CTEK Battery Charger

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: CTEK Battery Charger

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:13 pm

Noice.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Can I ask, are all of you charging your batteries because you don’t use your cars enough to keep them charged, because they are or are coming off the road for the winter or just to preserve the life of them?

Just curious.

Cheers :thumbs:

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Only do short journeys in mine most of the time.
Just changed the battery so planning on keeping this one in good nick.

Mike

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:11 pm

I don’t use mine for weeks at a time sometimes.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:21 am

I use mine daily but sometimes get errors when not fully charged. Plus subwoofer takes a toll on the battery.

Red roof
1st Gear

Post by Red roof » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:32 am

I have a Ctek MXS 5.0 almost permanently attached to my B7 RS4.
I got the m10 eyelet connections hooked up to the jump lead points under the bonnet. I removed the negative ‘bolt’ and put the eye connector between the body and big bolt and for the positive I removed a bolt to slip the eye connector on. From that I ran the cable in down the right hand side, behind the air box and Dow towards the front right fog light grill. The connector sits nicely in one of the honeycombs in the top right of the grill and is then connected to the charger with the 2.5m extension cable. The charger is plugged into an outside socket and then hung on the hook. Looks pretty good, keeps the charge over the winter months while she’s not used so much.
If I wasn’t such a lazy git I’d get off my backside and take some pics....... will post some later, maybe!
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:40 am

Sounds interesting - pics would be good, cheers

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Cig charger in the boot is the easiest solution if you have the option.

Red roof
1st Gear

Post by Red roof » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Got some pics this morning and took the opportunity to tidy up the wiring a bit.
I hope you can see what my explanation is getting at!

ImageImageImageImage

The positive is the red cable coming from below the jump point in the first pic, there’s an m8 nut and bolt that can be used.
The negative is the black cable under the jump lead bar. The jump lead bar is a pig to get off, you have to be so careful at it feels like you’ll shear the connection to the body right off!
I then ran the cable behind the bulkhead down the right hand side under the bonnet, down behind the air box and in behind the fog light.
I took the air box out to do it which was an pain but if you release the headlight it’s all possible. Don’t remove it, just loosen it and it moves about 2in forward.
The result is a pretty neat install easily reverted with no permanent mods, though the honeycomb needed a slight filing to fit the connector. That being said, the grilles are only about £40.
The car has been out of use for 4 weeks and on the trickle the whole time, fired up no worries this morning.
Let me know if I can help any more!
Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GaryA
2nd Gear

Post by GaryA » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:12 am

This is a great idea. Definitely going to look at doing something similar to avoid removing that horrible scuttle panel.
Good job :-)

GaryA
2nd Gear

Post by GaryA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:52 am

Connected mine up in the boot now. Positive to the battery terminal and negative to body. Used what would've been the spare wheel mounting point by battery in the well. Already has a threaded hole, so just used a 5mm bolt and washer.
Routed cable to come up in the boot side pocket making it easy to route out for connection with boot shut

GaryA
2nd Gear

Post by GaryA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:46 am

GaryA wrote:Connected mine up in the boot now. Positive to the battery terminal and negative to body. Used what would've been the spare wheel mounting point by battery in the well. Already has a threaded hole, so just used a 5mm bolt and washer.
Routed cable to come up in the boot side pocket making it easy to route out for connection with boot shut
Scrub this, charger threw an error overnight. Need to investigate, might connect straight to battery if it continues

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 am

Weird. Maybe a bad contact with the earthing point you used.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 am
Weird. Maybe a bad contact with the earthing point you used.
I'd say this is the most likely issue.

GaryA
2nd Gear

Post by GaryA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 am

Cheers guys, rechecked and left overnight. Everything trickling niceley

Return to “General Car Chat”