2002 period VAG 'Warm Weather Pack'

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
anditsoundslikebells
3rd Gear

2002 period VAG 'Warm Weather Pack'

Post by anditsoundslikebells » Tue May 12, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi,

My 2002 C5 RS6 has the Warm Weather Pack option.... tinted windows, rear door shades & solar panels in the sunroof.
I have researched and now understand that the panels drive the internal fans to move the air internally and exhaust through open vents (I believe)

I am wondering if someone has a definitive answer to how this is turned on or managed. I've found conflicting answers.....

Is this function always on?

Is it turned on when the 'AUTO' climate function is set to ON when the car is turned off?

If so, does the required 'AUTO' temperature determine when it kicks in?

Thanks for your help,
RS6 C5 Avant 2002 Daytona Grey
TTH 620 - Wagner IC - OC.T 200cell&downpipes - DW400 pump - 034 TCU chip - FIS - B16 PSS9 - 034 control arms - H&R ARB - OZ Superturismo

HPsauce
4th Gear

Re: 2002 period VAG 'Warm Weather Pack'

Post by HPsauce » Tue May 12, 2020 6:10 pm

I'm pretty sure that's very similar to the solar panel installed on the D2 S8, which both my original had and current one has.
On a D2 it just switches in whenever the ignition is off and turns the ventilation fan if there's enough sun to generate a decent voltage.
I got a bit fed up with it being active on cold sunny winter days so fitted a bypass switch that breaks one of the wires from the panel. (Earth was easiest to get at.)

On a D2 the voltage from the panel feeds directly into the HVAC system and drives ONLY the fan, there is no cooling/aircon.
I think it's just a simple relay that controls it. Again on a D2 that relay is in the big relay panel that happens to live under the front passengers feet.
Lots of stuff in the C5 is very similar to a D2 so it's almost certainly the same setup, though I've no idea where the relay is.

It really is as simple as solar panel connected directly to ventilation fan when the ignition is off. 8)
None of the controls affect it whatsoever, it just does what it does depending on solar input.

anditsoundslikebells
3rd Gear

Post by anditsoundslikebells » Tue May 12, 2020 6:45 pm

That makes sense. Maybe I was hoping for too much with some kind of control.
At least now I know how it works. Thanks!

Thinking about it... there is a random aftermarket switch fitted under the steering column. The guy I bought it from didn't know what it was for.
I'll have to sit in a hot car and see if it has any control over the fans.

Could work out well. Cheers
RS6 C5 Avant 2002 Daytona Grey
TTH 620 - Wagner IC - OC.T 200cell&downpipes - DW400 pump - 034 TCU chip - FIS - B16 PSS9 - 034 control arms - H&R ARB - OZ Superturismo

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue May 12, 2020 7:21 pm

Dunno where the cables run on a C5 but my D2 switch is hidden low by the glovebox, effectively on the side of the HVAC system near the relay panel.
Steering column sounds an unlikely place unless there's a lot of cabling... so probably something else.

Return to “General Car Chat”