Possible issue with my car - High pressure fuel pump ??black smoke?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
drbru
3rd Gear

Possible issue with my car - High pressure fuel pump ??black smoke?

Post by drbru » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:42 pm

So just came back from a road trip to France - car was and continues to run well and was a blast to drive however.....

Friends that were following me commented that the car (which is a PE at 40,000miles - unmodified other than a millet catback exhaust) was a little smokey on full gas and when it pops and bangs . It was described as a black/grey smoke colour but not something that I even noticed through the rear view mirror

Just been to top up the oil as it is running a little low and noticed what I "think" is a very faint smell of petrol from the oil filler cap.

Couple of questions - is a little black smoke normal? and if I can smell petrol is that a sign of the HPFP failing? Ultimately the car is still running fine but I called up Audi assit who are sending someone round to take a look with a view to getting it recovered to WEst London Audi if he thinks there may be a problem.

By the way, only bought the car 3 months ago through the used Audi programme

Any views will be much appreciated

Needmorespace
1st Gear

Re: Possible issue with my car - High pressure fuel pump ??black smoke?

Post by Needmorespace » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:21 pm

I’m no expert but I thought the pops and bangs were extra fuel getting dumped onto the hot exhaust so a bit of extra smoke could make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:12 pm

My 2p's worth is get it checked for piece of mind if nothing else. Doesn't sound right to me. Could be indicative of an issue but let them check it. Any oil usage to note?
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

drbru
3rd Gear

Post by drbru » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:12 pm

so west london audi wouldn't offer me a courtesy car even though this would be warranty work if my suspicions were correct. They said they only way to get one would be to call out audi assist who came out and gave the car a once over. No problems were noted and I asked them to specifically checked for any fault codes associated with the HPFP. The tech also stated he didn't think he could smell petrol when taking off the oil cover cap

Oil consumption seems fine to me as well so I guess the only thing I can do is to keep driving until a noticeable problem actually arises?

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”