Test Drive

3.0 V6 TFSI quattro - 349 bhp
3.0 V6 TDI quattro - 309 bhp
DeanR9
2nd Gear

Test Drive

Post by DeanR9 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Got to take the Audi area managers SQ5 out for a few hours the other week, I've been real interested in these ever since I heard about the launch. I'd read pretty much everything I could find on the net. It still surprised the hell out of me, for it's size, height and weight it goes and handles well. It wasn't as economical as I was hoping after reading it could reach 44mpg combined but then I did give it an absolute hammering the whole time I had it. Overall though I was impressed and have put a deposit down.
For me it's to run along side the R8 plus, I was after something economical I could jump in for doing small run around trips, winter weather and spec'd with the swivel tow bar, tow my kitcar to tracks, etc. Jumping out of the V10 and the kitcar I didn't think I could cope with anything without a bit of punch to it and so this ticks a lot of boxes for what I was looking for. The picture is the Area managers one, you cannot spec the running boards on an SQ5 but I'm having the dealership fit them to mine too, the same as they've done to this one, it just finishes off the look I think. :kissmyrings:

doodlebug
Cruising

Re: Test Drive

Post by doodlebug » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Have you looked at the Macan? Makes the Q5, upon which the Macan is based look like the poor relation.

DeanR9
2nd Gear

Post by DeanR9 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:51 pm

doodlebug wrote:Have you looked at the Macan? Makes the Q5, upon which the Macan is based look like the poor relation.
I did go into my local Porsche dealership but left very pissed off! The salesman's first words to me "not meaning to be cheeky but what do you do?" as he looked me up and down. I was wearing work clothes but his line of questioning to see how much money was in my pocket just annoyed me. Looking at the both of them, I do prefer the look of the Audi, I'm a big Audi fan especially the new/face lifted models and the Porsche although very nice just didn't do it for me. The same as I prefer the R8 plus over the 911 turbo s. I like how the Q5 will just blend in too.

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:57 pm

The other thing with the Macan is;
A) for similar spec you are adding £20k over the SQ5
B) the diesel S is way down on power in comparison, for £20k less. For same power you need the Turbo which is a lot more and you can throw economy out the window.

The Macan will corner better, but given the OP has an R8 for the twisties I'd say the SQ5 is the perfect all rounder for practicality while still maintaining the ability to safely dispatch the idiots on the road when the need arises...
Audi S8 D2 Nogaro Blue "Pace Car"
Audi TT 8N Cab Nogaro Blue
Hyundai Tucson Polar White
Audi RS3 8V Panther Black "Baggy" (sold)
Audi S1 8X Vegas Yellow "Bumblebeast" (sold)
Audi SQ5 8R Glacier White (sold)
VCDS Genuine Rosstech USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM if you want any coding/mods done in Dorset in exchange for beer/money :roll:

doodlebug
Cruising

Test Drive

Post by doodlebug » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:22 pm

It's more but not 20k more. Interior fit and feel is light and day ahead of the Q5, it'll handle way better too.

For me, same applies to 991, noise apart, arguably, which trumps R8 all round. The R8 interior is now laughable, you get more tech in an A1. 2015 R8 is going to have to go some to overhaul the 991.

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:38 pm

Go and tick all the same boxes option for option... It's £20k if you tick them all. I had an SQ5 for 14 months until about a week ago when I sold it (ironically for an S1 as you mention A1's) and I looked hard at the Macan when it came out pondering if it was worth swapping.

The Porsche is technically a better car, as you say interior etc, and as I mentioned handling and ride (what with the air option). But it also has that sloping boot line so the rear space is next to useless. I just couldn't justify the extra large cost just for a bit of extra interior comfort/quality, and for a loss of power and practicality.
Plus, as already pointed out, the ability of the SQ5 to blend in was awesome, proper sleeper!
VCDS Genuine Rosstech USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM if you want any coding/mods done in Dorset in exchange for beer/money :roll:

doodlebug
Cruising

Test Drive

Post by doodlebug » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:48 pm

I get the debate. It's not long that I've been nosing at Porsche, I've got another invite to go and play next week, but I was genuinely surprised at the difference in the quality of finish and materials. As you go higher up quality cost increases exponentially.

I'm not sure any Q5 is a sleeper though!

The stark comparison, on list price is 991 vs R8. Give or take they are the same money though I appreciate there are big discounts to be had on the R8. The difference in finish is staggering.

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Test Drive

Post by josedebardi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:09 pm

0-60mph 4.9 seconds? Trust me, I embarrassed a Porsche or two in mine!! I'd call that a sleeper!

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:11 pm

josedebardi wrote:0-60mph 4.9 seconds? Trust me, I embarrassed a Porsche or two in mine!! I'd call that a sleeper!
I was thinking more in looks. It'd be that big clagging cloud, if the opposition can't see......

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:15 pm

doodlebug wrote:
josedebardi wrote:0-60mph 4.9 seconds? Trust me, I embarrassed a Porsche or two in mine!! I'd call that a sleeper!
I was thinking more in looks. It'd be that big clagging cloud, if the opposition can't see......
Looks like Mum's school run tractor... Goes like a dragster... I call it a sleeper ;)

DeanR9
2nd Gear

Post by DeanR9 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:27 pm

I understand both sides, the Porsche interiors are stunning. More important to me though is the exterior and as I mentioned, I prefer the looks of the Audi range. The interiors of the Audis are nice enough for me. I love sliding into the bucket seats of the plus, surrounded by the carbon fiber, it feels special to me. My fairly short previous car list probably helps contribute to my complete satisfaction with the R8, I just love it. The SQ5 is going to be my work horse and so the interior is nice enough to be a nice place to be and not too fancy to worry about abusing it a little. The way I've gone about things too, along with some brilliant deals from Audi, I'm going to be owning the two at close to what it would cost you to just have a well spec'd 991 turbo s.

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:45 pm

congrats i would have turned up the next day in your plus just to piss off the salesmen
have to agree with the comments its a great day to day car the wife uses hers to commute to work and she loves it great noise plenty of power to blast past the slow pokes on short straights and understated styling i took i home on day and chased an R8 think he got a shock that a 4x4 wasn't fading into the distance just as quick as he thought

the Porsche is a lovey motor but you would have to spend a lot more and go petrol to get similar power

good choice but not a fan of the running boards though enjoy your R8 Plus you lucky fecker
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:19 pm

R8 vs. 991.

Its about more than the interior / ICE.

Its mid engined supercar vs. A beetle.

It might be old but the R8 is still a 5star drivers car

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Hmm, having driven both now 991 ticks more boxes than R8.

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 pm

That's fair enough, but one box will always remain unticked if you go for the Porsche.

- not looking like a cock Porka driver.

Return to “SQ5 (Typ 8R) 2013-2017”