Super Audi Noob seeking advice/encouragement/love/tears etc

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
James_Saleem
Neutral

Super Audi Noob seeking advice/encouragement/love/tears etc

Post by James_Saleem » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:26 pm

Afternoon Gents

Sorry for the title.

I am of course a petrol head, and as such over the years built up a brand loyalty to BMW.
After reading up about the C7 RS6 I have become highly curious - almost to the point of fervour, as the reviews are excellent and after having spoken to some owners its a no-brainer for the kids and the dog.

I havent really been looking for that long but I found a 2016 Ascari Blue with 20k miles and a decent enough price....and with CF wing mirrors. I havent had a gander at the options list yet but the car is immacculate and is about to be serviced. Tires and brakes look good, I will test drive it tomorrow.

Its got a Stage1 tune to 691hp - apparently...
I am coming from an F10 M5 Comp. I understand the dynamics of the Audi will be different to the F10.
What advice would you guys give?

Attachments
IMG_4310.JPG

James_Saleem
Neutral

Re: Super Audi Noob seeking advice/encouragement/love/tears etc

Post by James_Saleem » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:59 pm

Anyone else come from an M5 F10 - what were your thoughts on the switch and are you happy?

Wattsm666
1st Gear

Post by Wattsm666 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:43 pm

I came from a M5 e60, I miss the V10 of the BMW but the Audi is a great all rounder and incredibly fast. It is a large car, but the F10 must be similar.

I cannot decide what to replace the Audi with when the time comes, nothing really grabs me other than the C8

James_Saleem
Neutral

Post by James_Saleem » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:57 am

Yes - I had an E61 and loved the sound but couldnt live with the thimble size fuel tank, huge fuel consumption, constant SMG worry, bearing issues, vanos issues.....but apart from that an excellent car. The F10 solves all of those and then some, but I cant wait to get into the RS6, it does seem very special - and I would say a bit more solid than the F10 M5, definitely more useable.

Still trying to get my head round the Audi MMI, I hope its logical and easy to understand compared to the iDrive menus.

How did you find the transition?

w00kie
Neutral

Post by w00kie » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:42 am

There isn't that much to do in the MMI, setting up your Custom driving mode is about as important as it gets and that's all on one page. Best (and cheapest) upgrade after that is to get the MMI updated for Carplay/Android Auto which the 2016 car doesn't has as standard but I think has all the hardware already in place. There's a thread on here somewhere about it but you can either use a chap in China and a few wires (for circa £120) or find an independent retrofitter (where the price is circa £350 in the UK).

James_Saleem
Neutral

Post by James_Saleem » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:20 am

Thanks w00kie, I will look into it as I use CarPlay quite a lot in the Volvo (obviously - I am in Sweden).

I see a few Swedish sites do the CarPlay fit for the equivalent money as the UK....

I forgot to write, that I am originally from Huddersfield - and miss the UK like crazy especially since the travel restrictions, I moved to Sweden in 2003. Its a great country, if a tad less exciting than the UK in some ways.

James_Saleem
Neutral

Post by James_Saleem » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Ohh my word.
What an absolute beast.
I thought I was used to fast cars, I was actually scared - that mid-range is absolutely brutal, no signs of struggling grip.

My thoughts on the speed compar:-
In the M5 you would hold your breath whilst that wall of torque washed over you, and the next thing you know its 200kmh, bye bye license time.
In the RS6, at 100kmh on full attack - you are transported through some kind of time dilation event to a location far ahead of you that you think you saw only a split second ago - but your mind didnt have time to register the landscape.....after you slow down and wonder if it was a brief illusion, however your adrenaline tells you otherwise.

And whilst we talk about grip, in Dynamic mode this thing really bites down into the tarmac in ways RWD cars can only dream of.

I am gob smacked, no wonder Audi commands such respect for its RS brand.....those cracks and bangs on the overrun are absolutely hilarious!

I bought the car on the spot.

Edmond
1st Gear

Post by Edmond » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Good choice! I had an e61 M5 too as last car but 1 before the RS6 and whilst I loved that car for its engine the 6 is just such a great all rounder.

James_Saleem
Neutral

Post by James_Saleem » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:41 am

I am absolutely itching to get back in it, but have to wait till they service the car on the 11th June..... so will be trying to educate myself more.

Quick question- I have the 2 usb ports, one has a mobile phone symbol - does this mean I have some kind of connectivity with my mobile to the MMI? Apple Car Play was introduced in the 2017 MY's from what I have learnt?

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”