What form of media are you using?

All things related to Audi and other manufacturers
gilford
4th Gear

What form of media are you using?

Post by gilford » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 am

After taking delivery of my new RS5 a few weeks ago it pains me to say that my trusty old 160gb iPod Classic doesn't work with the new MMI, it just won't recognise it.

I'm an Apple fanboy with iTunes, what is the best way for me to get all my music in the car?

Large USB stick? Will this give me all folders and artwork etc?

Cheers for the info.
Current - 2017 Nardo RS5 8)

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: What form of media are you using?

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am

I don't know about the new RS5, I'm just going by the experience in my RS6 which his obviously a generation behind.
I use 2 hard drives with each drive partitioned into 2 drives so effectively the car sees 4 drives. The reason for this is that each USB socket can see a maximum of 2 partitions and each partition has a maximum limit of 10,000, so this gives me a maximum of 40,000 files (including folders). It takes a while for the car to go through all the folders so I try to avoid updating these too often. If I have any new albums to listen to I stick them on an SD card and put them in the car until I update the hard drives later.
both SD cards and USB display display album art. And navigation is the way I like it ie using folder structures of tbe files I use and not the apple way of cataloguing albums by name etc.
1 of my hard drives is full of high quality flac files whilst the other has my complete collection but in mp3 format. I am trying to go back and re rip all my old albums as flac so I can bin all the mp3 but it takes a lot of time.

gilford
4th Gear

Post by gilford » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:57 am

Cheers Mike, I was hoping you would reply!

The iPod Classic worked fine in my RS6, I don't have a clue why it will not in the RS5? When I plug it in I get the Audi logo on the iPod but the MMI system says "unsupported", such a shame.

I was thinking of getting a 64gb USB pen drive, what does it need formatting as (FAT32 etc)?

Is it a simple case of creating a folder on the pen drive like say "Ed Sheeran" and then put all the songs in that along with the cover art?

I really should of got the garage to explain all this to me! lol

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Yes fat32 works but I can't recall what I used for the larger hard drives.
And yes just create folders and drop them in. There is a maximum folder depth, can't remember what it is but it is not unreasonable so something like 9 or 10 folder I think.
I keep my albums in folder labelled A-F and so on. Then I have a folder for each artist then the album name.

gilford
4th Gear

Post by gilford » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Cheers!

karrenstanly
Neutral

Post by karrenstanly » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Yes, Basically we can use Pendrives and I think Bluetooth systems can be used in order to play the music from your Apple Products. I think Bluetooth is accessible from all the phones with Audi.

Return to “General Car Chat”