Mysterious beeping

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Big Flynn
Neutral

Mysterious beeping

Post by Big Flynn » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi all,

Have recently started having the tell-tale erratic three beeps (or whimpers) from the drivers side rear arch. Which I assume means the batteries are dying in the siren.

Does anyone know the actual location and steps to remove and replace the siren unit on a RHD c7.5 RS6, and whether its possible to do the replacement reasonably easily DIY? (I’ve got some time on my hands in Lockdown 2.0).

Have seen a few videos for other Audi models, so i think its just a case of locating it in the car and finding the unit behind all of the kit that is hidden in the back/side panels.

Cheers

BF
Last edited by Big Flynn on Sat May 29, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alex760
1st Gear

Re: Dying siren replacement

Post by alex760 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:38 pm

Copy/pasted from a previous thread about something else but you should be able to look up the correct procedure on Erwin.

I've used Erwin before with great success. Last time I used it was circa £7 for an hour of unlimited pdf printing.

https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showHome.do

I think this should be a video of how it works from the ross-tech site but my old bookmarks are now blocked at work so apologies if not.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/3188/

Big Flynn
Neutral

Post by Big Flynn » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:51 pm

Thanks for that, super helpful. Although its a case of two steps forward one step back....

Downloaded everything i could in my one hour Erwin slot. Enormously helpful and plenty to read! However, it seems pretty clear the siren itself is actually located in the front engine bay by the bulkhead.

So I can’t quite match that with hearing the three beeps from outside the rear arches.

I’m sure it sounded like it was coming from the rear wheel arches. And that matched with some of the discussion on forums for other models regarding dying siren battery. Hence my thinking.

But I guess it could be either i) something else causing the beeps (its been getting more scrambled as time goes by hence i think its eg dying batteries), there don’t seem to be any alarms triggered, or ii) its the siren and its just the sound travelling under the floor of car?

More to investigate...

Big Flynn
Neutral

Post by Big Flynn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:49 pm

So my new year resolution is try and fix the strange beeping. But I’m still not sure what it is, (not sure it is actually the siren. Welcome any other forum thoughts....?

Short vid posted on link below including the beeps (hopefully sound works and is loud enough, excuse the filthy boot lining).

https://youtu.be/T2vL1Uybo2g

Here’s what I’ve worked out:
- It seems to come from the drivers side rear.
- Actually slightly louder outside than inside.
- Does the beeps in the vid, then waits a while (maybe 3-5mins?) than does it again, and repeat.
- happens from when you have unlocked and then continues even when driving. Seems to stop after locking and walked away from car (wonder if it’s related to keyless entry or the alarm / aftermarket alarm?)

Cheers, and HNY all.

BF

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:11 pm

Sounds like its something after market fitted. The alarm siren is very sharp high pitched noise and being located at the front firewall it would be clear to pinpoint where its coming from,
The only oem speaker fitted in the rear is rear parking sensor warning buzzer but again its tiny and its noise is distinctly obvious.
Have you removed the side cubby compartment and checked for any non oem wiring etc?
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

Big Flynn
Neutral

Post by Big Flynn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:11 pm

Cheers. Yeah. Looked in there. Although to the untrained eye (mine) I can’t immediately spot anything untoward/non-oem.

When that hatch is open the beeping is not really any louder. So I don’t thing it’s actually located in that cubby (albeit may be wired via there / the fuse box). It’s loudest underneath the back of the car (eg around the tow bar hatch) so next step may be to take that off and have a scrabble underneath.

Big Flynn
Neutral

Re: Strange alarm beeping

Post by Big Flynn » Sat May 29, 2021 2:02 pm

Slow progress on this mystery. But I’ve managed to get a better video this morning.

https://youtube.com/shorts/iMPwffKX-4c?feature=share

Beeps like this from when you start the ignition (although not every time) until c.5mins after you turn off ignition. 3 beeps then pauses for 1min30.

Definitely outside chassis. But located somewhere very inaccessible such that I can’t see what it is while scrabbling on floor. Behind rear axle / drivers side / up around back box of exhaust / wheel arch / fuel filler.

Suggestions welcome.

morski
3rd Gear

Re: Mysterious beeping

Post by morski » Sat May 29, 2021 5:46 pm

Have a look in the side cubby hole for some 'non Audi' wiring and see if it goes outside through a grommet. Take some pics of it
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

Big Flynn
Neutral

Post by Big Flynn » Sat May 29, 2021 7:06 pm

Cheers.

Pics attached. Nothing jumps out to me as a layman as “non Audi”. But I’m no electrical expert.

As far as I can feel/ see there are two grommets.

- One 6inches further towards rear of car (not pictured) which seems to connect to the parking assist module. And has the barcode tag on the cable.

- one at slightly at side of car which you can see the grommet. That has what looks like proper wiring which runs along side of fuse box and joins into the big jumble of wiring to the left of fuse box.

But as I said I’m no expert
Attachments
3991A0DC-A40F-42A9-AAC0-EA5A925F8BE6.jpeg
88365F2A-97EC-43E2-B50D-86E814C51514.jpeg
21FCEC10-A956-4113-8F4D-E1B00519B198.jpeg
311909AA-1E54-4F39-ACA8-07293DD2C577.jpeg

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Sat May 29, 2021 11:31 pm

Nothing obvious and not easy to decipher too much from pics but can you tell me where the 2 green wires are going to next to the bottom left '645' relay?
A6 BiTdi Avant

Big Flynn
Neutral

Post by Big Flynn » Sun May 30, 2021 9:22 am

Think that’s a trick of the photo it’s actually a loop coming out of the main bundle. Looks too entangled not to be Audi.
Attachments
B829553C-BA92-40AA-8D04-452BED96BD33.jpeg

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Sun May 30, 2021 11:31 am

Hmm then its mystery unless you can lay on your back and have a look under the car where the noise is coming from.. any chance it could be the exhaust valve which is stuck open/close and trying to reset itself?? Just throwing ideas out there. Id happily have a look for you if you want to come over near Manc airport :-)
A6 BiTdi Avant

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”