SQ5

3.0 V6 TFSI quattro - 349 bhp
3.0 V6 TDI quattro - 309 bhp
alphamail
3rd Gear

Re: SQ5

Post by alphamail » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Test drove and SQ5 and liked it.
Bit confused about the artificially enhanced sound - what does that mean?
In terms of performance, it didn't feel much faster than my remapped 3.0 litre Q5 and it sounded revvyer.
Despite this I will probably get one next year cos overall I liked it.
Black R8 V10 Ceramics Carbon Capristo

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:30 pm

The sound actuator is basically a speaker in the exhaust that makes it sound like a big V8 petrol.
I strongly recommend (and most SQ5 owners I have spoken to do as well) that you spec ADS as an option to allow full control over the driving characteristics and sound of the engine/gearbox.

This thread on myaudiq5.com had a lot of discussion plus a link to a vid I made about it to explain it in full...
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic ... sq5-sound/
Audi S8 D2 Nogaro Blue "Pace Car"
Audi TT 8N Cab Nogaro Blue
Hyundai Tucson Polar White
Audi RS3 8V Panther Black "Baggy" (sold)
Audi S1 8X Vegas Yellow "Bumblebeast" (sold)
Audi SQ5 8R Glacier White (sold)
VCDS Genuine Rosstech USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM if you want any coding/mods done in Dorset in exchange for beer/money :roll:

alphamail
3rd Gear

Post by alphamail » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:35 am

Thank you Jose.
Forgive me if I've got this wrong but as I understand it, this is something I could ( if available) instal in a fiat 500 and make it sound like a V8? I think this a tad naff. I had a 3.0 TDI remapped A6 with ABT sports exhaust and it sounded wonderful no artificiality there.
Black R8 V10 Ceramics Carbon Capristo

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:42 am

In theory yes, but the deep diesel V6 lends it self to being easily tweaked to sound like a V8... Not sure a 1.2 4 cylinder would be so easy to tweak!

Tho I agree that even with it off the engine sounds pretty good!

On or off you get awesome turbo whine on lift off at high revs.

Before I ordered and was about to take a test drive (in and A6 biturbo as the SQ5 didn't exist yet) my dealer told me about this feature and I also thought it would be a naff gimmick, however once you experience it you don't care that its artificial!
Ask any SQ5 or A6/A7 biturbo owner and you should get a similar feeling on the matter!
VCDS Genuine Rosstech USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM if you want any coding/mods done in Dorset in exchange for beer/money :roll:

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 am

josedebardi wrote:In theory yes, but the deep diesel V6 lends it self to being easily tweaked to sound like a V8... Not sure a 1.2 4 cylinder would be so easy to tweak!
Doesn't the new Clio sport (or whatever it's called) have exactly this? They had it on Top Gear last week and it had a menu where you could chose the soundtrack, inc the Clio V6.

Personally I find this all a bit naff, the M5 is the same. I do not want to hear an enhanced soundtrack, if it's a V12, let me hear it, if it is a taxi, then don't dress it up!

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:02 am

doodlebug wrote:
josedebardi wrote:In theory yes, but the deep diesel V6 lends it self to being easily tweaked to sound like a V8... Not sure a 1.2 4 cylinder would be so easy to tweak!
Doesn't the new Clio sport (or whatever it's called) have exactly this? They had it on Top Gear last week and it had a menu where you could chose the soundtrack, inc the Clio V6.

Personally I find this all a bit naff, the M5 is the same. I do not want to hear an enhanced soundtrack, if it's a V12, let me hear it, if it is a taxi, then don't dress it up!

No, the Clio and the M5 only play the sound in the cabin via the stereo.
The Audi system (also on some VW Golfs and Porsche 911s) is in the exhaust so works outside the car too.

Return to “SQ5 (Typ 8R) 2013-2017”