Cars characteristics & sound changes from time to time

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Vesh
Neutral

Cars characteristics & sound changes from time to time

Post by Vesh » Mon May 31, 2021 6:17 pm

Hey everyone
Im driving an c7 Performance with Stage 1 apr 705hp, car has 60k km down now , bought it at 4600km. Ive added a non resonated miltek about 30k km ago. Sometimes the car just sounds different and i cant find out why… exhaust valves are working properly. Can it be fuel related ? Ambienttemperatur related ? Its a bit quieter sometimes and when downshifting Theres only a Single bang instead of 3-5 bangs… it also doesnt Sound as Dirty when i do a Slow Start at the Traffic light for Example. Dont have Any faultcodes when it Happens, usually Happens when my tank is below 40% (thats what it feels like but im not Sure… Adding fuel does for sure not fix it though. Usually using 101 Shell vpower - or normal 98, doesnt matter i think… The Single downshift bang sounds Kinda surpressed too, Not like the valves are closed but kinda like the sound is cut off… usually its a loud bang where you hear it clearly banging at the end / outside of the exhaust But then you hear it like its banging deeper inside the exhaust… Any ideas ?
Last edited by Vesh on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vesh
Neutral

Re: Sound Changes from time to time

Post by Vesh » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:02 pm

So ist Looks like of i do a Service or Oil change reset it changes Oil Quality from 2 to 1 and the Problem is fixed After a few km of driving. What can cause this ?

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:45 am

Vesh wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:17 pm
Hey everyone
Im driving an c7 Performance with Stage 1 apr 705hp, car has 60k km down now , bought it at 4600km. Ive added a non resonated miltek about 30k km ago. Sometimes the car just sounds different and i cant find out why… exhaust valves are working properly. Can it be fuel related ? Ambienttemperatur related ? Its a bit quieter sometimes and when downshifting Theres only a Single bang instead of 3-5 bangs… it also doesnt Sound as Dirty when i do a Slow Start at the Traffic light for Example. Dont have Any faultcodes when it Happens, usually Happens when my tank is below 40% (thats what it feels like but im not Sure… Adding fuel does for sure not fix it though. Usually using 101 Shell vpower - or normal 98, doesnt matter i think… The Single downshift bang sounds Kinda surpressed too, Not like the valves are closed but kinda like the sound is cut off… usually its a loud bang where you hear it clearly banging at the end / outside of the exhaust But then you hear it like its banging deeper inside the exhaust… Any ideas ?
I also have Miltek none resonated exhaust but I don’t see any difference as you described, maybe just placebo effect

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:45 am

Vesh wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:02 pm
So ist Looks like of i do a Service or Oil change reset it changes Oil Quality from 2 to 1 and the Problem is fixed After a few km of driving. What can cause this ?
What do you mean?

Vesh
Neutral

Post by Vesh » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:52 pm

Tadass910 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:45 am
Vesh wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:17 pm
Hey everyone
I also have Miltek none resonated exhaust but I don’t see any difference as you described, maybe just placebo effect

Def. Not a Placebo Effekt. I actually think its the apr tune, it Night be resetting to Stock, dies Anyone know how to change program on the Fly?

TaylorRS6
Neutral

Post by TaylorRS6 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:44 am

If you are in comfort the car might be putting itself into 4 cylinder mode which I notice an exhaust note change. I'm on stock exhaust with valves disconnected. As for shifts mine are also random. Sometimes many pops and bangs sometimes 1 or 2... depends on where in the rev range your shifting and how much unburnt fuel is there..
C7 Rs6
B8 Rs4
e92 M3
A45 Amg
135i Coupe

Codie247
Neutral

Post by Codie247 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:53 pm

I’m running Milltek non res and can definitely hear the change when in 4 cylinder mode. Was a little annoying at first. Sort of used to it now.

Lee

Vesh
Neutral

Post by Vesh » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:36 am

That’s not what I mean. I’m aware of 4cyl mode.
It’s a permanent issue that keeps being for more than a full tank. ( not like it’s present for 15min and then normal again and so on, when it happens it stays for longer than a full tank)Sometimes it’s there sometime it’s gone. It changes the whole characteristics of the sound of the car and feeling too. Like there’s boost missing, less crackle than usual, and like there’s pressure/force missing at the crackles. No crackle / bang at start. The best I could describe it would be a “in between” comfort and dynamic… it’s super annoying and I don’t know how to reset it. My valves are always open , though the car is definitely quieter when the problem is present. No dtc though… anyone have an idea what to try or how to debug this?

APR updated my maps but that wasn’t it.
Changing oil quality in VCDS from 2 to 1 doesn’t fix it
Exhaust Valves are not stuck, engine is not in safemode
No dtc error at all
Have the apr dongle and app, I’m using the correct map - at least that’s what the app tells me…

It seems like the EPC light (right next to CEL is blinking when I change map with the app
When I change map with the speed limiter the CEL is blinking like it should (apr manual says so)

That’s what I’m currently trying (changing maps analog by speed limiter) and see how that goes… if thats the problem it seems to be that it loads the stock map somehow (and the app still showing apr map) my problem here is I’m driving the car since beginning with the tune(about 60000km now), so I can’t tell if this is just stock or not… but 750hp and 600hp is quite a difference, so that might be it… it’s a waiting game I guess, changing map till everything works as expected seems to take 3-5 engine starts and some mileage … 😑 ugh

Vesh
Neutral

Post by Vesh » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:54 am

Changing maps analog doesn’t solve it either, any ideas ?

Could it just be „bad fuel“ ? Any sensor I could clean ? (MFA maybe ?) I’m lost here, it’s so frustrating, its like I’m driving another car :-/

Anything I could think of is a software problem or a sensor doing false readings and therefore software acting weird.

Vesh
Neutral

Re: Cars characteristics & sound changes from time to time

Post by Vesh » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:56 am

Well just got my VCDS and it’s a sensor error. Had something to do with the breaks (got ceramics) (that sensor thing that checks if it’s raining and slightly uses the breaks so they’re always dry in the rain. Therefore ecu got false readings and got into a kind of a limp mode without a cel. Deleted errors and problem was instantly gone.
Guess it’s some kind of loose contact as it didn’t came back yet after about 500km 🤷🏻

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”