Where’s my HUD?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
HDPete
3rd Gear

Where’s my HUD?

Post by HDPete » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:05 pm

My HUD has stopped displaying. It’s turned on in the MMO and when I press the silver dimmer switch I can see in the reflection that the backlight turns on / off and the dimmer is all the way up to 11.

Is there a way to do a hard reset of the MMI?

HDPete
3rd Gear

Re: Where’s my HUD?

Post by HDPete » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:05 pm

The image looks like a shattered or peeling mirror. It lights up but fills the whole projector frame.

Does anyone know what the part number is for a C7.5 PE RHD and whether it’s easy to replace?

Thanks
Pete

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:44 pm

They use a silver coating on the mirror which peels off and ruins the image. Common fault and audi's response is to replace the complete unit at £2832.62. IF you know your way around some basic diy skills and have some basic tools then you can remove the covers off the HUD and remove the mirror. There is a company that will recoat your mirror for around £40-50 iirc provided you haven't peeled the coating it reapplied anything to it.
Or you can replace the whole unit which is a screen out jobby plus calibration
If you need further help let me know
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

HDPete
3rd Gear

Post by HDPete » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:01 pm

That’s fantastic! Thank you

My friend is an auto electrician and has the trim tools etc, but if you could perhaps give me some more detailed guidance that would be great!

Many thanks again

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:15 pm

Have a look through this post http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... Up-Display on another forum (if thats ok) and you will be able to see plenty of information about its removal and getting the mirror resilvered.
If the info about the company is missing let me know and i will send it to you
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

Saudirick
2nd Gear

Post by Saudirick » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:51 am

And avoid parking for long periods in direct sunshine without it being covered in the future

HDPete
3rd Gear

Post by HDPete » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:29 pm

These guys will do it within a week - £40 all in

http://www.scientificmirrors.co.uk/

He said they’ve done lots now.

It’s a case of removing the trim to get to the mirror (NOT a windscreen out job, unless it’s replacing the whole unit)

The car is usually parked in full sun, so that’s a good shout. However it’s only during the winter months that it has ‘gone’.

Thanks everyone!

HDPete
3rd Gear

Post by HDPete » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:51 am

Here’s the offending article

Quite a simple removal process. Now to ship it to VCSM for re-coating

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”