José's S1 Bumblebeast

2.0 I4 TFSI - 231bhp
josedebardi
2nd Gear

José's S1 Bumblebeast

Post by josedebardi » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:06 pm

OK - first thing! People stare! I knew this car would be a head turner, but I wasn't prepared for it being EVERY car/pedestrian. An on top of that 1/5 give you some kind of acknowledgement as you pass!

So, I'll give a first day review and then some of the pics.

Arrive at the dealership 8.30am sharp. Immediately I notice the handover bay is already full with another car, and not even an S car!! Was mildly miffed, but no big deal, it's about the car, not the location you pick it up in!

Sales guy was excellent as ever, the dealership had got us a nice bottle of wine, and he actually got me a little bottle of JD from him personally as well which was very appreciated!

At this point I will state, I'm not running it in. Once the engine is warm, red line, full throttle all the way!

So initial impressions, FAST! I pulled out of the dealership and gave it a squirt in the 30 yards up to the mini roundabout, I actually giggled to myself :) I'd forgotten how quick off the mark it is from the test drive!
So off we went to the wrapping place, basically a trundle through busy streets, and with the Mrs in tow in the loan Yeti I couldn't spank it, but on a couple of roundabouts gave it some and this is not like other quattro/S car's I've driven! The only way I can describe it, is it scampers through the corners under power, you don't get that "I'm nailed to the road and the tarmac will get ripped up before you lose grip" sensation you get in an S3, or my SQ5 for example. It skips gayly round the corner smiling all the way (as do I!). It is by no means lacking in grip, it has BUCKETS of it, but you really feel it scrabbling to find the best wheel to send power to, it's a great sensation and you really feel alive, they've managed to remove some of that 'dull and sensible' feeling many other fast Audi's get (often when compared to a RWD BMW for obvious reasons) - so basically scampering=good! I guess this may be partially the result of the new 60/40 Haldex system, rather than the older 100/0 with up to 50/50 shove on demand. However Torsen is more akin to this new Haldex naturally so not sure!

So, get to the wrap place at 11am, the guy had an S5, and had just wrapped an A1 boot lid same as mine (obviously a dreamer, wishing they could have an S1!), so he was very excited to see it. We discussed satin or gloss, on the basis gloss matches the roof, but satin matches the wheels... We decided satin, and I'll be getting the grey diffuser painted gloss, and then the top edge of it wrapped satin to complete the look. So we went down the road for a cuppa while he did his thing.
45 mins later, and it looked awesome! Anyone wanting a wrap in the South (Central) go here... http://www.utws.co.uk!! They were by a LONG way the most recommended to me, and also the cheapest :)

So off we trot into the New Forest to get the Mrs new vRS, only 15 mins down the road. I won't go into detail about the vRS as I will be doing a full review with pics on briskoda.net and will post a link here for those interested :)
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/30 ... ?p=3948716

So after pickup we went down the road to a spot I knew from a previous photoshoot with my SQ5 and another SQ5 owner.
Unfortunately the weather was not great, so the pics are really not spectacular, but it was a decent spot to just take a few from different angles for you all to see...

I'm really pleased with the overall look! As stated above, just have to be careful as it's VERY noticeable!

Did a couple of the interior, I'll get some better ones of the interior maybe later today, but as you can see, it's equally insane in there!

And one of the 2 new baby's, we have named them Bumble and Wiz (her plate is W12 VRS)...

So we then drove the hour back home, popped into the in-laws for them to pretend they think these are sensible purchases and go for a VERY sedate test drive with them and then it was off to the nighttime photoshoot location...

I also did a shot of the Bose/door lights, they do look pretty cool!

So there were a couple of negatives, nothing major, but worth noting...
The air vents have a tendency to reflect in the wing mirror which is quite distracting.

The Auto headlights couldn't decide between on/off as we drove through the twilight. In the past my experience of Auto lights is once they come on, they stay on until there is a significant increase in light. It was kinda annoying, and highlighted by my next minor gripe...

Despite the Bose lights looking very cool, they are quite distracting, the passenger one is in the corner of your vision and very obvious when everything else is dark.

Not so much a definitive negative, but it was discussed on here in a couple of threads, the not so colour DIS... After using it for a full day, I have decided I quite like the simple, non distracting monochrome look. It displays just what you need in a nice ergonomic and straight forward fashion. It also I imagine will make warning clear there is a problem as they are in colour (not that I have had one yet).

The cruise control, this I am going to report to the dealership. It's can't just maintain a single throttle position. On a straight, flat bit of road you would expect a smooth ride, no, it basically go on/off the throttle gently modulating the speed +- 0.5mph of the target. It's an odd sensation and kinda makes you feel sick after a while. Never had a cruise control that does this before!

I think that's it for now... The weather is much better today so we are discussing best spot to that the cars for some sunnier pics :)
Last edited by josedebardi on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audi S8 D2 Nogaro Blue "Pace Car"
Audi TT 8N Cab Nogaro Blue
Hyundai Tucson Polar White
Audi RS3 8V Panther Black "Baggy" (sold)
Audi S1 8X Vegas Yellow "Bumblebeast" (sold)
Audi SQ5 8R Glacier White (sold)
VCDS Genuine Rosstech USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM if you want any coding/mods done in Dorset in exchange for beer/money :roll:

HYFR
Cruising

Re: José's S1 Bumblebee

Post by HYFR » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:26 pm

Great colours.

I think I would go Polo R as not a fan of the S1, but well done!

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:34 pm

That'd mean dealing with VW who some how are worse than Audi!

