Ford Focus mk2 estate problem

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
skirs6
5th Gear

Ford Focus mk2 estate problem

Post by skirs6 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:27 pm

I bought this as a general tip/dog walking car to keep the RS3 nice and clean. Last night the alarm went off on the car. I went out pressedthe unlock on the key and all seemed ok. ASI walked back in I heard a strange noise from the car and saw the wipers working at full speed even though the car was off parked and locked.
Ended up being unable to stop this so disconnected the battery.
Had another look today and it sounds like relays clicking continuously under the glove box ended up taking the fuse for the wipers out.
When you start the car everything works fine apart from the wipers, obviously.
Any ideas guys. ????

Eddie555
Cruising

Re: Ford Focus mk2 estate problem

Post by Eddie555 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 pm

1.I’d first try the wiper stalk. Unplug that put the fuse back in and see if it still wiping. If no it’s the stalk. If yes then.
2. Take the clicking relays out at the fuse box and put fuse in and see if it’s them.

I can’t see it being anything else. Unless it’s just an old piece of <beep> ford and the wiring is starting to all go wrong.
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Swapping out the relay is a lot easier, so do that first.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:08 pm

skirs6 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:27 pm
I bought this as a general tip/dog walking car to keep the RS3 nice and clean. Last night the alarm went off on the car. I went out pressedthe unlock on the key and all seemed ok. ASI walked back in I heard a strange noise from the car and saw the wipers working at full speed even though the car was off parked and locked.
Ended up being unable to stop this so disconnected the battery.
Had another look today and it sounds like relays clicking continuously under the glove box ended up taking the fuse for the wipers out.
When you start the car everything works fine apart from the wipers, obviously.
Any ideas guys. ????
For a period, Ford put the pollen filter right under the windscreen, left hand side. Very similar to Audis. Including Audis like the B5 where the windscreen scuttle IS the pollen filter lid (its one piece). At least with the Audis, even if the lid isn't seated quite right, water doesn't normally get in. With the Fords, if the lid isn't on perfectly (I think on the Focus mk1 its even GLUED on) water DOES get in. So I'd get yourself a new pollen filter from Eurocarparts and check it out. Packet of cheesy poofs says the pollen filter lid (ie water ingress) is causing it

Unfortunately learnt the hard way - had blocked drainage holes on a B5 which flooded the interior. Took the battery out, cleaned it all out, replaced the pollen filter and the cover with a good second hand replacement at the same time. Bought a B7 recently, changed the battery and pollen filter a few weeks ago, spent ages clearing out the leaves, had clearly not been done for years, there was basically compost under the battery!
B5 B6 B7 B9

Return to “General Car Chat”