New car theft trend

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
stevo55
5th Gear

New car theft trend

Post by stevo55 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:55 am

This may not be ‘new’ but it was new to me.
Picked up missus’ new car in Derby a few days ago and the dealer was telling me that there is a very current trend that is in that area.
Basically:
Persons turn up to look at/test drive a car advertised online (am thinking high end vehicle).
Whilst they have control of the key it is then covertly cloned.
Gang then return in the silent hours to steal said vehicle with their newly created key.
Simple but effective.
Another one to be aware of.
Broken record I know but by FAR the best solution is a multi layered approach of both physical and tech. Don’t concentrate purely on tech countermeasures.
Make it a pain in the ar5e to steal, so much so they go pick one that isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 R8 V10 Plus
2019 E63s AMG 4Matic Estate.
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust.
2017 BMW M3 Competition Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

simundo777
2nd Gear

Re: New car theft trend

Post by simundo777 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 pm

I've heard this happen a few times.

I've just had a Ghost immobiliser on my RS4 as the insurance company requested it! Thankfully this does prevent the above happening.
Current: B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
Gone: B8 RS4 Nogaro Edition. BMW 1M. Cayman 981S. E90 M3. E46 M3 CS

stevo55
5th Gear

Post by stevo55 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:44 pm

dordeduca wrote:Electric cars have developed a lot lately. We have now discovered that the cheapest electric car will be launched on the market. 4 autonomy seats of 225 km and a trunk of 300l. It's called Dacia Spring and costs 17k euros. What do you think about her?
So you’ve been a member a while and have made a whole 2 posts. Both of which have links to some boll0cks/spam/whatever.
I mean if you’re going try and scam people at least use a relevant subject to the forums or doesn’t the bot software allow that?
Suggest you effing do one. Reported.

2016 R8 V10 Plus
2019 E63s AMG 4Matic Estate.
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust.
2017 BMW M3 Competition Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

Greg3227
2nd Gear

Post by Greg3227 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:40 pm

stevo55 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:55 am
This may not be ‘new’ but it was new to me.
Picked up missus’ new car in Derby a few days ago and the dealer was telling me that there is a very current trend that is in that area.
Basically:
Persons turn up to look at/test drive a car advertised online (am thinking high end vehicle).
Whilst they have control of the key it is then covertly cloned.
Gang then return in the silent hours to steal said vehicle with their newly created key.
Simple but effective.
Another one to be aware of.
Broken record I know but by FAR the best solution is a multi layered approach of both physical and tech. Don’t concentrate purely on tech countermeasures.
Make it a pain in the ar5e to steal, so much so they go pick one that isn’t.

And another one being performed......

Dodgy ‘buyers’ turn up to test drive your car, with you in it very probably. Then, subtly, they swap the genuine key fob with an identical fake fob, looks exactly the same, even if it’s on a bunch of keys. They hand the keys back to the owner after the test drive / viewing. The owner is blissfully unaware. Scumbags then either return later, or simply drive your car off whilst you leave them to look over it, or go inside to put the kettle on. Nightmare!

Be vigilant folks!!!!

kua
Neutral

Post by kua » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 pm

That's a pretty slick but scary scam you've described—thanks for the heads-up! It's a good reminder that while technology is useful, it can't be our only line of defense. Combining tech security with old-school physical barriers like steering wheel locks or gated parking areas really helps make your car a tougher target. Making it as difficult as possible to steal might just convince thieves to look elsewhere.

From my own experience, when selling high-end or classic cars, using reputable international platforms can also offer an added layer of security and a broader audience. I found some useful tips on this through https://www.a1autotransport.com/the-best-international-outlets-to-sell-your-classic-car/, which helped me navigate selling a classic without worrying about local scams.

Return to “General Car Chat”