New discs and pads

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 420 bhp
Ircsome
Neutral

New discs and pads

Post by Ircsome » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm going to need new discs and pads apparently ... quote from Audi was eye watering!

I've seen this set which appears to be front and rear slotted discs with Yellowstuff pads - less dust apparently ... anyone have any experience or thoughts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-Black-Das ... SwSlBY4UwZ

MTIA

Irksome

bigchunk
Neutral

Re: New discs and pads

Post by bigchunk » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:15 am

Cant give you any experience on the ones you have put the link to as mine just coming up for 17000miles so plenty life left in them yet, but when the time comes I have been looking at getting ceramic pads from USA (disk Italia hyper ceramic) from a company called brakeworld.com I have emailed them and got a quick reply, they will send to the UK no problem, they quoted me $80 postage price. Reason for picking these pads is they get a great write-up on the American Audi forums (audizine.com to name one) where there is no RS6 available to them and loads of S6 cars in use, where as in Europe the S6 is not a very common car. also loads of mods available over there too for the S6.

Ircsome
Neutral

Post by Ircsome » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:46 am

I emailed EBC and they replied :
DP42158R front pads £166.38

DP42082R rear pads £87.01

D1848 rear discs £160.44

Front discs not available
So I'm not sure that set will fit a C7 S6 ... haven't got round to contacting the ebay seller yet.

I'm on 17K too ... apparently I have 20% wear left.

bigchunk
Neutral

Post by bigchunk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:40 am

If you gave EBC your correct car details then I would trust them to supply the correct brake parts required, If only on 17000 miles then extremely surprised that you need discs and pads, possibly pads at that mileage but you should not need discs yet. ratio is usually about 3 sets of pads to 1 set of discs, sometimes 2 to one but should not be 1 to 1. if I were you I would pull a wheel off and have a look myself.
My car was just serviced 12 days ago and discs and pads checked and all plenty of life left.
Also available from euro car parts too, with plenty discount codes offered, not sure if they will have EBC ones though.
I am defo going to go with the ceramic pads next though when I need them, even just for the almost full elimination of brake dust that they offer sells me on them.

Ircsome
Neutral

Post by Ircsome » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Yes I'd imagine EBC would be correct when they assert they don't make a front disc for the S6 ... annoying as I think it would look great!

I should pull a couple of wheels off and check the front and back myself, but my stealer (Jack Barclay) has been good so I doubt they are throwing me a line - the car has been London based since new so it does hammer the discs / pads.

I too read the audizine forums as they are a good source of info about our rare model (in the UK) - the ceramic pads however do appear to be responsible for more low-speed squeal which is my biggest complaint on the S6 so far.

bigchunk
Neutral

Post by bigchunk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:55 am

It is weird that EBC don't make front discs but do rears and pads for front and rears, defo worth taking a couple of wheels off and just checking, I agree with the front brake squeal being annoying, but the pads I listed/recommended are supposed to have no issue with the squeal and my main concern is the brake dust, I work away for long periods at a time and the Mrs. uses the car when I'm away and the brake dust build up on the front wheels annoys the hell out of me! lol

Return to “S6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2012-2018”