Insurance company free legal advice service.

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
Steve123
Neutral

Insurance company free legal advice service.

Post by Steve123 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:14 pm

I have always thought the above to be little more than a way of procuring legal business for ones insurers solicitors.
Was I right about that !
Recently I had cause to sue a firm from whom I bought a fifty year old classic car. The total of my claim was about £5000.00.
Firstly I consulted my own solicitor ( who is also a County Court judge ). He assured me that I had a cast iron case.
He also pointed out to me that many insurance policies included, not just free legal advice ( I knew this already,of course ),
but also free legal representation. Upon enquiring I found that it did. I first had to submit full details of my case to their legal assessors department, who would check it for its validity . They would pass it, or not, to a suitable solicitor. They did.

So now my case has passed my legal scrutiny ( I used to be a commercial lawyer ), that of my County Court solicitor, and that of my insurers legal assessment department. Thinks are looking good !!!. A few weeks later the nominated solicitor came back with their opinion. They wouldn't take it on ! Their reasons included so many I basic errors that I concluded it had been made by a very experienced junior. I was right, and she didn't even have English as her first language.

I appealed, but at the end of the day, even after I had corrected her errors, they still wouldn't take my case on basically because they felt that it, at a claim of £5000.00, just wasn't worth their while.

So, as I always believed, "benefits" like these are just a waste of time.

Return to “General Car Chat”