Audi S5 Starting Issue

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
metzer_001
Neutral

Audi S5 Starting Issue

Post by metzer_001 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:09 am

Hi All,

I wonder if anything would be able to shed some light on my issue. I have a 2011 S5 Sportback stronic, recently the car has been refusing to start. The engine intermittently (happens more frequently when the car is warm) doesn't even turn. I thought maybe battery and had that changed but still the same issue. However no fault codes are thrown when the engine doesn't start.

Seems to be pretty identical to this:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=129927

I have recorded a short clip showing the problem: https://youtu.be/aMMGIsmGjL8

The garage that changed the battery then used a tool that measures the voltage in binary values and traced the power between the battery, starter motor and alternator. They compared the readings to when the engine was starting to when the engine wasn't working. They're 90% sure its the starter motor but as you cant visually see it (apparently only the back end is visible in the S5) under the car to tell whether its fully oxidized or wiring damage etc that leaves the 10% of uncertainty. Was quoted just under £1000 for the new starter motor and fitting.

Just wanted to get some opinions, does my issue seem likely to be starter motor related?

Thanks

Return to “General Car Chat”