Aston Martin - Supercharging a V8 Vantage

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Aston Martin - Supercharging a V8 Vantage

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Been spending too much time thinking about this prospect :oops: Would love a V12 but far too poor to afford that and the V8 is just not quick enough.

So, a company called GMR have developed and now been running a supercharger conversion on their 4.3 Vantage test car, this has covered over 85k miles since the conversion. Power on the 4.3 is taken over V12 levels, and get a 4.7 to convert, you'll then be exceeding 600BHP with less weight in the nose, for better handling.

GMR link - http://gmr-uk.co.uk/

Man maths thinks, get a decent manual V8 car and then DIY the Supercharger :twisted:

Supercharger DIY - £12k? (Drive in & Drive out fitted is £17.5k inc VAT)

Example 4.3 Vantage with 27k miles for say £34k - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 1041005730

End result 580BHP and 445ft/lb for £46,000 (DIY'd)

or

Get this 4.7 with the same miles and a bit of luck for £45k - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 0298253454

End result 600BHP with 500ft/lb for £57,000 (DIY'd)
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

bam_bam
Cruising

Re: Aston Martin - Supercharging a V8 Vantage

Post by bam_bam » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:42 pm

How would this affect resale? Would you just revert and recover costs best you could?
I love the idea, baby Astons are beautiful things but as you say, too slow.

Subscribed.
No matter where you go, there you are.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Hate Shmee, but we all still watch don't we... take it you saw this the other day on YouTube San? Not a bad prospect. The Vantage looks great from that era as its barely changed since. What's not to like?!

lofty
3rd Gear

Post by lofty » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:45 pm

marc1 wrote:Hate Shmee, but we all still watch don't we... take it you saw this the other day on YouTube San? Not a bad prospect. The Vantage looks great from that era as its barely changed since. What's not to like?!
So so handling, poor build, corrosion, antiquated tech (the sat nav was outdated 10 years ago) and Ford Fiesta key.
Looks and sound great though

max_b
4th Gear

Post by max_b » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:24 pm

Sam have a look at http://www.bamfordrose.com if you're thinking of going this route.
These guys have done lots of Aston work including bespoke conversions.

Both the 4.3 and 4.7 lumps are very workable for more power and noise. Ideally buy as late a car as possible if you are after creature comforts, else if it's for the power, looks and noise only then even an early example will more than suffice, as you end up doing lots of main part upgrades along with the engine work
Mortgages, Insurance, Financial Matters.....need help....ask away
RS4.....another :-)
Previous - all sorts

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:21 pm

bam_bam wrote:How would this affect resale? Would you just revert and recover costs best you could?
I love the idea, baby Astons are beautiful things but as you say, too slow.
Agree, I've always liked the look of this era of Aston Martin. Not sure on the recent DB11 styling direction though, but yet to see one in person.

With the 4.3 being so cheap now, I imagine that the market is pretty small for them and even smaller for a Supercharged one.

marc1 wrote:Hate Shmee, but we all still watch don't we... take it you saw this the other day on YouTube Sam? Not a bad prospect. The Vantage looks great from that era as its barely changed since. What's not to like?!
Yes, guilty Marc :oops: . His videos keep coming up as suggestions, then I have been watching his GT8 being built by Aston Martin. So I guess that's why. The Charged GMR video made me re-visit the idea, as I remember PH doing a review on the conversion a little while ago.

http://www.pistonheads.com/road-tests/a ... rged/34257

max_b wrote:Sam have a look at http://www.bamfordrose.com if you're thinking of going this route. These guys have done lots of Aston work including bespoke conversions.

Both the 4.3 and 4.7 lumps are very workable for more power and noise. Ideally buy as late a car as possible if you are after creature comforts, else if it's for the power, looks and noise only then even an early example will more than suffice, as you end up doing lots of main part upgrades along with the engine work
Thanks Max, I have looked through the website of Bamford Rose. They're also the ones bashing the GMR Supercharged conversion, when you start digging around. Competition to their own products I guess?

The 4.7 with sports pack seems to make sense really, but getting into a Vantage S is only just a bit more. Suddenly then, you're spending 20k over a 4.3 and go back around the whole loop :lol:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:45 pm

Sub'd!!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Shinobi675
5th Gear

Post by Shinobi675 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:44 am

Sub'd
996 C4S, B8 RS4, CBR600RR & a little ZXR400

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Tue May 30, 2017 12:33 pm

Seeing this one below didn't help the pangs for this topic.

That was the final bid for a manual 4.3 with new clutch recently fitted, it was quite clean and wore the 55k miles really well.
V8_Vantage.jpg

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:10 pm

That's cheap.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

max_b
4th Gear

Post by max_b » Tue May 30, 2017 10:11 pm

That was a priced well especially if it had its annual servicing. Don't think I've seen one that cheap for a while. Only a matter of time Sam :thumb:
Mortgages, Insurance, Financial Matters.....need help....ask away
RS4.....another :-)
Previous - all sorts

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Tue May 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Y didn't you buy it?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Tue May 30, 2017 11:31 pm

*Why (can tell you've been lurking on BMW forums)

It was only the baby 4.3, I'm not entirely convinced that I could actually carry through and modify something to that extent either. Especially being non OEM, although I have just purchased The Definitive Guide to (Gaydon era) Aston Martin - aka The Bible.

dougle_turbo
3rd Gear

Post by dougle_turbo » Tue May 30, 2017 11:36 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 11:31 pm
*Why (can tell you've been lurking on BMW forums)

It was only the baby 4.3, I'm not entirely convinced that I could actually carry through and modify something to that extent either. Especially being non OEM, although I have just purchased The Definitive Guide to (Gaydon era) Aston Martin - aka The Bible.
You've as good as started a build then.....

Subscribed
2010 987 Cayman S.
Clio 172 Cup track car "Nicole" aka NV2 Sold
Clio 172 Cup track car "Nicole" aka NV1 - R.I.P
2007 Phantom black RS4 avant - with added ceramics. Sold
2006 Phantom black RS4 saloon. Sold
1990 Black Audi S2 (3B) - full engine rebuild. Sold
1981 Black Porsche 924 Turbo, rescued from under a tree and restored. Sold

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Tue May 30, 2017 11:55 pm

:lol: Trying to keep an open mind.

I wouldn't mind paying GMR a visit, so that I can get a feel for them. But I'm never down in the SW.

Return to “Other”