Roof Rails / Window Surrounds

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
super7
1st Gear

Roof Rails / Window Surrounds

Post by super7 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:23 pm

Question for all those owners who have changed the colour of their roof rails and window surrounds.

Mine are sprayed black. A few chips has started to appear here and there. So I was going to get them resprayed, but I wondered if wrapping was more durable?

I’m going to start using a roof box and rails so wanted to ask those of you who’ve had experience of either.

Would a wrap be more durable than paint?

I’ve been quoted £600 for a respray (decent sprayer). But wondered how the cost of a wrap compared to?

morski
3rd Gear

Re: Roof Rails / Window Surrounds

Post by morski » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:21 pm

Depends on how good of a job you want it? £600 for spraying the rails and surrounds is not a cheap option Is he removing the bars and trim to spray them? and im sure wrapping them will be cheaper. A good wrap should last 5-10 years and even using roof bars should not affect the wrap or paint option.
Ive had a wrap on my A6 for while and were fine 5 years later and did them myself. I did remove them to do it.
Painted my RS6 bars myself and again removed them to do it. I wrapped the surrounds as well and again removed them when i did it
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

super7
1st Gear

Re: Roof Rails / Window Surrounds

Post by super7 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:17 pm

Thank you, this is great info. That’s what I was debating… how much of a difference. Sprayer was gonna take them off to do them. But I felt a wrap could be more durable.

Given both wrap and spray would need refreshing in time.. I think I’m leaning toward wrap. Think I’ll get a few quotes..

Kudos for painting/wrapping your own!

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”