cost is a concern, clearly, but I was fully aware that it wasn't going to be a cheap car to maintain properly when I bought it.

Cheers,

Mark.

P.S. I have a good amount of experience of owning fast cars with coilovers in the past and whilst they were fun, I'm a bit too old and fatg to tolerate an excessively harsh ride these days!

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Re: rear end too low due to DRC? (another coilover question i guess)

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:34 pm

If there’s no obvious signs of leakage from the dampers or pipe work, then you could just get the system recharged, my local Indy charges about £150 for this.

coffey555
5th Gear

Re: rear end too low due to DRC? (another coilover question i guess)

Post by coffey555 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:11 pm

Replace the springs and put in new spring seats at the same time, that will fix the ride height. These cars always look like the rear sits lower due to the extra wheel to arch gap at the front (needed for when you hit a bump on full lock).

Standard SS always looks like it sits too high. SS+ springs are10mm lower.

You can always fit H&R lowering springs (20mm drop) or Eibach (15mm drop) and these even out the front to rear.

Or fit KW adjustable springs which allow you to set the ride height exactly how you want it whilst retaining the DRC dampers.

If DRC is in good working order, as said above, recharge it.

If not, replace the dampers with custom Koni dampers. Thats the next best option in terms of retaining ride quality.

Any 15 year old spring will sag no matter how free of corrosion it appears to be.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Return to “General Car Chat”