Tyre selection for track use...

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
HorsepowerJames
Neutral

Tyre selection for track use...

Post by HorsepowerJames » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:58 am

I’m looking to take the RS6 to the Nurburgring and Spa in June. Can’t wait!
Just wondering what tyres you guys suggest for track work?

My cars stage 2 tuned running just under 750hp so want some decent rubber to get the best out of it. Currently running Michelin Pilot Super sports

Cheers

crapbag
2nd Gear

Re: Tyre selection for track use...

Post by crapbag » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:11 pm

It all depends on if you want to go down the cup route or not. In my opinion Michelin are dominating the game at the moment. There are more hard core track use tyres. BUT they rely on dry warm weather.

For me to guarantee a useable tyre I would go for Mich PS4S. They sit just under the cups in their hierarchy. And are incredible in all conditions. They don’t give the grip that a cup gives in its performance window. But that window is very marginal.

I ran MSS on my M3 for years then when the MPS4S came out I fitted those and the difference in all areas was marked! Wet grip is head and shoulders above the MSS and the dry grip I found slightly higher but with a smaller drop off when overheated, keeping grip even after a few heat cycles. Where as I found with the MSS that after a few heat cycles I had to do a fair few road miles to expose good rubber. Then optimal grip would return.

Sorry for the waffle but I hope it helps.

Craig.

HorsepowerJames
Neutral

Post by HorsepowerJames » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:38 pm

Hi Craig, that’s great! Thanks for the info and advice. I had MPS4S on my S4 when they first came out and found them to be amazing. Not had the chance to compare the MSS and MPS4S on the same car before so hard to make a comparison. Definitely sounds like the safe bet for if it rains. Wish I had a crystal ball so I knew what the weather would be 😂

Cheers

crapbag
2nd Gear

Post by crapbag » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:48 pm

No worries dude.

Haha don’t we all wish we had one of the crystal balls!

Spa is a track I’ve always wanted to visit. One day I’ll find time between other trips.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”