Rear Wiper fail

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Daveperc
Cruising

Rear Wiper fail

Post by Daveperc » Tue May 25, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi all,

OK - I have the traditional Audi problem of a Rear Wiper fail. I suspect I also have water escaping from the wash system in the rear door. (Happened at least twice on my C5's!)

Is it an easy fix? And if so, is there a write up anywhere on removing the rear trim etc and what actually fails and needs replacing? I know it's not the fuse!

Thanks, Dave

Tadass910
5th Gear

Re: Rear Wiper fail

Post by Tadass910 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:54 am

Is it not easier to move to Audi and they will do it ?

mrmerle
Neutral

Post by mrmerle » Wed May 26, 2021 12:10 pm

Is the wiper arm static or is the problem that no spray is coming out of the wiper arm?

If its the latter the its probably a common issue of the wiper jet nozzle corroding and closing up, there are videos on YouTube of showing how to fix but in short the trim pops off (at the base of the wiper arm) the spray nozzle just pulls off and you replace it with another, they can be bought from eBay for around £10. This happened to me recently, my car was three years old with 25k on the clock so I'm assuming that it'll need to be done every couple of years.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Wed May 26, 2021 6:36 pm

It's the whole arm that has failed - fortunately parked over to the opposite side from normal so it's not too obtrusive.

The wash still works, but a couple of times on opening the boot I have noticed water dripping from inside the trim, so I am pretty sure it's water/corrosion that has rotted something.

On the C5 they used aluminium joints on copper wires - Immerse in water for a while and the copper simply disappears! Doh!!

I'm hoping someone may have a video or similar on removing the rear trim

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Fri May 28, 2021 10:48 am

Replacing the motor is easy enough but the hardest part is removing that rear trim. The clips are pita. I use a wedge to open up a small access area, a torch to see where the clips are and then a long flat blade screwdriver to 'twist' the clip area away from the body. Simply pulling away the trim is too risky and its on damn tight.
You may or may not need a wiper arm puller to remove the arm from its spindle
Do you have access to audi repair manuals? They are viewable online per hour charge
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Fri May 28, 2021 7:47 pm

If the rear tailgate trim is similar to the the 8v( 2013-16) A3
two torx head screws and then held in with those V shaped spring clips . You can prise it off from one corner and then see where the next one is . IT does fee like it's going to break but a short sharp pull works .

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Sat May 29, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks Guys - you've said enough to convince me that I'll leave it till the next service in a few weeks, and then let MRC tackle it!

Perhaps they'll have a tuning kit for it :bigblink: :boots: :drink: :beerchug:

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”