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Just accept the dealers will let you down and move on.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:36 pm

Yep....though in the RS6 debacle the dealer was fine.

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Re: José's S1 Bumblebeast

Post by josedebardi » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Couple more pics from today...

Taken from the top of Hardy's Monument
VCDS Genuine Rosstech USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM if you want any coding/mods done in Dorset in exchange for beer/money :roll:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:20 pm

That's a lovely little car!
Loving the bose lights, the seat backs, quad exhausts, wheels that seem huge, and the air vents on the dash.
What exactly did you have wrapped? Just the blakc bit on the boot lid?

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:23 pm

MikeFish wrote:That's a lovely little car!
Loving the bose lights, the seat backs, quad exhausts, wheels that seem huge, and the air vents on the dash.
What exactly did you have wrapped? Just the blakc bit on the boot lid?
Yep, just the lower boot to match the Audi Marketing shots as this was not made a factory option in the UK. Thanks very much for your comments, it is a properly fun little car!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:43 pm

What's the eaxhust sound like? The Abarth 500 has lead the way proving that you don't need a big engine to sound awesome.

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:49 pm

MikeFish wrote:What's the eaxhust sound like? The Abarth 500 has lead the way proving that you don't need a big engine to sound awesome.
Sounds good, although I can't tell if people are looking because a giant bumblebeast went by or they heard it (not sure how loud it is externally)! My only complaint is it's not quite loud enough when at full chat for my liking.

I've also not heard it from the outside yet, and it has the sound actuator bolted to the windscreen/bulkhead so sounds different inside compared to out...

If you've heard a Mk7 Golf GTI it's basically identical to that (including the sound actuator).

As it's going to be Miltek'd that will solve my issues :)

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:15 pm

Looks great and like the wrap. I hear Supersprint have a nice exhaust for them to release a little more noise. Saw a red '64 plate one last weekend, looked and sounded good to me.

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:22 pm

marc1 wrote:Looks great and like the wrap. I hear Supersprint have a nice exhaust for them to release a little more noise. Saw a red '64 plate one last weekend, looked and sounded good to me.
Yea I saw that, looks pricey though. I'm working on getting in the guinea pig club with Miltek (they've done 1 turbo back non-res so far) or Cobra at the moment. Failing that I can get the Miltek at trade with 0 fitting cost through a mate so I reckon that will be the way.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:57 pm

^ good plan. :thumbs:

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:55 am

Those speaker lights would really wind me up at night. Love the car though! I see a white one every day, doesn't look as good as this IMO.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

josedebardi
2nd Gear

Post by josedebardi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:53 pm

So, 500 mile thoughts...

Firstly, brakes. I went for my first big stop into a chicane and was surprised at the ease of the ABS kicking in. Trying heavy braking a couple more times it seems quite tricky to modulate the brake pressure to stay on the edge of traction, but I'm sure it's just a matter of practice.

Drive Select, did the first 250 miles in Dynamic, and the ride is very firm, and even bordering on harsh (you certainly know if you hit a pothole/low manhole cover!). Today I did a 250 mile round trip of motorway/dual carriageway and as I had a passenger thought I'd try Efficiency mode - WOW - different car, its supple and compliant, and the bumps all but disappear. Someone on here said they can't tell the difference, I think their car must be broken! Also, a previously discussed topic on here, the button under the throttle, traditionally it would be a kick down for an auto box, but in this case in Efficiency mode, full throttle is actually only ~80%, and if you click the button you get 100%, its a significant extra shove, and it also sounds like the sound actuator kicks in - handy for overtakes! I don't notice any change in steering weight, not that I mind, I like it as it is.
It's a real shame there is no Individual option as with other Audi's, I would definitely prefer to have direct control over the sound/suspension/steering/throttle response etc.

MPG, I got 289 miles from tank 1, which was spanking it a lot! Looking like closer to 350 on this one (which as mentioned was mainly motorway @ 80mph). Not bad, and I expect it will get a bit better as it loosens up. I also wasn't afraid of giving it some on the country lanes at either end of the journey though so you could probably get 400 miles to a tank if you had the patience of a saint!

Few problems...
1. The dinked wheel found in PDI, the dealer rang me Tues and said the wheel had arrived (was supposed to be 6-8 weeks, came in 2 days!). I said as I was out n about today I'd pop in. As I pulled into the car park of the dealer they ring me, I answer saying my location and she says 'Ahhhhh....'. They've forgotten to order the tyre to go with the wheel, and they can't find any locally. Great!
2. As I was there, I asked them to look at 2 indentations in the drivers door card, near the interior alarm deactivation button. Looks like someone has stabbed it twice with a screw driver. They are ordering a new door card.
3. All the way up and down from my meeting today there has been a rattle from the passenger door area. My colleague tried to locate it by playing with the air vents/glovebox etc, no luck. I took a technician from a quick spin but due to traffic gave up reproducing it and I'll go back in a quiet hour and get them to look at it when the tyre/door card arrive.
Plus points to the above, they gave me a bottle of champagne for the trouble :)

A query I have open with them is the rear handles and their non-participation in advanced key activities. The handles have the little square to suggest you can lock by touching it and unlock by grabbing but no such luck. My SQ5 rear handles worked fine, and have to say it's more common than not that I open the rear first to put the dog in her basket. They are going to let me know if it should work. If they say it shouldn't I'm not sure what I'll do, I have no doubt it could be retrofitted but somehow I don't think they will be offering it as a solution!

That'll do for now. Will keep this thread updated with progress on the issues and further thoughts after a few more miles.

Return to “S1 (Typ 8X) 2014-”