Those of you with Miltek experience - advice needed please

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
drbru
3rd Gear

Those of you with Miltek experience - advice needed please

Post by drbru » Fri May 20, 2022 10:36 am

So this may sound weird and it could well be my imagination

So I got a cutback miltek non res installed on my car earlier this week and absolutely love it!!!! however there is one thing that seems slightly strange

When I move from comfort to dynamic mode the car is definately louder especially with the pops and bangs. If i drive for 30 mins or so, the pops and bangs seem to disappear.....If I then selected comfort mode and move immediately back to dynamic mode the pops and bangs are back.....again they disappear after 30 mins or so of driving. I honestly dont know if I am imagining this and maybe the pops and bangs are affected by the type of driving im doing, temperature etc etc but im thinking is there something potentially going on with the valves?

When I park up I can see that in comfort mode the values are close and in dynamic they obviously open however when driving i can obviously only go by what i hear...

Perhaps one thing I should do... in dynamic mode, when i notice that the pops and bangs quieten down maybe i should immediately pull over and see if the valves are open or closed?

Any thoughts?

Rich85
Neutral

Re: Those of you with Miltek experience - advice needed please

Post by Rich85 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:33 pm

To be honest I don't think it is related to your Milltek because I have the same experience with the OE sports exhaust

What I have noticed is if in dynamic with it popping and banging, then driving for a bit where it has involved 4-cylinder mode, the only way I can get pops back is by selecting dynamic. The same scenario happens if starting the car up, I have to press dynamic and you can hear the exhaust flaps open up. It's almost as though it forgets what mode it is in.

I think its purely down to how the software/map works in certain situations to help it stop chucking fuel away but maybe someone has a better explanation.

drbru
3rd Gear

Post by drbru » Fri May 20, 2022 4:14 pm

do dare I say it what we are both describing is normal?

In simple terms would the "pops and bangs" eventually come back in dynamic mode or would i need to go into comfort and then back to dynamic mode??

Rich85
Neutral

Post by Rich85 » Fri May 20, 2022 4:24 pm

I thought it was just mine until I read this post.

At first I was scrolling over to comfort and back to dynamic/individual (I have the engine/gearbox in dynamic for individual mode) but I have found if I hit dynamic/individual again when already on either mode, it will bring them back to life. There is a definite change in loudness when doing so.

drbru
3rd Gear

Post by drbru » Fri May 20, 2022 7:10 pm

Would be good if we can get to the bottom of this one way or the other

Veedub
Neutral

Post by Veedub » Sat May 21, 2022 3:12 pm

Based on what's described I'd say that mine (MY17 Performance) does the same. When starting I immediately switch to Dynamic for a minute or less then back to Individual. If I stop the car and restart, I have to do the same thing to open the valves up.

audiBond
Neutral

Post by audiBond » Sat May 21, 2022 11:00 pm

Can't say I've noticed this on mine, in dynamic or individual with the engine sound in dynamic the bangs and pops are pretty consistent. Huge difference though when in dynamic and individual between driving with "s" and "d" mode. This maybe where you are noticing the difference with the valves open in both modes?

audinick
Neutral

Post by audinick » Sun May 29, 2022 5:14 pm

Happens on mine with Sports Exhaust, soon to be Milltek turbo back non res.

drbru
3rd Gear

Post by drbru » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:05 pm

so does anyone know why this actually happens and if it is a problem?...

SchrickRS6
2nd Gear

Post by SchrickRS6 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:44 am

Purely guessing, but could the pops and bangs at idle be limited as described above in order to protect the turbos?
Thanks
J

Current :Audi RS6 2016 PE Ascari Blue
Previous: BMW's, Mainly M5's E34-F10 and an Alpina B8, with a few Cozzies thrown in.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”